vegeterians: protein sources and supplements

Hammer-Man

Not only that I am a vegeterian (and that includes not eating fish of any kind), but also my protein sources are very limited because I can't drink milk (gives me a bad stomach and I don't think lectase tablets do a good job for me in solving this problem), and I don't eat cheese except for cheese over 16% fat, which I'm basically trying to avoid.

So my main protein sources are eggs, some yogurt, and some soya products (soya milk, soya schnitzels...).

Therefore it is obvious that I need to use protein supplements, not only as pre/post workout supplementation, but also during the rest of the day and on off days.

I always consider whey protein to be good for pre (and maybe also post) WO shakes, but not for protein supplementation replacing meat or milk or low fat cheese.
That's because I need protein sources that would provide me with protein for hours, and whey protein can't do that (correct me if I'm wrong...).

HSN's "Driver" would have been perfect for me but the shipment makes it very expensive (It might even double the expense if I want to get it within days - which I do!).
"DrivePlus" is by far more expensive for that matter, as I need to buy twice as much to get the same amount of protein.
(Unfortunately "Driver" is discontinued.)

About a week ago, I decided to eat more eggs.
I only eat omeletts, and instead of eating one omelette with 1 egg + 2 more eggwhites, I decided I would eat two omlettes like that every day.
Two days ago I bought some NOW's "Eggwhite Protein". I thoght I might add some 8-16 grams of that every day.
I also use ON's "Pro-Complex" because it contains egg albumin in addition to the whey protein, but I mainly use this for my post WO shake. I may also mix half a scoop of that with half a scoop of the NOW eggwhite product on my off days.

I think I get less than 1g of protein / lbs bodyweight.
I also wonder if soya protein counts as much as other slow protein sources, because if it doesn't then I might need to get even more than 1g/lbs.

Help me please !!!!!
(before:  
sad.gif
 , after:  
smile.gif
)

Protein is protein in the end. Soy if I recall comes with some phytoestrogens though, which while not bad when you're old apparently could possibly have some effect on you if you're young and eat it in large quantities. If you're not that strict of a veggie, and I'm guessing you're not because you still have dairy and eggs in there, go with cottage cheese for a start. I know you said no cheese below 16%, but cottage cheese is a no brainer, one of the best protein sources ever.

Quorn

I think those guys do vegetarian imitation meat products.

Also, peanut butter, wheat gluten, koyadofu and various nuts would be good ways to go. Not getting enough protein is a common problem in vegetarian diets of all kinds, so do a web search. Even hardcore vegans have come up with some interesting ideas.

Hammer man

Creatine is a must then as it'd be lacking in a vegetarian's diet. You can even load for a week or so, which most of us don't bother to do, ideal dose is 5 g p/day, body absorbs about 3g p/day but I think if you are over 100 kg body weight you should stick to 5 g or maybe vene a little more.

Eggs specially egg whites are supper, if you can get hold of frozen eggw hites you are onto what you need, they have no fat and are the best source of protein.

Not being able to get HSN proteins is a bit of a shlep, but me being in the same situation I have learn't to go for the best makes around, in South Africa, that would be muscle science and USN, also they tend to be affordable.

Make sure your protein powders contain good sources of the best bioavailable proteins, whey/casein/soya ar ethe most important.

I certainly agree with cottage cheese it is a good source and it is fairly inexpensive!

For growth you could stick to 1 - 1.5 g protein p/Lb body weight.

Cheers

Protein consumption is overrated, theres no need to be taking 300grammes of protein every day. The optimum intake is no higher than 20% for bulking. There a plenty of vegetarian sources of protein, beans, nuts and of course any kind of veggieburger. Id worry about eating enough calories, eat from these sources, take your pre and post workout shake and rest assured that protein consumption is not limiting your growth.

Except I would be concerned about protein quality during a veggie diet, so you'd definitely want to keep protein intake high regardless.

I'm vegetarian and I generally get protein from cottage cheese and soya fake-chicken (It's not very good, but it's very high in protein for the price.)

Quorn is great, if you can get it in Israel, but generally isn't as high in protein as you'd hope. I often have the fake pork sausages for lunch - but you might have other issues with that ;-)

Creatine made a massive different when I started taking it, so I'd definitely recommend giving that a try.

I've started using soy milk instead of dairy milk in my post-WO shake, which I much prefer. Drinking half a litre of milk makes me feel a bit bloated and uncomfortable, but the soy goes down like a dream.

Why the restriction on cheeses below 16% fat? Is that an Atkins thing?

The general problem with getting protein in a veggie diet isn't finding it, but that it's usually lumped lots of carbs or fat. There aren't that many "pure" protein sources.

While these people might not be able to ship to you, it is a good guide to all the different protein powder variants out there:
Protein Powders at myprotein.co.uk

Also, you might want to check out The Vegetarian Bodybuilder Forum

xahrx
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you're not that strict of a veggie, and I'm guessing you're not because you still have dairy and eggs in there</div>
That is a strict vegetarian, aka a lacto-ovo vegetarian - someone who eats dairy products and eggs. People who don't eat either of those are generally called vegans.

Back