VITARGO?

ucmd

I'm inquiring rather than arguing...but here are the claims made with Vitargo-CGL

briefly stated in my own words:

- because there is no sugar, a pre-mature insulin spike is avoided, thus allowing maximum transportation of creatine

- restores glycogen 70% faster than dextrose

- passes through the stomach 80% faster...

- sugar-free!

Does anyone have any un-biased information on this product???

Thanks for understanding my concerncs!

Dear ucmd,

The nutritional information for Vitargo-CGL states that out of 86.5g, 70g are carbohydrates (Vitargo). This makes the product in excess of 80% carbohydrates. I won't be bothered reading up on the beauty or otherwise, of Vitargo, but I must say that you are paying for a truck-load of carbs.

Vitargo claims to be a unique non-sugar carbohydrate, but this is perhaps, a question of definition and classification. Furthermore, it is supposed to be a potent insulin stimulator.. and it should be if its claim of entering the bloodstream at such a tremedous rate is true. But, I might as well have bread or a skinless baked potato with my creatine... probably get the same "sugar-free" results but at a fraction of the price.

If you wish to spend money on creatine, buy it from a reputable source, and buy it straight. Don't pay good money for a tub of carbohydrates. It's cheaper to load yourself silly with pure creatine than to be ripped-off with a purported creatine-transporter that has very little in the way of creatine.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

Vitargo claims to be some sort of a different kind of carbohydrate...So...this is not true?

Yes, it is perhaps true that Vitargo is a carbohydrate with a non-naturally occuring structure. But it is supposed to enter the bloodstream mighty quick... Many non-sugars are called complex carbohydrates e.g. potatoes, white bread, white rice, pasta... but they sure as hell have a high GI and II... so it matters not how the carbohydrate is classified... especially when you're paying big bucks for a tub of carbs when you can spend that cash on creatine alone and add your own carbs... besides, a large amount of carbs is not the best way for creatine to be absorbed. You could take it with warm water if you like, or with your protein shakes.

everything you say is true Dianabol, but i think what he was looking for is info from someone who used the product, if you scroll down , you will see i too posted a question on vitargo, i wasn't dealt with to my satisfaction, but that is no prob' of course. the deal with vitargo (manufacturers clain) is that it passes trough the gut faster, taking the creatine with it, and causing the insulin spike when the creatine is in your blood, and not when it is still in your gut. they claim that many of todays creatine transporters, use (simple) carbs that cause a premature insulin spike. i myself would like to hear from someone who has actually used the product. this is in no way critic to your comment, i know pure creatine works fine and that a carb drink 15-30 min later will work also, but we (BB & PL) are always looking for supplements that can give an extra edge. has anyone on the board tried vitargo, and does it work?? please help
worship.gif
worship.gif

The major point is, its a supplement scam. If its carbohydrate, it is a sugar. What it is potentially a certain length glucose polymer, in otherwords, probably a longer form of maltodextrin. (the main reason for guessing this is that a maltodextrin has a lower osmolarity, and therefore will increase uptake quicker than dextrose which has a comparably larger osmolarity).
Now it may be true that large (>70-90g) amounts of carbs help increase insulin levels and also it has been shown quicker increases in creatine. This is all well and good if you want to load, but loading isnt needed. The only reason to load is if you want to get cellular levels up to their maximum as quickly as possible. If you are using it for bodybuilding purposes, you just need to take 3-5g (or 0.03g/kg) per day and take it daily. This will saturate cellular levels in ~30days, and is a lot cheaper :)
Everything else, Cell####/creatine citrate/vitargo isnt going to make one lick of difference once cellular creatine levels are saturated.

Buy some creatine monohydrate (like the HST stuff on sale above you) and take the serving before training, and at breakfast on the non-training days. Dont bother with any of the hyped 900% better supplements, because they are worthless.

<deleted>

My comments were off-base; I confused this carb discussion for a creatine discussion.

I'm reposting my opinion I stated on the avantlabs forum about vitargo:

Vitargo is a special carb that gives the fastest glycogen repletion in the first 2 hours after exercise (perhaps useful for sports with weight classes to get a quick refill of muscle glycogen after weigh-in)

European Journal of Applied Physiology

Abstract Volume 81 Issue 4 (2000) pp 346-351

Muscle glycogen resynthesis rate in humans after supplementation of drinks containing carbohydrates with low and high molecular masses
K. Piehl Aulin, K. Söderlund, E. Hultman

Abstract The rate of muscle glycogen synthesis during 2 and 4 h of recovery after depletion by exercise was studied using two energy equivalent carbohydrate drinks, one containing a polyglucoside with a mean molecular mass of 500 000-700 000 (C drink), and one containing monomers and oligomers of glucose with a mean molecular mass of approximately 500 (G drink). The osmolality was 84 and 350 mosmol · l-1, respectively. A group of 13 healthy well-trained men ingested the drinks after glycogen depleting exercise, one drink at each test occasion. The total amount of carbohydrates consumed was 300 g (4.2 g · kg-1) body mass given as 75 g in 500 ml water immediately after exercise and again 30, 60 ad 90-min post exercise. Blood glucose and insulin concentrations were recorded at rest and every 30 min throughout the 4-h recovery period. Muscle biopsies were obtained at the end of exercise and after 2 and 4 h of recovery. Mean muscle glycogen contents after exercise were 52.9 (SD 27.4) mmol glycosyl units · kg-1 (dry mass) in the C group and 58.3 (SD 35.4) mmol glycosyl units · kg-1 (dry mass) in the G group. Mean glycogen synthesis rate was significantly higher during the initial 2 h for the C drink compared to the G drink: 50.2 (SD 13.7) mmol · kg-1 (dry mass) · h-1 in the C group and 29.9 (SD 12.5) mmol · kg-1 (dry mass) · h-1 in the G group. During the last 2 h the mean synthesis rate was 18.8 (SD 33.3) and 23.3 (SD 22.4) mmol · kg-1 (dry mass) · h-1 in the C and G group, respectively (n.s.). Mean blood glucose and insulin concentrations did not differ between the two drinks. Our data indicted that the osmolality of the carbohydrate drink may influence the rate of resynthesis of glycogen in muscle after its depletion by exercise.

BUT: This is only relevant if you have to get in the carbs in 2 hours or less as muscle glycogen. The average bodybuilder shouldn't give a dang about it if he has a faster glycogen resynthesis in the first two hours but the same witihin four hours. Same goes for creatine. Get it with water, and that's it. please. Just my 0.02...

Back