Warm Up and Jump performance

dkm1987

J Strength Cond Res. 2008 Jan;22(1):226-9.

The impact of different warm-up protocols on vertical jump performance in male
collegiate athletes.

Holt BW, Lambourne K.

Strength and Conditioning Athletic Department, University of Evansville,
Evansville, Indiana, USA. [email protected]

The purpose of this study was to compare the impact of different types of warm-up
on countermovement vertical jump (VJ) performance. Sixty-four male Division I
collegiate football players completed a pretest for VJ height. The participants
were then randomly assigned to a warm-up only condition, a warm-up plus static
stretching condition, a warm-up plus dynamic stretching condition, or a warm-up
plus dynamic flexibility condition. VJ performance was tested immediately after
the completion of the warm-up. The results showed that there was a significant
difference (P < .05) in VJ performance between the warm-up groups. Posttest jump
performance improved in all groups; however, the mean for the static stretching
group was significantly lower than the means for the other 3 groups. The static
stretching negated the benefits gained from a general warm-up when performed
immediately before a VJ test.

J Sci Med Sport. 2007 Dec;10(6):403-10.

Warm-up or stretch as preparation for sprint performance?

Stewart M, Adams R, Alonso A, Van Koesveld B, Campbell S.

Warm-up and stretching are widely used as techniques in preparation for intense physical activity, yet there is little information available to compare their effectiveness in relation to athletic performance. Fourteen elite Under-19 year old rugby league footballers undertook each of four preparation protocols (no preparation, stretching only, warm-up only, warm-up and stretching) in four successive testing sessions. Protocols were randomly allocated to players in a counterbalanced design so that each type of preparation occurred equally on each day of testing. During each session, athletes performed three solo sprint trials at maximum speed. Sprints were of 40-m distance and were electronically timed with wind speed and direction recorded. Preparation involving warm-up resulted in significantly faster sprint times compared to preparations having no warm-up, with a diminishing effect over the three trials. On the first trial, warm-up resulted in a mean advantage of 0.97 m over 40 m. Stretching resulted in a mean disadvantage of 0.18 m on the first trial, and no significant effect overall despite significant wind assistance. Warm-up was effective at improving immediate sprint performance, whereas an equivalent duration of lower limb stretching had no effect.

More bad news for static stretching, but I cannot fathom going to Deadlift without stretching my legs. Nevertheless, I also do some dynamic stretching (jumps and squats) followed up by an abbreviated warmup routine.

Back