Water and Fluid Intake

Autobot

Hi guys,

I have been more conscious about drinking enough water, I am currently taking in 1.5 liters a day. Should I increase this amount? I also drink alot of lowfat milk, should this count toward my water intake?

thanks in advance
worship.gif

Lets not confuse water intake with anything else for simplicity sake.
To calculate your “Water” intake just times your body weight with .66 to get the ounces required.
Let say you weight 200 lb X .66= 132 oz. (A gallon is 128 oz.)
132 divided by 128 =1.03 gallons of water a day ,just a little over a gallon.
This is just a minimum to start from. If you do a lot of sweating then adjust accordingly

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sonny @ Oct. 09 2004,10:22)]Lets not confuse water intake with anything else for simplicity sake.
To calculate your “Water” intake just times your body weight with .66 to get the ounces required.
Let say you weight 200 lb X .66= 132 oz. (A gallon is 128 oz.)
132 divided by 128 =1.03 gallons of water a day ,just a little over a gallon.
This is just a minimum to start from. If you do a lot of sweating then adjust accordingly
Please understand this varies greatly among differing people and their individual sweat dynamic. But overall I agree drink plenty of water. Enough so you have 5 to 6 clear urinations daily.

One last note 8 oz of Skim Milk is roughly 7.8 oz of water.

Greatly? No!
Somewhat? Yes!
How much more would you think a person is supposed to drink over the .66 formula.
Not to be argrumentive, but.
A pint? Probably
A quart ? Possible .
An additional gallon? Very unlikely

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sonny @ Oct. 09 2004,11:36)]Greatly? No!
Somewhat? Yes!
How much more would you think a person is supposed to drink over the .66 formula.
Not to be argrumentive, but.
A pint? Probably
A quart ? Possible .
An additional gallon? Very unlikely
I didn't say over or under the .66 per, you made the assumption I was talking in excess.

Yes greatly, look at the studies that show what an athlete needs to drink in way of body fluids, each and every one points to a large discrepency based on their individual sweat dynamic, temperature, humidity, diurnal effects of training, duration of training, and macronutrient intake.

Sonny I wasn't disagreeing with you, I mentioned plenty of water could be a gallon, could be less, could be more. Which is why I said, aim for 5 to 6 clear urinations per day, if you acheive that most likely you are drinking enough.

As DKM has noted that everyone is different,
The frequency of your elimination is dependent on
many factors. I feel 5+ isn’t to far off for one who is use to it.
But, at first it is more like 8-10 or more .
The reason for the “clear” is to show that the proper
“Flush” is taking place.
A person who has become accustom to the proper
Increase in hydration tend to be able to have better
Bladder retention than to one who is just beginning.

Let me add, the average person expels about40 oz of fluid daily, through sweat and elimination. Those who work heavily and althletes expel more (naturally), but again the average is not more than double, so 80 oz (give or take).
So my point being for one to consume a gallon of water per day on top of the other water consumed through feeding(fruits, vegetables,flavored drinks, and yes milk and we should all be eating plenty of fruits and veggies, see Stare, FJ, and McWilliams M. Nutrition for Good Health. Fullerton, CA: Plycon, 1974, p. 175.)
, which BTW can be calculated, is a buttload of fluid and has not been shown in studies to be anymore advantageous than just replacing what you use, (see Popowski, LA, Oppliger RA, Lambert GP, Johnson RF, Johnson AK, and Gisolfi CV. Blood and urinary measures of hydration status during progressive acute dehydration. Med Sci Sports Exerc 33: 747-752, 2001.)
also interestingly enough the studies based on athletes show that carbs and phosphorous are two main other substances that need replacing during athletic training and events (when looking at performance).
Again not disagreeing with Sonny, it is much better to err on the side of caution, especially when it comes to fluid intake, and I personally agree the more the merrier, to an extent, too much can cause problems also, lowered electrolytes, phosphorous and even shock (in the extreme).
As far as clear urination, the clearer the urinations through out the day, means you are expelling waste products, but as Sonny points out this varies individually as to urinary volume(from, "Drink at least eight glasses of water a day." Really? Is there scientific evidence for "8 × 8"? Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol Vol. 283, Issue 5, R993-R1004, November 2002
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Although the volume varies greatly among individuals, in our student laboratory the mean value was 1,520 ml/24 h , with a mean urine osmolality of 590 mosmol/kgH2O. Both values are those generally cited as being "normal," namely, 1,500 ml/24 h and 600 mosmol/kgH2O, respectively , substrate intake and many other factors (see Valtin, H, and Schafer JA. Renal Function Mechanisms Preserving Fluid and Solute Balance in Health (3rd ed.). Boston: Little Brown, 1995.)
, it also does not include the idea of drinking a 12 pack and having to piss like a horse every two beers. :D

Most people would not need anywhere near 1gallon of water on top of all the fluids gained from metabolism, food and other beverages.

As long as your wizz is clear consistently throughout the day, (apart from first thing in the morning) then all should be well. Some mayneed more around training, especially in a hot enviroment. But bodybuilding work is nothing at all similar to a endurance athletes requirements.

You said
“of all the fluids gained from metabolism, food and other beverages.”
First of all before we get into a long debate.
I have just one question for the “Expert “.
If possible please answer directly without a lot of rhetoric.
What kind of “Fluids” other than water do you have in mind?
If you are drinking something other than H2O that is suppose to be of some benefit to the body I would really like to know what it is?
Water is water no mater what altered form you may find it in.

Sonny, I am not the "Expert" but anything that contains water attributes to water balance IE. Fruit, Milk, Coffee, Tea, Soda, Vegetables, Cooked Rice, Cooked Pasta. Remember there are fluids in foods.
In the post above I put in some references, if you are interested look up those references and it will substantiate what Aaron is saying here.

He referred to it as “fluids” and I just want to know what other fluids he had in mind other that H2O.
Water is water no mater what altered form you may find it in.
" Anything that contains water attributes to water balance"
Not all .........
Coffee, teas contain caffeine which is a diuretic. Even though they contain water the action of a diuretic interfere with this kidney action by reducing the reabsorption of water and salts into the blood. Diuretics can also increase blood flow through the kidney, causing more water and salt to be filtered out
The items you have indicated do have water.
That is why when a person is trying to properly hydrate he needs to concentrate on plain old water (H20) (Not rice, grapes) .
To keep on a level playing field a average person would have to calculate the water content of a grape or orange, which is very unlikely to happen.
So, To be safe just use water as your guide.
If you want to be in the ballpark and you have all the tools to calculate the content of water in a grape then you would use 2 divided by your weight to figure the added H20 requirement
2/200= 100 oz. If you weigh 200lb’s
Now if he had said “additional fluids containing water”, then we would be in agreement.
Not trying to split hairs.
Just trying to see thing clearly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sonny @ Oct. 11 2004,9:25)]1. Water is water no mater what altered form you may find it in.
" anything that contains water attributes to water balance"
2.Not all .........
Coffee, teas contain caffeine which is a diuretic. Even though they contain water the action of a diuretic interfere with this kidney action by reducing the reabsorption of water and salts into the blood. Diuretics can also increase blood flow through the kidney, causing more water and salt to be filtered out
3.The items you have indicated do have water.!
4.That is why when a person is trying to properly hydrate he needs to concentrate on plain old water (H20) (Not rice, grapes) .
5.So! To be safe just use water as your guide.
6.Now if he had said “additional fluids containing water”, then we would be in agreement.
1. Agreed
2. Not true, again read the studies I have posted, coffee, tea, beer, even though they do have a diuretic component they still contribute to water balance. Understand balance is an even distribution of in vs. out. So even with the diuretic component, if you drink 8 oz of tea and wizz and sweat out 6 you are in a postive balance. If you are saying that the diuretic nature of these fluids make one expel more than ingest please give me a reference for this?
3. As 1 above agreed
4.Agreed as noted
5. Same as 4.
6. I am assuming this is what he meant but he'll have to answer that.

On a final note why all the exclamation points all the time
:confused:

“On a final note why all the exclamation points all the time”
I don't know! Except where I'm exclaiming.
Must be the grammar checker in my MSWORD processor.
I write it in “Word” and then cut and paste.
Most should be commas.

The body only gets ill because of 3 reasons.
Malnutrition
Dehydration
Stress
The body will repair (Within realistic reasoning) itself in a very timely as long as the above 3 have been answered to.
If you cut your finger it will mend itself as long as you don’t introduce something that will prevent it from doing so.
Dehydration is the most common problem we have. Our body doesn’t signal as to this condition as loudly as it does to malnutrition or stress.
I’m been involved (off and on) in cancer research for going on 20 years.
Moreover, at nearly all the seminars around the world the subject of Dehydration inevitably comes up, and through my observation I have see a collective agreement among some of the best doctors (in the field of oncology) have concluded that Dehydration is a major problem.
Additionally, I’m not going to sit here and beef myself up with claims of a PhD , and/or infinitesimal knowledge on any subject. I don’t have to or feel it is required.
So! (Yes DKM another exclamation point) you guys can drink anything you want
I really don’t care. I will continue to consume my gallon plus every day.
I’m not going to try to figure the balance. I’m not going to try to figure out how much of a plus or minus of H20 some things have on me as I feel it a quest in futility. If you guys want to do it them just fine .
Have you ever meet anyone (healthy Adult) who has actually over hydrated him or herself. I suspect not!
In the beginning I tried to give this guy a guideline to address his H20 consumption without referring to the atomic scale to do so.
What’s what the average guy or gal wants a simple guide to go by.
Nevertheless, some people try to baffle us with Bullsh**.
I see it every day
When I first came to the forum I thought that there were some very smart guys around, but then after I’ve been here a month have found out otherwise.
4 to 5 at the most. I discovered that most are nothing more than cynical.
I have read the supposed research that I’ve been directed to and can’t help but notice that (most) the amounts are the minims.
I’m not going to sit here and try to substantiate ANY of my claims either, because it gets me nowhere. Except to waste my time.
I don’t care if anyone believe it or not nor to I care to hear a rebuttal.
Some may, but I do not.
Take it or leave it. That’s what I do.
I either accept it after careful study or reject it.
As I’m sure any intelligent person would do.
Call this a rant if you want, But
"Frankly Scarlet I don't give a d amn!"
Thanks for your time .
Dr. S .Lewis Phd ( Post Hole Digger )
By the way when I was in grade school my report card always stated "Doesn't play well with others"
I never could figure out why
happy.gif

That seems a rather absolute statement. What about Infection? Environmental poisoning? Cancer?

Just a note from a casual observer: You seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder and are more argumentive than constructive in your posting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Autobot @ Oct. 04 2004,7:57)]Hi guys,
I have been more conscious about drinking enough water, I am currently taking in 1.5 liters a day. Should I increase this amount? I also drink alot of lowfat milk, should this count toward my water intake?
thanks in advance
worship.gif
This was the question and I was only trying to answer it to the best of my ability.
Moreover, as of yet I don't think his questions was answered.
Again, A lot of rhetoric without an answer.
I tried.
I think he is entitled to one don’t you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sonny @ Oct. 12 2004,10:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Autobot @ Oct. 04 2004,7:57)]Hi guys,
thanks in advance
worship.gif
This was the question and I was only trying to answer it to the best of my ability.
Moreover, as of yet I don't think his questions was answered.
Again, A lot of rhetoric without an answer.
I tried.
I think he is entitled to one don’t you?
I think Sonny did try and help, also his answer was adequate, me personally I wasn't trying to murk the waters and if I did please excuse me. I was merely pointing that Sonny's answer, although a very reasonable assumption and in no means incorrect, was a very broad generalization. I personally feel it is a whole lot more individualistic but if someone wants to drink .66 ounces per lb then so be it.

Now personally I do not believe someone needs this much, but that is my opinion, based on the research I have seen. In my own daily practice I drink at least 2 liters (@67 oz), sometimes 3, of water each day on top of 1 cup orange juice, 2 to 3 cups milk, 2 cups coffee and the very rare diet soda. But that doesn't mean one needs less or more it is just what I do.
blush.gif

Well then, I will offer my own, relatively worthless, opinion: If your urine is clear you are well hydrated - if not, drink more.

Personally, I have a 32oz cup that I fill before each meal. I make sure to drink about half with the meal and then nurse the remainder between meals.

Back