Weights, cardio and stuff log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Jester, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Carrying heavy stuff down tight, twisting stairs. Wrong angle and wrong load. Surgeon thinks there was probably about a force of ~10x BW going across the joint on the wrong downward step.

Friday:

AM & PM:

DB rows; 6,6,6 - 60kg.

Dips; 8,8 - BW.

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

AM:

Chins; 4,4,4,4 - BW.

Dips; 8,8 - BW.

PM:

Chins; 4,4,4,4 - BW.

Dips; 8,8 - BW.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  3. Lol

Lol Super Moderator Staff Member

So, I'm guessing it was an ankle injury? Hips and knees seem more likely to sustain soft-tissue damage but I know that the distal ends of the tibia & fibula can fracture during awkward, heavily-loaded movements.
    I suppose that's one of the hazards of being strong: you go where others fear to tread!

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

It's the knee - femoral chrondal defect. 5 bits of articular cartilage removed, totalling about 6 x 12mm, then scraped bak more to even it out, then microfracture to reach the stem cells, leak them out and grow replacement fibrous cartilage (about 80% as good as the original hyaline stuff that's there).

I'm unable to do lower body work until January, and nothing remorely resembling a squat or press for about 5-6 months (so March-ish). Good Mornings and Deadlifts will be ok though - it's the shear forces that are the issue.

Right now I have 70 degrees of flexion unloaded (i.e. when seated). I'm going to be Captain Upper Body for another 2-3 weeks, then rehab begins in full (crutches and brace gone, cycling begins). I need to build the quads up without putting load through the knee (yes, it's as paradoxical as it sounds), and cycling is the way to do it - step 1, at least.

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

AM:

DB Rows; 6,6,6 - 60kg. Not sure I can keep these in right now. Might just be a bit taxing on the knee.

Dips; 8,8 - BW.

6. Lol

Man alive, Jester. As far as I am aware, cartilaginous repair occurs in phases so it can take a year or more before the really tough stuff is in place. I'm sure you will rehab sensibly because you're obviously well informed. I really do wish you all the very best and look forward to reading your log as you make progress.

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

6 months is the timeline for total recovery, 3-4 months before Good Mornings and Rack Pulls get put back in. Probably 5-6 months before pressing begins.

Cheers, mate.

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

AM:

DB Rows; 6,6,6 - 60kg.

Dips; 8,8 - BW.

PM:

Chins; 4,4,4 - BW.

Dips; 10 - BW.

I definitely can't continue the workout frequency right now, being on RFL.

I think I will go to 3x weekly and aim for a rep total; 30 per day for push and pull. Progression may be more viable soon, however I'm decreasing rep speed to increase TUT.

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

DB Shrugs; 6,6,6 - 60kg.

Chins; 20 - BW, max-stim. Infinitely better on my joints.

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Last two days:

Chins; 20 -BW, max-stim.

11. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Chins; 2,3,3,3,3,3,3 - BW.

Dips; 10,10 - BW.

Past the halfway for crutches. Just under three weeks to go.

Goal for next year is 300kg dead and 180kg bench without appreciable BW change.

Squatting won't happen for a while, but hey ... legitimate excuse not to squat - works for me.

12. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Chins; 7x3 - BW

13. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Back from work travel ...

Yesterday;

Dips; 10,10 - BW

Chins; 7x3 - BW

9 or so days before normal walking resumes ... and then around Dec 20th I can get back into a wider range of exercises. Lower body work to resume on Jan 10th.

14. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Chins; 7x3 - BW

15. Shomeare

Shomeare New Member

I love to shape my body and also like the forums where it is discussed therefor i come to your post and got lots of information. Thanks

16. Lol

That last post!
    Jester, all the best with your reintegration as a fully-functioning person once this week is done.

17. TangoDown

TangoDown Member

Even this spambot appreciates you.

18. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

So it would seem ... ?

Dips; 8,8 - BW + 6kg.

Chins; 7x3 - BW +6kg.

Can start 10min cycling per day as of tomorrow. Fuckin' A it's about time.

@Lol - cheers mate. Rack Pulls are back as of January. I've gotten clearance for back extensions if the knee isn't complaining.

19. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Dips; 8,8 - BW + 6kg.

Chins; 7x3 - BW +6kg.

20. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I've been doing work in the (actual) gym again, which feels great. Nothing lower body yet other than low resistance cycling - I'll be waiting another 6 weeks before that, but chest press and shoulder press variants, plenty of supported T-Bar rows, can almost do back extensions, any number of other equipment pieces.

I've managed to retain my lats and rhomboid areas. Traps and erectors have taken a little hit, chest is good but delts down. Legs are obviously way way down.

I want to get back up to 250kg range on deads within about 4-5 months, which I think is totally feasible. Which means within about 4 months of returning to lower body work. The one thing I can start soon are Good Mornings ... fuckin' hey.