Weights, cardio and stuff log

I got a bit of a shock when I checked in here. Thought I'd clicked on a girl's log by mistake! ;)

All the very best with your recovery plan. What exactly did you do? (I checked a few pages back but couldn't see a post about your injury specifics, just something about your doc saying "a microfracture was necessary to fix articular cartilage".)

Carrying heavy stuff down tight, twisting stairs. Wrong angle and wrong load. Surgeon thinks there was probably about a force of ~10x BW going across the joint on the wrong downward step.

Friday:

AM & PM:

DB rows; 6,6,6 - 60kg.

Dips; 8,8 - BW.

AM:

Chins; 4,4,4,4 - BW.

Dips; 8,8 - BW.

PM:

Chins; 4,4,4,4 - BW.

Dips; 8,8 - BW.

Last edited:
So, I'm guessing it was an ankle injury? Hips and knees seem more likely to sustain soft-tissue damage but I know that the distal ends of the tibia & fibula can fracture during awkward, heavily-loaded movements.
I suppose that's one of the hazards of being strong: you go where others fear to tread!

So, I'm guessing it was an ankle injury? Hips and knees seem more likely to sustain soft-tissue damage but I know that the distal ends of the tibia & fibula can fracture during awkward, heavily-loaded movements.
I suppose that's one of the hazards of being strong: you go where others fear to tread!

It's the knee - femoral chrondal defect. 5 bits of articular cartilage removed, totalling about 6 x 12mm, then scraped bak more to even it out, then microfracture to reach the stem cells, leak them out and grow replacement fibrous cartilage (about 80% as good as the original hyaline stuff that's there).

I'm unable to do lower body work until January, and nothing remorely resembling a squat or press for about 5-6 months (so March-ish). Good Mornings and Deadlifts will be ok though - it's the shear forces that are the issue.

Right now I have 70 degrees of flexion unloaded (i.e. when seated). I'm going to be Captain Upper Body for another 2-3 weeks, then rehab begins in full (crutches and brace gone, cycling begins). I need to build the quads up without putting load through the knee (yes, it's as paradoxical as it sounds), and cycling is the way to do it - step 1, at least.

AM:

DB Rows; 6,6,6 - 60kg. Not sure I can keep these in right now. Might just be a bit taxing on the knee.

Dips; 8,8 - BW.

Man alive, Jester. As far as I am aware, cartilaginous repair occurs in phases so it can take a year or more before the really tough stuff is in place. I'm sure you will rehab sensibly because you're obviously well informed. I really do wish you all the very best and look forward to reading your log as you make progress.

Man alive, Jester. As far as I am aware, cartilaginous repair occurs in phases so it can take a year or more before the really tough stuff is in place. I'm sure you will rehab sensibly because you're obviously well informed. I really do wish you all the very best and look forward to reading your log as you make progress.

6 months is the timeline for total recovery, 3-4 months before Good Mornings and Rack Pulls get put back in. Probably 5-6 months before pressing begins.

Cheers, mate.

AM:

DB Rows; 6,6,6 - 60kg.

Dips; 8,8 - BW.

PM:

Chins; 4,4,4 - BW.

Dips; 10 - BW.

I definitely can't continue the workout frequency right now, being on RFL.

I think I will go to 3x weekly and aim for a rep total; 30 per day for push and pull. Progression may be more viable soon, however I'm decreasing rep speed to increase TUT.

Chins; 2,3,3,3,3,3,3 - BW.

Dips; 10,10 - BW.

Past the halfway for crutches. Just under three weeks to go.

Goal for next year is 300kg dead and 180kg bench without appreciable BW change.

Squatting won't happen for a while, but hey ... legitimate excuse not to squat - works for me.

Back from work travel ...

Yesterday;

Dips; 10,10 - BW

Chins; 7x3 - BW

9 or so days before normal walking resumes ... and then around Dec 20th I can get back into a wider range of exercises. Lower body work to resume on Jan 10th.

I love to shape my body and also like the forums where it is discussed therefor i come to your post and got lots of information. Thanks

That last post! [emoji1]
Jester, all the best with your reintegration as a fully-functioning person once this week is done.

Even this spambot appreciates you.

So it would seem ... ?

Dips; 8,8 - BW + 6kg.

Chins; 7x3 - BW +6kg.

Can start 10min cycling per day as of tomorrow. Fuckin' A it's about time.

@Lol - cheers mate. Rack Pulls are back as of January. I've gotten clearance for back extensions if the knee isn't complaining.

I've been doing work in the (actual) gym again, which feels great. Nothing lower body yet other than low resistance cycling - I'll be waiting another 6 weeks before that, but chest press and shoulder press variants, plenty of supported T-Bar rows, can almost do back extensions, any number of other equipment pieces.

I've managed to retain my lats and rhomboid areas. Traps and erectors have taken a little hit, chest is good but delts down. Legs are obviously way way down.

I want to get back up to 250kg range on deads within about 4-5 months, which I think is totally feasible. Which means within about 4 months of returning to lower body work. The one thing I can start soon are Good Mornings ... fuckin' hey.

Back