What about “DHEA” ?

Sonny

I’m over 50 y o and been taking DHEA for a short time.
What I’ve read on DHEA it appears to be a good thing in increasing testosterone.
What do you think ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sonny @ Sep. 21 2004,10:03)]I’m over 50 y o and been taking DHEA for a short time.
What I’ve read on DHEA it appears to be a good thing in increasing testosterone.
What do you think ?
It seems to be an all around good supplement. One of those with enough mild evidence to say, "What the hell, it can't hurt." As to increasing testosterone specifically I'm not aware of it doing that. I do know DHEA decreases generally with age.

My problem is every article I've read on it starts out by saying it's the most abundant steroid produced in the body. That sounds too much like all the nonsense I read about Glutamine being the most abundtant amino acid to be honest. Anytime you want to sell something worthless you precede the pitch with something that sounds impressive but really isn't, then follow it up with a lot of questionable 'evidence.'

If you look Tribulus ads follow this same pattern. They point out that "studies have shown [it] raises testosterone in men," leaving aside those studies are in another language, or not English I should say, and the only solid info we have on them is the men used were already hypogonadal. Then the followup comes, lots of anecdotal nonsense, how they harvest the plant, where it comes from, etc. Sounds important and impressive. It isn't.

I don't think DHEA will hurt you in any other way than pulling a few bucks out of your wallet. That's all I could say on it. Sorry for the semi-rant.

I've also heard mixed reports, but I'm pretty sure there is no solid evidence arguing that it helps build muscle.

I'm from Australia and I don't think you can even buy it over the counter here.

Let us know how it works out.

Adam.

It will make absolutely no noticeable difference in testosterone levels. Even if it did, it would be increasing estrogen levels just the same.

Pharmacokinetics of dehydroepiandrosterone and its metabolites after long-term daily oral administration to healthy young men.

Acacio BD, Stanczyk FZ, Mullin P, Saadat P, Jafarian N, Sokol RZ.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Although the pharmacokinetics of DHEA and its metabolites are not altered, sustained baseline elevation of ADG, a distal DHT metabolite, raises concerns about the potential negative impact of DHEA supplementation on the prostate gland.

Testimony of the correlation between DHEA and bioavailable testosterone using a biochromatographic concept: effect of two salts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Gibbs free energy value (DeltaGo ) of the displacement equilibrium was always negative demonstrating that DHEA well displaced testosterone of its HSA binding cavity.
In other words when competition for binding DHEA won out over Test, not good.

Lastly 2 Reviews
Androgen therapy with dehydroepiandrosterone.

Buvat J.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]However, it must be realized that DHEA is also converted into estradiol, which may be a risk factor for breast or endometrial cancer in postmenopausal women. Unlike women, no consistent beneficial effect has been found for men in the placebo-controlled trials.

Anabolic-androgenic steroids and related substances.

Yesalis CE, Bahrke MS.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is a weak androgen also used to elevate testosterone levels. DHEA is also advertised as an antiobesity and antiaging supplement capable of improving libido, vitality, and immunity levels. However, research demonstrates that DHEA supplementation does not increase serum testosterone concentrations or increase strength in men, and it may have virilizing effects on women.

Over the past 6-months of reading various research on DHEA
I’ve have came to the conclusion that that it isn’t something that is going to
Make much difference unless you have a deficiency.
Because DHEA is converted into many different hormones
Research does show that in “Older People” (who ever they are?) seem to get the most benefit from it, but I’m convinced its right for me and after taking it over a period of months I have noticed many change. A few are
Better sense of well-being.
Higher energy level than prior
Increase libido. (I didn’t have a problem there before)
And I truly believe it does increase my testosterone maybe because at my age I may have a deficiency and my body knows it, and convert it accordingly
As well as it is a lot easier to lose body fat, than prior
Just to name a few.
I know we can cut and paste research till we all are blue in the face, but here are some that I have read and is how I can to my conclusion after putting DHEA to the test in my body.
I’m sure for you younger guys other thing may be better, but when over 50 years young your body changes and if you don’t learn how to deal with those changes. It’s like the “snow ball to hell”.

Julian Whitaker, MD, Editor of Health and Healing

Increasing the blood level of DHEA, decreases the stickiness of platelets, small particles in the blood that often clump together and cause heart attacks and strokes.
It lowers blood pressure in animals given drugs to elevate it.
It has been shown to be helpful in cancer, Alzheimer's disease, Multiple Sclerosis, memory loss, chronic fatigue syndrome, and Parkinson's disease.
It has been shown to increase the level of estrogen in women and testosterone in men to levels found in younger men and women. As such, it might be safer to supplement with DHEA in older men and women that with estrogen and testosterone.
DHEA lowers the blood cholesterol level, and studies are under way comparing DHEA to Mevacor, a cholesterol-lowering drug
Elizabeth Barrett-Connor, MD, University of California
"In a study of 242 men over the age of 50, it was found that those with high level of DHEA in their blood were only half as likely to die of heart disease as those with relatively little of the hormone. Even with people without heart disease, DHEA seems to protect against early death. On its own, that's good news. But coming as it does after reports that taking DHEA can prevent or ease a variety of other illnesses, it may be the strongest evidence yet that a single hormone plays a contrast role in maintaining human health."

Dr. Arthur Schwartz, Temple University

"DHEA prolongs life and adds"quality": to those extra years. When DHEA was fed to mice, it increased their life expectancy from 24 to 36 months, which is the equivalent of 35 to 40 human years. The mice seemed younger and had a lower incidence of many of the traditional diseases of aging than mice on regular basis. "It reduces the risk of developing breast, colon, and lung cancer in the mice. Other studies have found DHEA can reduce the risk of developing cancer of the liver, skin and lymphatic tissues." DHEA appears to be the first substance that allows animals to lose weight without changing their eating habits. The calories they consume are converted to heat rather than fat, thereby allowing the animals to lose weight. In fact, a 1977 study by Trench T. Yen, a biochemist at Eli Lilly in Indianapolis, found that when DHEA is fed to obese mice, their weight dropped significantly. DHEA seems to increase the body's ability to transform food to energy -- a process that enables the body to " burn off" excess fat but also prevent fat from accumulating in the first place."

Dr. Norman Applezweig, New York Biochemist

"DHEA is the motherload for some 18 different steroidal hormones integral to eternal youth. Unlike hormones that excite cells into activity, DHEA "de-excites" the body's processes. Some of the diseases of aging are caused by the runaway production of nucleic acids, fats and hormones, DHEA slows down their production and thereby slows down aging.

Back