What do you think of these supplements?

Ruhl

What do you think of any or all of these supplements in terms of their ability to build muscle: chrysin, vanadium, L- carnitine, kelp (to slow metabolism (mine is fast)), BCAAs, GH releasing amino acids (Arginine, ornithine, tryptophan, glutamine, glycine)?

Are any unsafe, specifically arginine and ornithine?

Also, do the side effects of steroids come from the steroids themselves or just the elevated hormonal levels? If the latter, then natural substances that influence test, GH and insulin levels are just equivalent to minute amounts of these things that come in the form of steroids, right? As an example, why don't people take straight hGH rather than things such as arginine and ornithine?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]chrysin
waste of money
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]L- carnitine
may help some people, when combined with other things, but research is still lacking. Doesnt really live up to the hype at all.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Kelp (to slow metabolism (mine is fast)
How does kelp slow metabolism? most people selling it claim that it raises metabolism due to its iodine content.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]BCAAs
see thread in the nutrition forum
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]GH releasing amino acids (Arginine, ornithine, tryptophan, glutamine, glycine)?
tryptophan by itself is cool for sleeping, but try buying that anywhere.
Gh releasers are worthless, as if a pro taking massive quantities of gh doesnt achieve much, how is a miniscule rise in gh from a supplement going ot achieve anything?

I pretty much agree on all counts.

Re vanadium, Bryan has an article you might want to check out.
http://musclemonthly.com/article....ork.htm

Carnitine... maybe good for muscle soreness, most interesting research seems to show acetyl-l-carnitine is good for energy and longevity when combined with ALA. But it's not going to melt the fat away or anything.

There is potential for some people being carnitine deficient. Especially soem taking certain anti-depressant drugs (cant remember the name off the top of my head) and supplemental carnitine may help them./ But for normal bbrs taking in vast quantities of protein, its absolutely unlikely.
ALC and the likes potentially have some advantages, but its rather hyped up to the extreme.

I've been doing 2g ALCAR plus 200mg R-ALA a day for the last month or so. It's certainly not magic, but I do seem to feel a little more upbeat and energetic.

I consider this supplement to be more in the realm of mood than bodybuilding -- I can't see any noticeable benefit in that regard, unless maybe I'm missing fewer workouts on account of having more energy or something.

I really liked 5-HTP and L-tryptophan. Firts time on 5-htp I felt this serotonine rush that was unbelievable but unfortunatelly it faded away in the next two doses never to come back. Weird. It felt like those first MDMA hits when I was an unconscious reckless teenager.....

bcaa's can be used during the workout , atleast .2 gms per kilo of bodyweight has to be used , but a simple option would be to get in a 50 gm whey shake pre workout , has a very good amino acid profile .
lcarnitine can be used , 1.5-2 gms will do .
arginine or ornithine , just use 10 gms or so before bed , wont increase gh beyond normal levels or anything , but atleast will act as a somatostatin inhibitor keeping up normal levels . so why not !?
and what do u mean by why dont people take in straight hgh instead of arginine etc ? people use hgh !

I meant why bother with little arginine when you've got hGH. It doesn't matter. Thanks for the info.

Back