What is considered better

Garratt

Wide Grip Row Machine or Wide Grip Bent over Row.. What is considered more compound, thus activating more muscle fibers?

Well if I had to choose it would be the free weight version. There are more muscles involved simply because you have to try and stabilise your torso whilst in the bent-over position.

Freeweights have SO many advantages over machines. But hypertrophy-wise, it's often said that there is only a slight difference. I disagree in the case of squats, deads, and bench (may be others). There is just something besides the synergistic musclulature working that grabbing a weight and moving it with the body does that machines will never do, including real-world function.
Putting a box up on a shelf is better assisted by overhead presses, not smiths, you see? You need a LOT more going on besides tri's and delts.

<div>
(Garratt @ Apr. 23 2008,11:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wide Grip Row Machine or Wide Grip Bent over Row.. What is considered more compound, thus activating more muscle fibers?</div>
Considering that your lower back, glutes, hams. quads, abs and calves will all be involved in stabilization with bent rows and may not be if using a seated WGR machine I would have to say the Bent Rows. As Quad points out, this doesn't neccessarily mean you won't get the same amount of hypertrophy in your targeted back muscles with a machine.

For all the resons above and more...I simply believe bent over rows is better hands down.

That is not to say there is no place for machine exercises, they have their place in training, I use them, mixed with compounds!

Back