What is EFA?

Essential Fatty Acids

Fats your body can not make from other fats or sources, so they are essential for your body to ingest. You get them primarily from foods.

Flax Oil, Fish Oil, Red Meat, many others, if you have a well rounded diet, you probably get all you need, but it is proven that higher fat intake increases test production and also metabolizes adipose tissue (body fat) more efficiently.

to be a technical pain in the butt

Fish oils are not a good source of EFA's

flax, various other oils and stuff are good, some meats are low sources etc. Plant oils are amongst the most important sources of EFA's

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Fish oils are not a good source of EFA's
eh I thought they are the best source? and you said we get too much LA in our diet and flax seed oil is high LA isn't it?
and arn't plant oils high in LA too ,like soybean, safflower and sunflower and of course grapeseed oil.

Yep, Aaron_F is right? See I learn soooo much from this board. That's why I love it.

The omega-3 fatty acids are made up of the essential fatty acid (EFA) alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) - which must be obtained from diet - and its most common derivatives, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). The body is more readily able to use the latter two, EPA and DHA.

ALA
The best sources of omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) include flaxseed (linseed) oil, rapeseed (canola) oil, chia seeds, walnuts and walnut oil, the Mediterranean plant, purslane, grass-reared meat, and dark green leafy vegetables It can also be found in a wide range of other foods including vegetables and processed foods but at very low levels.

Vegetarian omega-3 ALA supplements are available, usually as flaxseed (linseed) oil.

EPA and DHA
are found almost exclusively in aquatic plants and animals. They are synthesized by phytoplantkton, which are consumed by fish, molluscs and crustaceans and thereby concentrated in the aquatic food chain.

Oily fish are the best source: herring, mackerel, sardines, pilchards, salmon, and trout. Fresh tuna is a good source, although canned tuna is not as the oil is lost in processing and replaced by another, eg sunflower or soya oil.

Fish oil supplements are available and, although the cod is not an oily fish, its liver is a rich source of omega-3 EPA and DHA. Cod liver oil is therefore a good omega-3 supplement.

New Sources
Alternative sources of omega-3 ALA and omega-3 EPA and DHA are being studied for viability. ALA from perilla is already available in some countries and krill, shrimp-like creatures abundant in the Antarctic Ocean, are being targeted by a Canadian company as a future omega-3 source. Krill oil contains 25% omega-3 EPA and DHA. Genetic modification is also being explored, with one experiment inserting genes which will produce long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturates into existing oilseed varieties. Another uses gene transfer technology to directly convert omega-6 polyunsaturates to their omega-3 counterparts.

Fortified Foods
As the health reputation of the omega-3s grows, food manufacturers have explored the opportunity of fortifying everyday foods with omega-3s. Omega-3 eggs are widely available; bread fortified with 13mg of omega-3 DHA per slice is available in New Zealand and Australia. Malaysia has a cracker fortified with vitamins, minerals and both omega-3 and omega-6 EFAs and a similarly fortified margarine to go with it. In Sweden, a low fat liver pate is enriched with omega-3, iron and vitamins. The Spanish can buy fruit juices fortified with milk, fibre, vitamins and omega-3, and probiotic meal replacement bars, soups and milkshakes with omega-3s and the Finns market a blackcurrant juice with added omega-6 and omega-3 as ALA. This list is by no means comprehensive, particularly as it does not include the increasing number of infant milks, foods and supplements with added omega-3 DHA.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kclone @ June 18 2004,4:58)]How about Olive Oil? Thats good for you isn't it?
It is good for you as fats are concerned, or actually better, it is a monounsaturated fat, but contains low levels of Omega three.

No it is not an EFA.

But is also higher in Antioxidant Polyphenols, a good thing. Actually something in the neighbohood of 5mg per 10 grams of Olive Oil.

Hemp oil is the most perfectly balanced oil. I add it to all of my shakes... except post workout.

Staxx

Where do you get Hemp oil? Do they sell it in Super Markets like olive Oil? I suppliment with CLA, is that good enough? Thanks

Where do you get Hemp oil? Do they sell it in Super Markets like olive Oil? I suppliment with CLA, is that good enough? Thanks

Back