What not to do in the AM

colby2152

I recall a thread some time back saying not to do either squats or deadlifts in the morning since your back isn't as compressed?

Which one should I avoid in the AM?

I am designing my 6th HST cycle for this fall. It will be a 6x/week - AM/PM fullbody split w/o isolations.

The discs in your spine are more hydrated early in the day, which means there could be more potential pressure if they are stressed. It doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't do deadlifts in the morning, but if you have any tendency for your discs to move you probably run a greater risk of them doing so. It really is any movement that can stress your spine though, not just deadlifts. Most people really don't have a problem, in my experience.

I would squat AM as I can't lift as much squatting as I can deading. It might just reduce any risk factor slightly.

If you haven't lifted heavy in the morning up until now and you find you hate it (or it feels uncomfortable) then you could always drop squats or deads from your AM w/o and just do them during your PM w/o. I think if I did have to squat or dead early, I would shift them to the end of my routine rather than start with them.

Back