What type of rows do you do

ZKD

As the topic states, I want to know what kind of rows you do. I've been using a machine that has the chest support and about shoulder width bars. However, with all the variations (bent over, DB, cable, etc) I know somebody has an opinion on which one is better.

I am not sure you'll get a XXX is BETTER and if you do, I don't think it will be correct. The variations are different in many aspects like ROM, isolation and ergonomics. People have different bodies and therefore might like different kinds of motion better then others. I've tried the chest supported row machine, both seated and laying down and they are both good. I personally prefered the laying down one. They give some sort of isolation to the arms and upper back. At the moment I am doing a Bent-over BB row. It feels like a more complete exercise since you are working your lower back hard and also involving some other stabilizing muscles. This can be both an advantage or a disadvantage. It is also easier to cheat and therefore easier to screw up on the form too.

This is the one I prefer. I find that after squats or deads my lower back is fried to the point I don't want to do any Bent Over Rows. The Dumbbell Lying Row also takes about half the time of single arm rows, while keeping my upper back more stable. Not only so, but the dumbbells allow me to use a neutral grip, rather than the overhand or underhand grip that a bar requires.

Of course, ymmv...

My favourite rows as of right now are any kind that allows me to use more of a parallel grip. I'm currently enjoying using an EZ-bar for BO rows - both for Pendlay's (full deload between reps) and regular (stretch reflex) style. When I used to train at a commercial gym, I used to love seated machine rows with a parallel grip handle, or with two separate handles that allow you to start a rep with your hands close together and finish with them shoulder width apart for a great scap adduction and full upper-back contraction.

I'd rather do unsupported rows as I find them generally tougher to do, plus they're good for my lower back; but if I had to deadlift first, I'd chose chest supported rows any day.

@electric - You're right, there is probably not 1 type of row that is best for everyone. I have some shoulder pain that I'm trying to get over so I'm currently trying different kinds of rows to see which one is the most comfortable. That just made me a bit curious as to what everyone else was doing.

As for my personal preference, i prefer standing t-bar row on barbell with an attached handle or the standing t-bar row machine.. i like it for i feel it in my upper back and i can use the most weights a lot.. more weight and proper form used more hypertrophy..

Ryder, with standing rows you mean something like Upright Rows? If so, uprights are different from regular rows since the emphasis is on the lateral delts and traps. Regular rows (when the moment is perpendicular to the torso) the emphasis is on the posterior delts and rhomboids.

Do any of you folks add Kelso shrugs in to your routines? I'm thinking of adding them to the end of a set of Max-Stim Pendlays, possibly with a bit more load if I'm not too fatigued by then.

<div>
(Lol @ Feb. 01 2009,10:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do any of you folks add Kelso shrugs in to your routines?</div>
Usually I do a Kelso Shrug at the beginning of each rep of the Dumbbell Lying Rows that I referred to above.

On occasion I'll do a set of 5 to 10 straight Kelso Rows after a set of Dumbbell Lying Rows.

Funny, years ago we had a great lady named Kate on the board who recommended every row motion start with squeezing the shoulder blades together, who knew it would get a name.

I am like TR I love any prone rows while supported on a bench.

Back