What's been going on

I

imported_etothepii

I completed an HST cycle on New Years Day. I went to a tapering diet (I like this term better than "cutting"). I'm eating about 2000 - 2100 calories per day, save for a day where it was just off the charts. Regardless, I have lost 4 pounds in the first 2 weeks. That's just about what I want!

On top of that though, my 5 rm for squat, bench, DL, row, military press, have all increased. I attribute this to CNS adaptation, seeing how I'm on a somewhat calorie restricted diet.

It just makes me wonder, if my rm's continue to go up as my weight goes down, what will that mean in terms of fat/muscle loss? Can you lose muscle and increase strength due entirely to the CNS, or is this a sign that I'm being very successful with muscle preservation during this tapering period?

After a year of consistant training, can I still be experiencing the "newbie" thing?

You do like opening a can of worms, don't you?
wink.gif

I'm not an expert on this, but this is the internet so I can pretend to be one.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(etothepii @ Jan. 16 2007,07:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Can you lose muscle and increase strength due entirely to the CNS,
</div>
I think it unlikely to any significant degree.
<div>
(etothepii @ Jan. 16 2007,07:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
or is this a sign that I'm being very successful with muscle preservation during this tapering period?</div>
Most likely very little if any LBM loss.

Generally, most would indicate that except for fat newbies a slight loss of LBM in addition to the fat is the best that you can hope for. However, I've noted reports of a few possible exceptions. Iron Addict has reported that some of his trainees do gain LBM while losing fat. Kelly Baggett reported results obtained by his testers in the writeup for his new book, which included some who gained LBM while losing fat. For example:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
Tester C: Was a guy in his early 20’s with about 5 years of training experience. He was about 200 pounds at 12% bodyfat. He followed the plan and was able to shed approximately 10 pounds of bodyfat while slightly increasing his muscle mass.</div>

Both theys guys have something to sell, so take it with a grain of salt. However, both seem sound (not HST guys but good principles) and seem to have a good reputation.

Right now I'd regard such results as unusual but not impossible.

Back