What's old is new again

dkm1987

J Agric Food Chem. 2008 May 28;56(10):3532-7.

Phytoecdysteroids increase protein synthesis in skeletal muscle cells.

Gorelick-Feldman J, Maclean D, Ilic N, Poulev A, Lila MA, Cheng D, Raskin I.

Phytoecdysteroids, which are structurally similar or identical to insect molting hormones, produce a range of effects in mammals, including increasing growth and physical performance. To study the mechanism of action of phytoecdysteroids in mammalian tissue, an in vitro cellular assay of protein synthesis was developed. In C2C12 murine myotubes and human primary myotubes, phytoecdysteroids increased protein synthesis by up to 20%. In vivo, ecdysteroids increased rat grip strength. Ecdysteroid-containing plant extracts produced similar results. The effect was inhibited by a phosphoinositide kinase-3 inhibitor, which suggests a PI3K-mediated mechanism.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 28 2008,10:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Now he wants us to eat bugs to become strong as rats...

...okay, I'll back out now...</div>
No actually seeds and plant parts contain ecdysterone you don't have to eat the bugs.

My problem has and still is the quantaties that have been used.

For instance in some bird trials they gave them 100mg/kg and saw that body mass increased some 115%. But when you think about a 200Lb male would need 9071 mg to match this dose, IOW 9.071 grams.

now if the average capsule contains, on the high side here, 200mg one would need about 45 capsules, the cost? Depends but an average bottle containing 90 caps costs ~$25. You would go through this in 2 days X 15 bottles (month supply) = $375/mo. Guess what I would buy instead.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">$375/mo. Guess what I would buy instead. </div>

A power rack?
laugh.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ May 29 2008,12:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">$375/mo. Guess what I would buy instead. </div>

A power rack?
laugh.gif
</div>
I was thinking a green eyed red head myself but a power rack sounds good too
tounge.gif

Jokes aside, this remindedme of all the plant sterols they were selling some years back that didn't do anything. How is this different?

<div>
(Dan Moore @ May 29 2008,5:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(colby2152 @ May 29 2008,12:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">$375/mo. Guess what I would buy instead? </div>

A power rack?
laugh.gif
</div>
I was thinking a green eyed red head myself but a power rack sounds good too
tounge.gif
</div>
Yeah, I reckon a green-eyed red head could increase protein synthesis by at least 20%. Just not sure what you could get for $375/month?

I agree Quad. I remember buying some kind of plant sterol product about 20 years ago. Quite expensive too. It made absolutely no difference to me, but then back then I was clueless about even the most fundamental principles of muscle building. Think I should just have tried eating more!

<div>
(Lol @ May 29 2008,3:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, I reckon a green-eyed red head could increase protein synthesis by at least 20%. Just not sure what you could get for $375/month?</div>
I know my red head costs me way over that. Oh, and I mean my wife
biggrin.gif

<div>
(electric @ May 29 2008,4:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Lol @ May 29 2008,3:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, I reckon a green-eyed red head could increase protein synthesis by at least 20%. Just not sure what you could get for $375/month?</div>
I know my red head costs me way over that. Oh, and I mean my wife
biggrin.gif
</div>
Ouch; hope she doesn't read your log!

<div>
(quadancer @ May 29 2008,1:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Jokes aside, this remindedme of all the plant sterols they were selling some years back that didn't do anything. How is this different?</div>
Depends on the sterols you are talking about. 20 ECD has been a round a while and made a couple full circles but there is and never has been anything to it's hypertrophic benefit, IMOO.

Bryan wrote an article on it way back but I think he was looking more at it's recovery properties moreso than hypertrophic properties.

What really stinks is that I'd tried 3 different ones, none did anything, and their total at the time could have bought me test. It was legal then, I think.

Back