Where to start for an athlete...

Discussion in 'Strength-Specific Training (SST)' started by imported_demandango, Oct 29, 2004.

1. hi there. i train for mixed martial arts competition (that's like a ufc if any of you don't know what i'm talking about) and basically i plan to do one hst cycle then begin focusing on strength training.

i would much appreciate it if someone could give me some ideas on how to integrate strength training into my workouts.

some info that might be important:

i am 27, 5'8'' and i weigh about 158 in shape (but not extremely cut). i weigh about 165 now (only trained 3 times over past 2 months cause i lost one of my jobs and moved). i plan on working out 6 days a week. i eventually plan to do up to three skill sessions a day, but for now i will assume one skill session a day for the six days. three of these will be very intense sessions, three of them will be medium to low intensity (when i work up to two or three sessions a day, if i am doing three: one will be extremely low intensity, and two will be medium; or, on days where i do two, one will be high intensity one will be medium-low). btw, when i say intensity here, i am talking about going balls out puking hard with the cardio HIIT style and the muscular endurance for high intensity and just a moderate 1/2 hour condition session with technique and light sparring for medium to low intensity. these workouts come in the form of mma/boxing/mt kickboxing/judo/wrestling/brazilian jiu jitsu skills or sparring and related drills sessions.

i want to put the emphasis on my strength increase for now. with cardio and muscular endurance being second. i don't mind putting the weights first in the day of course.

one important thing to note is that after putting on a few pounds of muscle with this hst session i will not want to put on much more size. i hope to weigh 155 extremely cut (low fat i mean) and then cut the 10 lbs in water to fight at 145. i don't mind walking around at up to 165 in moderate shape with similar body fat to what i had when i was 155 which was not super cut (just barely see the abs when flexing).

do you guys have any ideas for what i should be doing as far as exercises, sets/reps and all the good stuff like that?

can you direct me to any references that would be helpful for this sort of thing?

is there anything more i can tell you to help you help me?

thanks for any and all help you might give me, good training to you.

2. no one wants to touch this one eh?...

3. BIGBANGSingh

BIGBANGSingh New Member