whole grain foods

I

imported_diznik

In the "eating for size" article Bryan talks about whole grain foods being an important part of carb intake, and warns against misleading labels that "claim" whole grain status. My question (to anyone whos got an answer) is what ingredients (or other factors) determine which foods are designated "whole grain" and which are not.

Also, if anyone can recommend a good whole grain rice or bread it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Not exactly sure on the first part, but i believe he's talking about the bread in the store called "whole wheat" but when you look at the ingredients, it has enriched,unbleached wheat flour, thiamine and other stuff in it. I think the enriched, unbleached terms means its processed, thus it isnt whole grain. Others can clarify further. The only rice I eat is brown rice, which i think is the healthiest of them all. So needless to say my suggestion for a good whole grain rice would be brown rice. For a good whole grain bread, i'm sure there are several out there, but one that I've found to be excellent (whole grain and organic) is Alvarado street bakery
You can check it out for yourself, but just to list the ingredients of one of their breads:
Organically grown sprouted wheat berries, filtered water, millet, corn, rolled oats, soy beans, lentils, barley malt, pure honey, lecithin, gluten, sea salt, fresh yeast.
As you can see nothing in there sounds processed, just a whole bunch of natural stuff thrown together to make an excellent whole grain bread. I live of the stuff, and depending on where you live, it might be cheaper to buy it in a store (~$3 in store, ~$2 online but add in a hefty shipping charge, because they want to get it to you fresh, ie in a few days or less) Hope this helps...
Keith

Yes, you want the true whole wheat that contains all the parts from the wheat head. Foods labled 100% Whole Wheat are what you are looking for....

Back