why cottage cheese and how much?

Andy741

From what I've read, it sounds like you add cottage cheese to a protein shake and have it before you go to bed and it slows down protein absorption to last through the night. Does that sound right? How much cottage cheese would I eat with say 46 grams of protein? Half a cup?

I am not sure if the cottage cheese would affect the whey absorption- i doubt it.
Cottage chesse has calcium caseinate in it which like many other milk protiens are slow digesting.
I have read that adding fiber to your whey drink would slow down the absorbtion.
Maybe a handful of nuts along with your fiber enriched whey shake might be a good way to go as they are slow digesting, walnuts have the highest amount of protein I think.

Cottage cheese is actually about 15% whey and the rest casseine. The whey portion would still be absorbed rather quickly but the casseine would have the delayed effect therefore it is a good food for a bedtime snack or anytime during the day, I would still use whey first thing in the morning to halt the catabolic effect of overnight starvation. Although I know some who eat cottage cheese for breakfast along with fruit and cereals or toast. I personally eat 2 to 3 cups of no fat cottage per day, but I really like cottage cheese. Also in some reports I have seen small curd has more whey percentage than large.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ May 10 2004,12:40)]I personally eat 2 to 3 cups of no fat cottage per day, but I really like cottage cheese.
Me too. Add some low gycemic fruit and it's one of the most perfect snacks in the world, and it tastes great with the fruit too. Blueberries are my favorite. Maybe we should add a recipe board to the forums.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xahrx @ May 10 2004,6:05)]Blueberries are my favorite.
Bluberries, peaches, rasberries I like em all

Alternatively, you can also make your pre-bed whey shake with nonfat milk, which is 80% casein, 20% whey, the casein requiring hours to fully digest and absorb. They whey can run through you in 30-60 minutes - casein can take up to about 5 hours. Milk is slightly higher in sugar, proportionately, to CC, but dairy is highly insulintropic and doesn't spike insulin in the same way as other sugars (and nobody knows why).

Milk. Also good.

anyone have any info on Indian Paneer?
i typically eschew cheese due to high sat fat, but i have a suspicion that the pressed curd cheese of India might prove more akin to cottage cheese than cheddar.
-bug

Bug-
You're right- paneer (panir) is closer to a pressed cottage cheese or ricotta. It's actually pretty easy to make if you don't have an Indian grocery nearby- recipes are on the Web. It does work best with whole milk, though- skim gives you a grainier cake.
Jake

Unless you actually like Cottage cheese, dont bother. Its tastes like crap in my opinion and you get bugger all protein from it anyway, unless you eat alot of it which you wont want to. Just eat some chicken, a can of tuna, or buy some caseinate. Add some flaxseed oil, the fat will slow down digestion if your worried.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rowdy @ May 31 2004,11:10)]you get bugger all protein from it anyway,

Just eat some chicken, a can of tuna,
" you get bugger all protein from it anyway "

Not to offend but what language is that? ;)

Chicken is great, tuna is great, I eat a hen house of chicken and an ocean of tuna, but they are both hard to blend into a shake
laugh.gif

haha, no offence taken dkm1987. I'm an Aussie.

"bugger all" basically means not much or very little.

Back