Why not soy protein?

slateef

On another thread, someone mentioned only buying whey or cassein based protein powder, but stay way from soy.

Why is that? Isn't protein protein?

But for those of us who remember the late 70's (ok foggy but I still remember) paraquat and the Mexican mayjane scare, it may have it's use as soy isoflavones help to reduce paraquat induced oxidative stress.  
smile.gif

Lucky for me I was a psychedelic kind of guy.........speaking of that who remembers "Altered States"? That was a trip but my favorite "trip movie" had to be "The Song Remains the Same"

<div>
(Dan Moore @ May 10 2008,2:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But for those of us who remember the late 70's (ok foggy but I still remember) paraquat and the Mexican mayjane scare, it may have it's use as soy isoflavones help to reduce paraquat induced oxidative stress.  
smile.gif

Lucky for me I was a psychedelic kind of guy.........speaking of that who remembers &quot;Altered States&quot;? That was a trip but my favorite &quot;trip movie&quot; had to be &quot;The Song Remains the Same&quot;</div>
Dude...
cool.gif

Long time since I climbed down that mountain before...
-- Jefferson Airplane

there have been plenty of studies that say there's nothing wrong w/ soy. I'm way too lazy to look them up &amp; post them, though
biggrin.gif

<div>
(TunnelRat @ May 12 2008,9:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Dan Moore @ May 10 2008,2:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But for those of us who remember the late 70's (ok foggy but I still remember) paraquat and the Mexican mayjane scare, it may have it's use as soy isoflavones help to reduce paraquat induced oxidative stress.  
smile.gif

Lucky for me I was a psychedelic kind of guy.........speaking of that who remembers &quot;Altered States&quot;? That was a trip but my favorite &quot;trip movie&quot; had to be &quot;The Song Remains the Same&quot;</div>
Dude...  
cool.gif

Long time since I climbed down that mountain before...
-- Jefferson Airplane</div>
One of my favs JA

<div>
smile.gif

I can barely remember the 80's!
tounge.gif

Old farts...

Seriously though, the 60's and 70's must have rocked. It's definitely my favorite era of music. I prefer the advances in technology though!

<div>
(colby2152 @ May 14 2008,9:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Seriously though, the 60's and 70's must have rocked.  It's definitely my favorite era of music.  I prefer the advances in technology though!</div>
No computer spreadsheets for you in the 60s and 70s colby.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">there have been plenty of studies that say there's nothing wrong w/ soy.  I'm way too lazy to look them up &amp; post them, though </div>

The problem continues to be that for every study showing a reduction in serum sex hormone levels, another shows up that contradicts it.  In fact, I remember one that showed the opposite.  Never-the-less, there is enough out there to make you wary.  I still eat soy due to it's health benefits and the high protein:carb ratio, but I pretty much stay under 30 gm/day from food sources (soy milk, etc) only.  

As a newbie (which I still am, really), I made good initial gains using soy protein powder, so the protein quality is there.  Note, however, that soy protein powder is about the worst vegetable source protein in terms of intestinal gas creation!  
tounge.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ruth: I thought you used it because you are (or were) a veggie BB'er?</div>
Well, yes, at the time I started I wasn't aware of any good alternatives.  Now, pea protein is available as a pretty good substitute (about 90% the protein quality), so I use that when using a protein powder.  

Soy is still more available as a whole food source, though.  I use soy milk on my cereal in the morning and some soy &quot;cold cuts&quot; on sandwiches.  There are some great vegan protein bars from Cliff (&quot;Builders Bar&quot;) that are just like candy bars, but I have to watch my intake on these, as they have close to 20 gms of soy protein.

Further, it is easier to get a good protein:carb:calorie ratio on a vegan diet if you use some soy.  And at almost 50, I also don't mind having a rock bottom PSA level (0.5) -- no proof that this is from soy intake, but this is a clinically demonstrated effect and I suspect that it has something to do with it.

Still, as I pointed out, it seems best to limit your intake.

Does all that come with a subscription to Cosmo? (! I couldn't resist !)
I've only found about 3 bars that use whey proteins instead of soy. You really have to watch those things.

<div>
(Dan Moore @ May 10 2008,2:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Lucky for me I was a psychedelic kind of guy.........speaking of that who remembers &quot;Altered States&quot;? That was a trip but my favorite &quot;trip movie&quot; had to be &quot;The Song Remains the Same&quot;</div>
Í thought 'Altered States' was a really good movie, but the best movie that I ever saw IN an altered state was '2001'.

If someone says he remembers the 60's, he didn't really live the 60's.
tounge.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Does all that come with a subscription to Cosmo? (! I couldn't resist !)</div>
Nah, Cosmo is way too racy for me!

I prefer Ladies Home Journal  
laugh.gif

1) They use a petroleum based chemical to separate the bean's fat from the protein to get soy protein isolate.

2) Most of the soy grown in the USA is GMO which causes cancer in rats, and anyway is just downright WRONG.

3) Soy messes with your hormones, and not in a good way.

4) Soy may have a complete vegetable protein your body can use, but it also had a chemical that keeps your intestines from absorbing that protein.

So there you have it. Eating soybeans or anything from them is USELESS.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...but it also had a  chemical that keeps your intestines from absorbing that protein.</div>
Could you back this up with a reference, please?

Back