workout drinks?

Andy741

Okay, here is what I have planned for workout drinks: I weigh 250 lbs. I'll be using glucose for simple sugar I think, unless advised otherwise.

pre-workout drink 30 minutes before workout: 34g creatine for loading (5-6 days? including non workout days), 3.4g after loading, 20-30g simple sugar, 20g protein

just before workout drink: 20-30g simple sugar with water

post workout drink as soon as possible after workout: 20g protein, 80g simple sugar

It seems like a lot of sugar though so I'm not sure.

If you take something 30 mins before workouts, it should better be a lower GI carb, like an apple or something. If you take sugar it will spike your glucose, insulin will subsequently go up and then it will bring blood glucose down when you most need it: in the middle of the workout.

However you can take sugar, Lucozade or other high GI carbs just when you begin your workout: the rise of catecholamines will prevent the insulin spike. So:

Either low GI carbs 30 mins before workouts
Or high GI carbs at the beginning of the workouts

[b said:
Quote[/b] (micmic @ April 21 2003,3:15)]If you take sugar it will spike your glucose, insulin will subsequently go up and then it will bring blood glucose down when you most need it: in the middle of the workout.
For most people this doesnt seem a problem. There are some people who are most sensitive to changes in blood glucose tho.

Personally overall, I would just take the protein and glucose right before the training session. not 30mins prior.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ April 21 2003,8:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (micmic @ April 21 2003,3:15)]If you take sugar it will spike your glucose, insulin will subsequently go up and then it will bring blood glucose down when you most need it: in the middle of the workout.
For most people this doesnt seem a problem. There are some people who are most sensitive to changes in blood glucose tho.
Personally overall, I would just take the protein and glucose right before the training session. not 30mins prior.
Isn't a total of 140 grams of sugar a little bit in the high end as well ?

I'd skip the sugar water right before the workout (or maybe drink it during the workout) and rather try to get the protein shake as close as possible. Then, I think I'd go a little easier on the sugar afterwards, but...As Aaron suggests, different people react differently.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Isn't a total of 140 grams of sugar a little bit in the high end as well ?

The "official" recommendations seem to agree that greater muscle recovery occurs when the post workout drink contains protein and carbohydrate in an 1:4 ratio. So it's ok, especially if one is in a bulking phase.

Pre-workout now, I don't need more than 30gr of carbs but this would also depend on the individual (bodyweight, duration & intensity of training, etc). And he's quite heavy, so...

If I took in that much CHO I would be a fat slob, I think that is very individualized. Who needs 140g CHO in the WO period anyways, that is my common sense principle kicking in. :D

He's 250 lbs, he probably needs more than 3500 kcals just for maintenance. 140gr of carbs are just 560 kcals. If we count the protein too, it's 720 kcals, 1/5 of his daily requirements. What better time to consume them other than around the workouts ?

The reason I would take the 20-30g of simple sugare with the pre workout protein shake is that Bryan mentioned in another post on creatine to take creatine with your protein drink and 20-30g simple sugar. Maybe I should take that right before the workout and drink some sugar water during the workout to minimize the catabolism?

yes andy, the preworkout drink including the sugar and creatine is fine. its the extra 'just before workout' sugar that i am questioning. do you really need it? i dont think so. either take your preworkout drink immedeatley before the workout, or 30mins prior. i really doubt it will make a difference. whichever you prefer really.

Back