Workout Help

TAJS

Hey, I've been working out almost a year now and never gained weight, but became pretty defined. FYI. im 6ft 180lbs. Then i read about muscles getting hard and not growing after that, so i searched for a muscle/weight growth excercise that would help me and it brought me here. Before my workout consised of 10 rep maxes every time. Now im trying the HST that i found here and i have got to say i feel the difference. I pretty much used the sample workout as my guide.

So my questions start here, is that guide good for me where as im a smaller guy?
AND
Im intaking around 3200-3500 calories a day, split 1400 protein, 1000 carbs, 1000 fat. Im pretty active and on my rest days I play squash so im constantly sweating. Is this to much for me? Should i tweak the fat or protein intake? or should I lower everything?

Thanks in advance for the help

TAJS

Welcome to the HST board or shouldl I say boat?
laugh.gif

Anyway, the guide you used is fine, in the meantime go download the pimp my hst e-book and the FAQ e-books and read them through in your free time. That should help you heaps.

You calory intake maybe a little low:

Calculations

Resting Metabolic Rate for Athletes (in calories per day)
500 + 22 x fat free mass (in kilograms).
Body weight - 81 Kg
Fat mass - ?? I assumed 9.72 Kg (+/- 12%)
Lean mass - ?? Again assumed 71.28
RMR - 2068.12

Cost of Exercise Activity (calories)

Level of activity ratio = 1.7 (highest)

RMR x level of activity - 3515.87 calories

Exercise Expenditure for weights =

(6 METS X mass (kg) x 1 hours) = EEW - 486 calories

Exercise Expenditure for cardio =

(3 METS X 81 kg x 0.067 hours) = EEC 65.167 calories

Thermic effect of food - moderate to heavy protein = x 0.1 - 0.12

TEF * RMR - 248.18 (2068.12 x 0.12)

Revised RMR

3515.87 + 486 + 65.124 + 248.18 = 4315.17 calories

You can always download Berardi's (Essential Berardi - Ebook to verify) Essential Berardi.

Hope this helps so long.

That was a nice calculation. It will be very useful, I'm going to write it down for later use.

Remember to re-calculate as you grow.  

A simpler way to do it is BWx16 up to BWX25 = daily calories.

Start low and if you aren't gaining the way you want - increase from there.

I'd say for your weight start at 3600 minimum, then 3800, then 4000, and so on until you are seeing the gains you want.

P/F/C values are a bit different for everyone.  Most often, if you start at C-45%, P-35%, F-20% you'll see good results.

If you are spiking carbs postworkout for optimum insulin response then simply add 35 extra grams of carbs which conveniently is exactly what's in a gatoraid.  It's also exactly what's in 10 ounces of koolaid made with 1cup of dextrose in 1/2 gallon of water - or 1/2 cup dextrose and 1/2 cup maltodextrin in 1/2 gallon of water, or 1 cup of sucrose (table sugar) in 1/2 gallon of water.  Add 10 ounces of water to your mix and you've got basically cheap gatoraid to sip during your workout or on a bike ride.

hint:  save some money and make your own.

Back