World's Strongest Man 2007

Lol

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been away so couldn't post the entire schedule before it started. I think the actual comp was back in September but it's only just airing on TV over here in the UK. Here's what my TV schedule says for the last three episodes from today:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">World's Strongest Man 2007

Wed. 02 January 08
Channel Five 20.00
Episode 4, England's salsa-dancer expert Jimmy Marku enters the fray as the action continues to heat up in Anaheim, California. Martin Bayfield presents

Thu. 03 January 08
Episode 5, Britain's strongest man Terry Hollands competes against Polish legend and current world title holder Mariusz Pudzianowski - known as the `Dominator' - in the final qualifying round. Presented from Anaheim, California by Martin Bayfield

Fri. 04 January 08
Episode 6, Martin Bayfield presents highlights of the final, where English hopes rest on the broad shoulders of Mark Felix and Terry Hollands. Their task is to defeat reigning champion Mariusz Pudzianowski from claiming his fourth win in the competition. Last in series
</div>

That last bit is wrong because we all know that Phil Pfister won it last year. An hour for each heat doesn't do it justice but it's better than nada. Only an hour of coverage for the final too. That sucks. Hopefully there will be more comprehensive coverage elsewhere later in the year.

In the heats I've seen so far (I missed the first one) Phil Pfister hasn't competed yet and Mariusz is evidently in Thursday's episode. I've missed seeing Jesse, as I'm sure have many others, and I just hope there are no other tragedies ahead for any WSM competitors this year.

What do you folks think of the squat and dead tests? The loose barrels that are added after each rep sometimes roll to the back of the cage and sometimes to the front. Surely, this alters the effective loading at the bar by a fairly large amount? It seems an inaccurate and unfair way to go about it to me. Anyway, I'd rather that than no comp at all.

Well, the TV guide I have was evidently wrong on several counts! Mariusz was in tonight's episode. It may be that Phil Pfister is in Thursday's episode? Anyway, the program time was correct tonight.
smile.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Jan. 02 2008,13:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Been away so couldn't post the entire schedule before it started. I think the actual comp was back in September but it's only just airing on TV over here in the UK. Here's what my TV schedule says for the last three episodes from today:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">World's Strongest Man 2007

Wed. 02 January 08
Channel Five 20.00
Episode 4, England's salsa-dancer expert Jimmy Marku enters the fray as the action continues to heat up in Anaheim, California. Martin Bayfield presents

Thu. 03 January 08
Episode 5, Britain's strongest man Terry Hollands competes against Polish legend and current world title holder Mariusz Pudzianowski - known as the `Dominator' - in the final qualifying round. Presented from Anaheim, California by Martin Bayfield

Fri. 04 January 08
Episode 6, Martin Bayfield presents highlights of the final, where English hopes rest on the broad shoulders of Mark Felix and Terry Hollands. Their task is to defeat reigning champion Mariusz Pudzianowski from claiming his fourth win in the competition. Last in series
</div>

That last bit is wrong because we all know that Phil Pfister won it last year. An hour for each heat doesn't do it justice but it's better than nada. Only an hour of coverage for the final too. That sucks. Hopefully there will be more comprehensive coverage elsewhere later in the year.

In the heats I've seen so far (I missed the first one) Phil Pfister hasn't competed yet and Mariusz is evidently in Thursday's episode. I've missed seeing Jesse, as I'm sure have many others, and I just hope there are no other tragedies ahead for any WSM competitors this year.

What do you folks think of the squat and dead tests? The loose barrels that are added after each rep sometimes roll to the back of the cage and sometimes to the front. Surely, this alters the effective loading at the bar by a fairly large amount? It seems an inaccurate and unfair way to go about it to me. Anyway, I'd rather that than no comp at all.</div>
Also notice the time it takes for the assistant to roll the barrell forward, this changes dramatically and is widely varied.

If you want I can spoil it for you
rock.gif

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Jan. 03 2008,16:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you want I can spoil it for you
rock.gif
</div>
biggrin.gif
I bet you could but as the final is being aired tomorrow I can wait until then. If I see you've posted here again I won't check it until after the final just in case!
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

I am enjoying it so far even if the TV coverage is pretty poor. I'd like to see a lot more time spent talking to the competitors when they aren't gasping for breath immediately after an event and in seeing them eating platefuls of eggs and downing protein shakes! (I'd love to know how much gear they are on too but I realise that's not going to be talked about
wink.gif
). The Queen Mary is a nice boat but if I want to know more about it I'll look it up online. I've learnt much more about the ship than I have about the competitors and their contest prep!
mad.gif

sounds like the old (before lance) "tour de france" coverage. talked more about the local wines and old ww2 battles then they did about the actual race. i guess they felt they had to make it interesting for the avg american viewer tuneing in since we certainly wouldnt be interested in the actual race.

if you (we) are lucky the sport will take off in the coming yrs and more and more of it will show on tv (like mma, poker etc) with the proliferation of channels avail.

i enjoy them for what they are but they could easily improve a little on the set-up and production values. there just does not seem to be much suspense or drama and absolutely no insight as to what it really takes to train for such events. i love catching the old shows (wide world of sports stuff) from the 70s when kazs was winning but it also shows how little has changed (coverage-wise) in the past 30+ yrs.

The final, which was on UK TV this evening, was actually pretty good. However, due to time constraints, almost half the athletes were given very little or no screen time at all. I think there is to be a longer look at the final so they may get a chance to show off their stuff then. Hope so.

On Sat 05 Jan 08, Five Life in the UK is showing six hours of World's Strongest Man from 15:00 to 21:00. Hopefully, this will be a more detailed look at the final.

I wish I still had cable sometimes. I miss that stuff, but I got rid of it for various reasons. Air tv sux here for special interest stuff. Strictly mainstream entertainment only. At least I get 11 channels on my antenna though.

I meant to say that the rules for the car/deadlift in the final were crazy! Not knocking Mariusz, but he tried some crazy hitching and almost sitting with the weight on his legs during the lift before finally standing up and the lifts were counted as good. Mark Felix was the most impressive in my book. His form was pretty good (he seemed to be lifting mainly with his back though) for all his reps and he got the most reps too. I wonder what his max gym deadlift is?

I've not seen this before, but I made it a point to watch, based on Lol's recommendation. I thought it was a bit disappointing, being sort of WWF style. I guess I wasn't expecting deadlifts to be measured in terms of beer kegs, or presses to be done with safes...

Yeah, hitching is allowed and so is über-hitching! But I suppose if you allow any hitching at all them anything goes.

I quite agree that if you didn't know what to expect then quite a few of the events would leave you wondering why they were a part of a Worlds Strongest Man contest. My biggest problem with the whole thing now is that it's moving towards nearly all the events being strength with stamina. That would be OK for half the events but then something like the squat and deadlift should be a contest of who can lift the heaviest iron (or even how much iron over body weight). I think a lot of folks who were interested in strength sports could relate to it better then. I have no doubt that running along with a barrel half full of water is hard but I can't relate to it, so I am not as blown away as I am seeing someone properly deadlift 900+lbs.

Anyone seen Britains strongest man???

It's comedy!!!

It's like 'carry this box of eggs to the end and back'!!!

hehehe well maybe not that bad, but it just doesn't compare to the worlds, in fact, my girlfriend made the point that there was only one bloke that looked like he'd ever been to the gym. The rest just look like big guys that had been pulled out of the pub!

Back