XFatMan’s Dan Alexander Peaking Program

I agree with colby - rest your calfs. That means no carido, XFM.

The thing that is going to make this tough is that you have to walk to get around, thus engaging your injured calf muscles. So - light stretching is a must. That muscle group is used so often that it's hard to develop further. In that way - take it upon yourself to very gradually force the injury to resolve itself through stretching. I hate to say it, but if you aren't successful in doing so, you're almost going to have to heal your legs one at a time by using crutches to get around.

Take care, and good luck! Tough situation!

It hurts big time when I walk, so I'll be off cardio for some time. At least it doesn't hurt when I squat (bodyweight), so there's a chance I can squat with weights tomorrow. Let's see ...

Thursday, January 31, 2008

I’m so happy I could do the squats without any pain at all. It even seems that the slight stretching was good for my injured calf. I’ll give my calf a rest for some days and then start some work as suggested by quadancer.

Flat Bench Barbell Press
8 sets / 6 reps / 60% of 1 RM

Barbell Squat
8 sets / 5 reps / 60% of 1 RM

Friday, February 01, 2008

Today was just working with weights. What I did was:

Barbell Overhead Press
8 sets / 6 reps / 60% of 1 RM

Barbell Deadlift
8 sets / 5 reps / 60% of 1 RM

There will be no cardio at all – at least for the rest of this week. Perhaps I can get back to something light on Monday.

Be careful with that calf. You may be setting yourself up for a long layoff if you don't let it heal properly. Example: Last March I pulled a groin muscle, hurt like h@@l when I walked, but not when I squatted. Continued to squat for 2 weeks. Then I could hardly walk and spent the next 9 weeks doing nothing. Couldn't lift anything. I know the urge to progress and keep going is hard to give up , but better safe than sorry. Heal up and good luck man!

Sunday, February 03, 2008

I guess my gains come from the fact that I haven’t done any cardio since my injury at the beginning of this week. Not bad – really not bad. Would be good to hear a few comments.

Forearm 11.4 in. (+0.2 in.)
Waist 33.9 in. (-0.2 in.)
Hips 37.8 in. (+0.4 in.)
Thigh 22.8 (+0.2 in.)
Body Weight 173.6 lbs. (+1.4 lbs.)
Body Fat Percentage 20.3% (-0.7%)

What are you doing up? you insomnial too?  
rock.gif

Interesting your BF went DOWN during the layoff. Maybe it's from metabolic momentum? Or you changed your diet to accomodate the layoff, which would have been very smart.
Now you can write a "Lose Fat / Gain Muscle doing Nothing" book.
tounge.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Feb. 03 2008,06:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What are you doing up? you insomnial too?
rock.gif

Interesting your BF went DOWN during the layoff. Maybe it's from metabolic momentum? Or you changed your diet to accomodate the layoff, which would have been very smart.
Now you can write a &quot;Lose Fat / Gain Muscle doing Nothing&quot; book.
tounge.gif
</div>
I only stopped cardio – the lifting continues normally. The only thing I change in my diet on a weekly basis is the number of calories. That means I didn’t make any changes to accommodate the layoff. The numbers are only weekly averages, and I did gain a bit fat near the end of the week. Perhaps some of the fat loss is because of the chromium intake? It’s supposed to contribute to fat loss, but I’m still a bit skeptical as to its effectiveness.

I'll have my planned off-week next week, so I'll be back on this thread only next Sunday.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Here are my measurement averages after one week without lifting. I did 30 minutes cardio on Thursday and Saturday, and 60 minutes on Friday. Cardio was walking at 4.0 mph on all occasions. I did not do any sprint intervals because that’s a bit early for my calf. Perhaps I can do those next week.

Neck 15.4 in. (-0.4 in.)
Biceps (not flexed) 13.2 in. (-0.2 in.)
Forearm 11.2 in. (-0.2 in.)
Chest 40.7 in. (-0.4 in.)
Hips 38.0 in. (-0.2 in.)
Bodyweight 170.6 lbs. (-3.0 lbs.)

Monday, February 11, 2008

I’m back to lifting and cardio. I walked for 30 minutes at 4.0 mph after lifting, but I’ll do sprints only from next week on to make sure my calf can take it.

Flat Bench Press / Barbell Squat

8 reps at 45% of 1 RM
6 reps at 55% of 1 RM
6 reps at 65% of 1 RM
3 sets / 6 reps / 70 % of 1 RM

I accidentally skipped the 65% set of the Flat Bench Press. But that shouldn’t be a problem, I guess. The last three Flat Bench Press sets were pretty difficult.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Again, I walked for 30 minutes at 4.0 mph after lifting. I found that my bodyweight is dropping a bit quickly. It’s not water because I’m drinking like the devil. On Sunday, I was at 168.8 lbs, today I’m at 165.8 lbs, which means that I lost exactly 3 pounds in 2 days. Strange, really strange.

Barbell Overhead Press / Barbell Deadlift

8 reps at 45% of 1 RM
6 reps at 55% of 1 RM
6 reps at 65% of 1 RM
3 sets / 6 reps / 70 % of 1 RM

Just curious XFM,
How are you measuring your bodyfat?

I looked through your log couldn't find it.
I mind you I just kind skimmed through.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Today was just 30 minutes cardio. Everything’s fine so far except that my weight loss needs some observation. Yesterday, I was at 165.8 lbs. Today, I’m at 161.4 lbs. That’s a loss of 4.4 lbs in 24 hours and there was no change in eating or drinking habits. That’s a bit too much for my taste. It could be because it has suddenly gotten extremely hot over here. Within the last ten days, I’ve lost 11.7 lbs. I always use the same scale in the same location, so it’s not some gross mistake of mine. My body fat is dropping, but at a much slower pace. As long as it’s not going up, I don’t think I have a reason to get uptight.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Flat Bench Barbell Press / Barbell Squat

8 reps at 45% of 1RM
6 reps at 55% of 1RM
5 reps at 65% of 1RM
5 reps at 75% of 1RM
3 set / 5 reps at 80% of 1RM
5 reps at 75% of 1RM
6 reps at 65% of 1RM
8 reps at 50% of 1RM

And of course, 30 minutes walking at 4.0 mph. The 80%-range was very difficult and I had to cluster reps. But that’s okay, I guess.

<div>
(XFatMan @ Feb. 14 2008,05:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The 80%-range was very difficult and I had to cluster reps. But that’s okay, I guess.</div>
Clustering is fine. It doesn't matter so much whether you do 5x3 or 3x5, or whatever. The important thing is to get all your reps in. It is the work done that does the trick.

Friday, February 15, 2008

Barbell Overhead Press / Deadlift

8 reps at 45% of 1RM
6 reps at 55% of 1RM
5 reps at 65% of 1RM
5 reps at 75% of 1RM
3 set / 5 reps at 80% of 1RM
5 reps at 75% of 1RM
6 reps at 65% of 1RM
8 reps at 50% of 1RM

No clustering was necessary. The Barbell Overhead Press was very tough, though. I also walked for 30 minutes after the workout.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

There was just 30 minutes walking.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Time to take my averages again:

Biceps: 13.0 in. (-0.2 in.)
Chest: 40.6 in. (-0.2 in.)
Waist: 33.3 in. (-0.6 in.)
Hips: 37.6 in. (-0.4 in.)
Thigh: 22.2 in. (-0.6 in.)
Calf: 15.0 in. (-0.2 in.)
Bodyweight: 159.6 lbs. (-11.0 lbs.)
Body Fat Percentage: 19.6% (-0.7%)

As I started noticing last Tuesday, my bodyweight is dropping very quickly. I don’t know why and I don’t know what to do, so I just keep things as they are. In the past, I have had similar losses – even greater ones – apparently occurring randomly for a week or two, so I’m not frightened yet.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Flat Bench Barbell Press / Barbell Squat

8 x 45% of 1 RM
6 x 55% of 1 RM
6 x 65% of 1 RM
5 x 70% / 75% / 75% of 1 RM

I also walked for 30 minutes at 4.0 mph. I didn’t start with sprints yet although my calf seems to be all right. First I’d like to get back to something like normal fat loss. Ah yes, today, my body fat dropped below 19% for the first time this year. Pretty cool, I must say.

Back