Zinc and Magnesium

EctoSquat

I bought some zinc and magnesium last night to help boost up my sleep and recovery, because a good sleep is hard to get for me. The zinc pills have 50mg in a pill, I take 1 of those. The magnesium pills have 250mg in a pill, should I take 1 or 2? I only weigh 135lbs, but I don't even know if that matters. Can you take too much magnesium? Most ZMA pills have 450mg in them, so I don't see 500mg being a problem. And what is the vitamin B6 for in ZMA pills, and is it worth it to buy that seperately also?

I used ZMA a long time ago for sleep purposes, but I don't think the stuff does anything at all. You would be better served investing in some melatonin or valerian root. Just my opinion. :)

I suffered from insomnia when on a low carb/ketosis diet once its not a nice feeling thats for sure. You should try and rid your life of whatever is causing it like stress etc.
calcium, magnesium and zinc as well as vitamins B6, B3 and C all help calm the nervous system so you might want to think about adding some B vitamins to your mix and see if it helps at all.
If you having trouble getting to sleep to begin with try a hot bath/shower before going to bed
sleeping.gif

I don't have a problem fallng asleep, but staying asleep. I wake up 3-5 times per night.

Any suggestions as to a supplement that can help and what exactly it does?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CardTopper @ June 07 2004,11:36)]I don't have a problem fallng asleep, but staying asleep. I wake up 3-5 times per night.
Any suggestions as to a supplement that can help and what exactly it does?
Magnesium, take about 500mg (usually like 2 pills) 30 minutes before bed. You'll sleep like a baby, and remember your weird dreams. It's pretty cool.

i had exactly the same problem, ok for falling asleep but keeping asleep is another thing. i solved that problem :
1-don't sleep in a too hot room.
2-try melatonin (right for me 3mg)
3-try "cocktail" of herbs (in pills or drink), valerian, etc...sorry i don't know english words for "tilleul, aubepine, coquelicot".
coquelicot is ok if you make bad dream.
ps: i m french, so , try with a dictionnary
tounge.gif

I have battled sleep problems in one form or another for years. Now, I really don't have trouble falling asleep, but I wake up and have trouble getting back to asleep. I have tried many products including everything mentioned above. The one product that really works is GABA. Most online supplement stores sell it. I use AST's brand.

I actually just started taking melotonin. I take one tablet (I think it said it was 30 mcg) about 15 minutes before bed. It helps me sleep fairly well. I hope I am attaining a deep level of sleep with it. I don't know how you would know though without gong to a sleep clinic.

I work for Dollar General (corporate office) and can get it (or any of the popular ones) cheaply at our stores. I can get 75 tablets for $2.

However, I don't know if the 30 mcg dosage is considered large. Anyone know?:confused:?

What exactly do Magnesium and Zinc do as supplemements? I have heard that David Boston (WR for Dolphins) takes a magnessium drip after a workout. Does anyone what what these supplements do?

ZMA is hyped as a testosterone booster, blah blah blah

Zinc and magnesium are essential nutrients, with multiple roles within the body. Tehy can cause a decrease in testosterone, if the levels in the body are deficient.

Other than that, they will do very little, adn tey WILL NOT increase testosterone over and above natural levels.

Magnesium drip, whats the pioint, its another 'special' thing to increase performance with no research backing it..

Creates a mystical quality.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CardTopper @ June 11 2004,2:06)]What exactly do Magnesium and Zinc do as supplemements? I have heard that David Boston (WR for Dolphins) takes a magnessium drip after a workout. Does anyone what what these supplements do?
David Boston is taking GH, as noted by is face "mysteriously" elongating by about 2 inches it looks like over the past couple of seasons. Oh, and his probably 50 pound mass gain. :) That guy is a turd. Even his teammates hate him.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find it hard to believe that Boston could add 39lbs of lean muscle in a single off-season and drop his bf% from 10 to 6 at the same time (not gain any weight). On the one hand, they claim he was a relative newbie to working out compound moves (hard to believe) so maybe his extraordinary gains are partially based on his 'newbie' status? On the other hand, they claim clean living and diet blah blah blah, but I believe he tested positive for banned substance which was one of the reasons he ended up in SD last season. So it's not a stretch to think he might have roided up!

Could he really have 40x the testosterone of a normal person (without roids)?

I was mistaken. It is 300 mcg. Is that a lot. Since there isn't a Daily value established for it is hard to tell.

Regarding the David Boston thing....it may not be right, but that is what I heard. The guy on the radio probably got the supplement mixed up.

What exactly does magnessium and Zinc do?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ June 11 2004,9:10)]ZMA is hyped as a testosterone booster, blah blah blah
Zinc and magnesium are essential nutrients, with multiple roles within the body. Tehy can cause a decrease in testosterone, if the levels in the body are deficient.
Other than that, they will do very little, adn tey WILL NOT increase testosterone over and above natural levels.
Magnesium drip, whats the pioint, its another 'special' thing to increase performance with no research backing it..
Creates a mystical quality.
Sure Aaron, but if you dont eat a lot of meat, you probably dont get a lot of zink in your diet. And lack of dietary zink IS connected with reduction in T-levels. ;)

Back