ZMA vs protein before bed?

ben catania

Basically I'm a little confused on the best time to take ZMA. I prefer to consume a slow-digesting protein before bed (calcium caseinate and milk proteins) but since any food and especially calcium interferes with ZMA absorbtion, I'm wondering if it's better to take the mineral supplement some time before consuming the protein, or postpone taking ZMA until after the protein is digested.
Or if I had to choose, would it be better to forego the night protein shake, consume all my protein well before bedtime and take ZMA then, or continue taking protein at bedtime and forget ZMA?
Thanks

I take 1/2 dose as an insurance policy. I already take a multi. Problem is almost all minerals will interfer with other mineral absorption.

Not many people need zinc. Do the Zinc Taste Test which is surprisingly accurate. As for magnesium, you would probably only need it if you are following a low carb diet or doing a lot of cardio.

Just take it 3 hours away from anything that has much calcium.

ZMA = worthless unless you are zinc/magnesium deficient.

If you take a multi, you would already get enough.

Zinc and calcium can be taken togehter. The only time you get a problem is high doses of calcium, in the presence of phytate (from grains/corn etc). Calcium by itself doesnt do a lot.

Taste tests for zinc are not very good, as many other things can affect taste (smoking, drugs, other foods)
Zinc can be tested from blood/hair (hair has to be treated very specifically for it to worthwhile). Even they are not good indicators of zinc status.

Aaron/Micmic,

What about usage of Zn/Mg with chronic exercise? I know that high intensity exercise can use Zn/Mg at higher levels than "Joe Average". I get some from a MVI but no MVI has good amounts, usually <50% RDA. My diet can be crappy at times due to being away from quality food sources most-of the day. Just want to make sure my bases are covered.

One more thing. Should I eat tuna? :)
happy.gif
laugh.gif

thanks everyone for the replies. thanks to mikeh for the link to the older ZMA thread...and glad to be here! :) FWIW I'm training for an endurance event as well as keeping a maintenance workout in the gym, so it looks like supplementation would be a good idea to make sure i'm not deficient.

Incidentally, the potential sleep benefits of ZMA are what i'm after most. I have used a 5-htp supplement that included zinc which worked well, so that and a magnesium supplement before bed may do the trick.

Question: anyone care to share some recipes for night-time protein shakes that don't contain calcium???

Thanks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What about usage of Zn/Mg with chronic exercise? I know that high intensity exercise can use Zn/Mg at higher levels than "Joe Average".

There are more and more people who believe that there is no overtraining, just undereating. Athletes of most sports train very hard for hours and hours.... cyclists are famous for their crueling trainings... weight lifters often train for 10-12 hours for months before an event...

Of course they are both different from bodybuilders, and they usually don't pay as much attention to what they eat. They also have the team doctors behind them, chasing them with syringes full of vitamins, minerals and aas :D That being said, most of them do take magnesium regularly. I feel that magnesium is necessary if you feel you have reached a state of chronic overtraining.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]One more thing. Should I eat tuna?

Of course! Not only you will be ingesting some high quality protein, but you will also have the additional benefits of a tuna diet: You can draw a Fahrenheit scale on your body and be able to read your temperature at a glance
laugh.gif

Back