Fiber and Calories

Mindwraith

I've read in several places that about 30g of fiber per day will expel the number of calories of food you normally would absorb, exactly or roughly how many calories would this be?

Any other opinions on this or does a lack of responses aside from Aaron indicate a lack of knowledge or an agreement?

Yep, I dont tend to doubt Aaron, I was just hoping for a different answer. I'm having tons of trouble keeping my calories low lately, my appetite is freakin huge but my fiber stays around 30g a day. My mantainence is around 2500 but I stay around 2300, 200 below but I used to stay around 1800 w/o many problems.

Although Aaron is right, it doesn't mean fiber is useless. It does tend to slow gastric empting and slow absorption of food stuffs. So, besides the point that 30 grams of fiber is the RDA (I think) it wouldn't hurt to shoot for that level of fiber intake, regardless of the fact that it doesn't "prevent" nutrient absorption.

I was only meaning that it will not make much of a difference to calories being lost. Extremes of fibre can reduce certain absorbtion of nutrients, like minerals, protien and to a small extent calories. But overall getting at least 25g per day is at least good from a bowel health standpoint.
Too much can however be uncomfortable :)

I was only meaning that it will not make much of a difference to calories being lost. Extremes of fibre can reduce certain absorbtion of nutrients, like minerals, protien and to a small extent calories. But overall getting at least 25g per day is at least good from a bowel health standpoint.
Too much can however be uncomfortable :)

Back