methods of cooking eggs

• Thread starter imported_dmbelina
  • Start date
I

imported_dmbelina

A trainer at the local gym mentioned to me that if I were to ever have eggs, that I should not have them scrambled.....something to do with breaking down proteins in the yolk (I dont remember the specifics).

Any truth to this?

Dear dmbelina,

Scrambled eggs are a lovely way to partake of the chicken's treasure, especially when cooked the traditional way with cream, butter, smoked salmon and a garnish of caviar.

"Breaking down proteins in the yolk" - If a protein gets broken down, let's take this to mean digested, hydrolyzed, split into its constituent amino acids... doesn't this make for easier assimilation of the protein once eaten? And is this not a good thing?

Feel free to ask anything and everything here. This board can be your online personal trainer of sorts. I know it's frustrating at times, the myriad of myths and misinformation floating about but this forum is where you can discuss such things and better still, get them verified.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

I've heard the thing about how we should scramble our eggs, but I've also heard from Loren Cordain (of paleo diet fame) that ideally we should hard-boil eggs. It had something to do with preventing oxidized cholesterol. Who knows. Nowadays I just do a little of both and try not to worry about it (though hard not to when one eats 4+ eggs per day on average).

Nice recipe, Dianabol! I also like them slow-scrambled with cream and freshly snipped chives. Add a warm currant-laden scone with butter and strawberry preserves (hi-GI carbs be damned!) and you've got a breakfast/brunch that can't be beat!
Jake

If I'm scrambling them, I normally cook 3 eggs, throw in a chopped tomatoe and about 1/4 cup of shredded cheese ;)

Throw on some picante sauce and you're good to go.

(This is when you just want something that taste really good, I wouldn't eat it everyday. Also, some ham thrown into the mix really makes it rock).

I normally poach them for everday stuff. (I assume it's just like hard boiling them, but you can poach egg whites without the yoke)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KingProtein @ Jan. 07 2004,7:28)]I've heard the thing about how we should scramble our eggs, but I've also heard from Loren Cordain (of paleo diet fame) that ideally we should hard-boil eggs. It had something to do with preventing oxidized cholesterol. Who knows. Nowadays I just do a little of both and try not to worry about it (though hard not to when one eats 4+ eggs per day on average).
Mercola was a fan of this also, but upon subsequent research has long since changed his stance.

I thought Mercola recommended you eat them raw? Might be the best way to go overall, but for ME - I'll have them cooked, TUVM ;)

You can also poach the eggs in the microwave.

1. Fill a bowl with water.

2. Nuke it 2 minutes.

3. Put two or three eggs, yolk or no,

4. Nuke it again for about 90 seconds, or until done to preformance.

This is how I learned it and do it. Good way not to add fat from cooking oil or butter.

You can also wake up in the morning, boil water,
put the eggs in, and turn the plate off.
Then go back to sleep for 20 minutes, and when you wake up, the eggs are done.

:)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You can also wake up in the morning, boil water,
put the eggs in, and turn the plate off.
Then go back to sleep for 20 minutes, and when you wake up, the eggs are done

God bless microwaves !

If you put the boiled eggs in ice water as soon as they are done it will help prevent the "green yolk". It really works and improves the flavor as well (less sulfer tasting). I learned that from Jacques Pépin.

boggy: My eggs usually blow up if they're inside a microwave, and I try not to eat my food from the inside of the micro.
Apart from that, great tip :)

If you are cooking an egg in the 'wave, you need to poke a hole in the shell before hand.

Personally, I try to avoid "nuked" food as much as I can. I read an article a couple of years ago about the dangers of microwaves and after I showed it to my wife......It was out of the kitchen and given or sold (no idea what she did with it).

We haven't missed it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Feb. 03 2004,7:25)]If you put the boiled eggs in ice water as soon as they are done it will help prevent the "green yolk". It really works and improves the flavor as well (less sulfer tasting). I learned that from Jacques Pépin.
The ice water thing also makes it easier to peel the shell off the eggs- crucial if you're into deviled and you want the eggs to look pretty without a lot of scars and pockmarks.
Jake

Scythe:
I even blow up pre-cooked eggs without the shells on.. That marked the end of my attempts at microing eggs..
tounge.gif

I just ROFLed through that whole post :D . I think the breakdown of protein thing is about the "heat destroys protein" bit, but I doubt it makes much of a difference whether you scramble, boil, or fry them to a crisp. Nuked in the shell?! :D You can fry them in a bowl in the 'wave too, but you best poke a hole in the yolk unless you want to wake the neighbors when they blow. Don't get me started on trainers- I watch a certain morning show for the laughs, it's like a spoof on lifting. And raw eggs aren't nearly as dangerous as some would have you believe, as long as they're clean and fresh. But never try to make your own powdered eggs to drink as a shake- one of the dumbest things I ever dreamed up. :confused:

Back