HIIT/Max-OT cardio and nutrition

mdhan

When on a HIIT/Max-OT type cardio program, what kind foods/drinks are recommended? Is it just the same as in weight training?
Also, since this type of cardio program takes advantage of the fat burning effect of our bodies AFTER the actual cardio session, is drinking a carb&protein drink a no-no?
I apologize if this topic has been discussed before but I couldn't find it using the search feature. Thanks.

With this type of cardio, carbs should be eaten before hand along with some protein.

Dont worry about burning carbs first then fat... Its about buringing alot of calories pound for pound to crate a claorie defecit which will inturn lose fat :). A protein shake with some carbs afterwards is also smart.

Dont stress about 'fat burning' post workout, as its not a real worry. Hiit increases EPOC, or post exercise oxygen consumption. So even if you burning carbs, your using some of your daily calories., spo as long as you are overall lower in calories, you lose weight/fat.

taking in some carbs prior would be nice, as the style of exercise needs to be hard, and if you dont go as hard you dont burn as much calories.

Some people say have carbs + protein before HIIT, but then ive also heard to do it on an empty stomach...by that same logic some people say that upon awakening, if you do cardio you burn fat, others say you burn muscle. Any studies done on this, because if i'm doing the cardio, I really want to do it correctly...thanks
Keith

I may have found something....
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1: Int J Sports Med. 1988 Jun;9(3):240-3.

Energy metabolism during exercise at different time intervals following a meal.

Willcutts KF, Wilcox AR, Grunewald KK.

Department of Physical Education, Dance and Leisure Studies, Kansas State
University, Manhattan 66506.

The objective of this study was to compare caloric expenditure and substrate
utilization during exercise begun at different time intervals following a
standard test meal or in the fasted state. Eight physically fit women (aged
21-27 years) participated in four separate exercise trials. In three trials, the
subjects consumed a 940-kcal meal following an overnight fast and began
exercising either 30, 60, or 90 min after the meal. In the other trial, the
subjects did not consume any breakfast prior to exercising. Energy expenditure
and substrate utilization were determined by indirect calorimetry during the
last 23 min of a 30-min run on a treadmill at an average work load of 62%
VO2max. There were no significant differences among trials when comparing the
total caloric expenditures (range: 215-219 kcal). However, the subjects oxidized
significantly more fat (94.3 kcal) when they exercised on an empty stomach than
when they exercised 60 or 90 min after the meal (71.6 and 68.8 kcal,
respectively) (P less than 0.05). It was concluded that consumption of a meal
prior to exercise does not increase the energy cost of the activity for
physically fit women, but it does disrupt the pattern of substrate utilization,
reducing the contribution of fat as an energy source.

PMID: 3410632 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--This was done using women, and also it isnt HIIT, but am i on the right track? (this was the first time using pubmed, very useful) It says that calorie expenditure was the same (or very close, 215-219kcal) but more fat was oxidized, which is good right?

I may have found something....
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1: Int J Sports Med. 1988 Jun;9(3):240-3.
Energy metabolism during exercise at different time intervals following a meal.
Willcutts KF, Wilcox AR, Grunewald KK.
Department of Physical Education, Dance and Leisure Studies, Kansas State
University, Manhattan 66506.
The objective of this study was to compare caloric expenditure and substrate
utilization during exercise begun at different time intervals following a
standard test meal or in the fasted state. Eight physically fit women (aged
21-27 years) participated in four separate exercise trials. In three trials, the
subjects consumed a 940-kcal meal following an overnight fast and began
exercising either 30, 60, or 90 min after the meal. In the other trial, the
subjects did not consume any breakfast prior to exercising. Energy expenditure
and substrate utilization were determined by indirect calorimetry during the
last 23 min of a 30-min run on a treadmill at an average work load of 62%
VO2max. There were no significant differences among trials when comparing the
total caloric expenditures (range: 215-219 kcal). However, the subjects oxidized
significantly more fat (94.3 kcal) when they exercised on an empty stomach than
when they exercised 60 or 90 min after the meal (71.6 and 68.8 kcal,
respectively) (P less than 0.05). It was concluded that consumption of a meal
prior to exercise does not increase the energy cost of the activity for
physically fit women, but it does disrupt the pattern of substrate utilization,
reducing the contribution of fat as an energy source.

PMID: 3410632 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
--This was done using women, and also it isnt HIIT, but am i on the right track? (this was the first time using pubmed, very useful) It says that calorie expenditure was the same (or very close, 215-219kcal) but more fat was oxidized, which is good right?

Consuming carbs before HIIT is not going to affect your performance if glycogen stores are already full. Blood glucose is rather unimportant for muscle performance during hard intensity exercise. In any case, the rise in catecholamine levels during hard exercise will result in hyperglycaemia by stimulating glycogenolysis in muscle and liver via feed-forward mechanisms.

i guess i should have been more specific, i'm talking about fat loss, rather than performance (which is also important, so thanks micmic) Does having carbs/protein/anything improve,lessen, or have no effecton fat loss. Basically I just want to do HIIT so that it has the maximum fat loss effect. thanks,
Keith

I know you are interested in fat loss and not performance, what else would you do HIIT for... :) But performance and fat loss may be related. Here's what I'd do:

1) Make sure I'm not glycogen depleted
2) Only eat very lightly for the hours before HIIT, maybe just a protein shake
3) No carbs for a couple of hours after HIIT

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what else would you do HIIT for...
haha good point, i suppose that was just a little dumb. I hate to keep coming back with what probably seems to be obvious answers, but when i do HIIT, i wake up, grab my MP3 player, and leave my house, ie i dont have a few hours before the session (well, i'm sleeping). Glycogen stores are depleted upon waking if i'm not mistaken, which is why carbs at breakfast is good (first fills the liver, then the muscle glycogen i think) so 1) one isnt possible upon waking, unless I eat some carbs, but then that interferes with 2) eat lightly, maybe just protein. The 3) after part I can deal with, its just the before that i'm confuzed on. Thanks for dealing with me,
Keith

Well, if you eat carbs and protein last night before you go to sleep, you'll still have more than enough glycogen in the morning. And glycogen stores are not that easy to completely deplete, just think that during a keto diet of 4 days you still have to do a depletion workout on the 5th day. So, I would just have a protein shake in the morning and then hit the track. You can also eat a few carbs, not for performance enhancement but for better utilization of the protein. Something very light, maybe just a piece of fruit. :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (spartacus @ Mar. 05 2004,5:55)]this thread on CEM discussed taking whey after a workout IMPROVED fat burning. http://www.cuttingedgemuscle.com/Forum....umber=1
I can't find where they discuss post-exercise whey's effects on fat loss. They are talking about a high carb vs high protein pre-exercise meal and its effects on fat loss. The conclusion is that a high carb post exercise meal will shift the focus away from fat burning during exercise. And that before HIIT you should ingest some protein. Duh. Can you point me to the post where they talk about post-exercise whey improving fat burning ?

I'm a fatboy that requires extreme methods to lose fat. A month of comfortable eating takes me eight to lose.

I've opted for an extreme approach to an extreme problem. Well, it's not as extreme as the PSMF I did but here goes:

I'm going to alternate the diet to match the training.

Off days:

caffeine w/ ephed - or yohimbe (alternated)

HIIT on empty stomach (except water, of course)

50% Pro
50% Fat (Olive oil - monounsaturated + 6g Fish oil)
0% carbs
not counting the green veggies towards the end of the day

Training days:

Above maintenance w/ recommended protein levels

Simple sugars (dextrose) and whey in post WO shake only

Whole foods, i.e. complex carbs (oats, sweet potato) w/chicken, egg whites, or lean fish

cutting carbs past 7pm.

20% Fat (for optimal testosterone production)

All days:
Plenty of antioxidants, HMB, tribulus, vitamins, minerals and water.

ZMA an hour before cottage cheese before bed.

I'm interested in any thoughts or experience you have about this cyclic approach.

ok little carbs prior to HIIT.. uhm does the total amount of carbs be equal to your WO day? thanks in advance
worship.gif

bump. i'm really bulking up but i want to minimize fat gains. i'm intrested to lose fat during my non-WO days (tuesdays and thursdays) . i'm planning to do HIIT sprint/run on a threadmill. my question is should my diet be just a little above maintenance? or what?
thanks

Back