Please vote opinions and prior experiences!

MassGainer

I recently just finished my mass phase of the HST program.  I had pretty nice muscle and strength gains, now I am working on cutting off the fat.(18% body fat now
crazy.gif
) so here is my dilemma:
I know it is difficult to gain a lot of strength and mass while in a calorie deficit for obvious reasons.  I am highly debating on two routines:
1)a higher rep range scheme 25 - 20 - 15 - 10  phase type to increase my metabolic and recovery time while increasing workout frequency to burn more calories a day (this is possible from less of a mechanical stress burden from a lightened load) hoping to really prime my body for a mass gaining phase while I lose the fat rapidly or....
2)Continuing with the standard HST program.
In an ideal world, I would rather opt for #2 and gain muscle and lose the fat... So I'm curious with the general public things and others results from the HST program while in a calorie deficit!
Thanks in advance =)
P.S. I am currently following the MHP diet 45/35/20 1700 off day 2000 cal reg day 195 lbs 18% body fat

Doing only higher reps, and therefore working with lower weights, is not a good idea while cutting. Without the high-tension stimulus from heavier weights, your body won't retain muscle as well. Just do standard HST. I believe the current recommendation for HST while cutting is to do 15s, 10s, 5s, negs if you do them, then go straight into 10s again with no SD (don't really want to SD while eating hypocalorically).

If you want to do high rep work while cutting, do it alongside heavy work. So say you do normal HST, starting in the 10s or even 5s, three days a week, say on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. You could do high rep work on the opposite days.
Or you could do your heavy work in the morning, and do high rep stuff at night. The heavy work is important to spare lean mass, but the high rep work can help you too.

If you had to choose one or the other, you should choose heavier work.

I would suggest you think of the two stimuli as being seperate. For example, the stimulus to lose fat is a caloric deficit. The stimuli to increase muscle mass is increased load/work.

I always suggest people continue to focus on the best possible workout to build muscle even while dieting as this will produce the best counter stimulus to the catabolism brought on by your diet.

Massgainer

The guys are right dude!

Lower your calories slightly from the bulking diet that is, and keep doing HST as normal.

That way you will diminish your caloric intake slightly, but still keep the metabolic demand, your body should resppond well.

I know how you feel
tounge.gif
I am also not too happy with the 14% or so that I have gained and I am not the most intersted person in cardio, but what can I do? That seems to be one of the ways, the other is to increase frequency so as to create the calory defficit to induce the fat loss
happy.gif

Back