16/11 - 15s wk 02 - workout 6/24

Deads 2x155
Inclined Bench Press 2x130
Lat Pulldown 2x110
Upright row 2x65
Calf press 1x300
Rev Lat Pulldown 1x100
Close Grip Bench Press 1x115

I struggled a bit with the upright row, the rest went fine. I have finished the 15s with no major difficulties. I'll weight and measure tomorrow but I know I have lost some weight, will have to modify the diet.

I'm eager to start with the 10s
biggrin.gif

I measured today. As I though I have lost 5 pounds. Acording to the readings (used my scale), most of them fat. The scale might not be reliable, but for the time being, and until next time, when I'll have a base-line coming from my caliper measurements, I'll consider the relative changes.

Therefore, I started using the fat calipers again today, 16.1%BF, I thought it would be worst. Physical measures did not change at all but my chest and waist. My chest grew almost 1inch, not bad, but I attributed to the creatine loading (I wasn't on creatine before starting HST). I also lost almost 2inches on my waist, what reinforces the idea that I lost a lot of fat.

However, my goal is still gaining weight, so I'm going to increase my calorie intake to 3,800 kcal per day, distributed as 25%P, 10%CH, 65%F. I'm on a low-carb TKD diet (carbs around my workout). I understand this might not be ideal for gaining weight, but I want to try during one cycle, to see how it goes.
wink.gif

This is what I plan for the 10s:

A routine
2x Squat
2x Bench Press
2x Bent-over row
2x Seated Military press
1x Calf raise
1x Rev Lat Pulldown
1x Close Grip Bench Press

B routine
2x Deads
I2x nclined Bench Press
2x Lat Pulldown
2x Upright row
2x Calf press
1x Rev Lat Pulldown
1x Close Grip Bench Press

Let me know any suggestions.
wink.gif

and I have a final question I need your feedback with guys. This Friday I won't be able to go to the gym, so I have several options:

- miss the w/o, obviously, I don't want that
- do 2 first w/o (lighter weights on) Mo and Tu, afternoons, allowing recovery on We and training again on Th.
- a variation of previous but training on Mo morning, then Tuesday afternoon and the Thursday. I can give 12 additional hours break to my body between Mo and Tu w/os

what do you think? what have you done when you have to miss a training?

19/11 - 10s wk 01 - workout 7/24

Squat 2x200
Bench Press 2x 130
Bent-over row 2x 130
Seated Military press 2x92
Calf raise 1x285
Rev Lat Pulldown 1x110
Close Grip Bench Press 1x115

Just 25min. Easy w/o, although I felt some uncomfort in my left thigh. No soreness during the last few days.

20/11 - 10s wk 01 - workout 8/24

Deads 2x165
Inclined Bench Press 2x130
Lat Pulldown 2x120
Upright row 2x65
Calf press 1x310
Rev Lat Pulldown 1x110
Close Grip Bench Press 1x120

25 min again. I never get longer than this. No soreness or whatsoever the last two days. Feeling better than ever since I started the cycle

I have decided not to do any cardio this week. I'm having many business compromises that are affecting my diet and w/o, so I'll keep it very basic

<div>
(ironKid @ Nov. 17 2007,06:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">However, my goal is still gaining weight, so I'm going to increase my calorie intake to 3,800 kcal per day, distributed as 25%P, 10%CH, 65%F. I'm on a low-carb TKD diet (carbs around my workout). I understand this might not be ideal for gaining weight, but I want to try during one cycle, to see how it goes.
wink.gif
</div>
You could try to use: 2,2g of carbs x Kg lbm pre/post wo and 3,2g of prot x Kg lbm (during the day). Don't increase the fats too much or you'll have the reverse effect...you'll get fat

What about your refeeds?

hi, i'm having 125g (1.5g/kg lbm) of carbs per day, half before and half after my workout, and 2.5g/kg lbm of protein along day. About fat intake i'm having 62% of my total calorie intake from fats, distributed as follows 29%sat, 38%monoinsat and 33%poliinsat

i'm not refeeding, i'm in a pure TKD. Besides i'm feeling very well, my energy levels are very good, even when I do HIIT.

My plan is to go on a TKD during this first cycle to play with the calorie intake and find a bottom line. Besides, i don't want to put much weight before xmas.
biggrin.gif

I'm already planning my 2nd cycle starting in Jan, and think i'm going for an iso diet then.

Do you have any comments, any idea/suggestion is very welcome!  
wink.gif

I think TKD without refeed is not so good for MASS/BULK.
I intend TKD as a Metabolic or better Anabolic diet, so: carbs between wo (TDEE or 10/15% more) and big carb refeed on the week end, 24/48 hours depending by the BF.
This is what Dr Di Pasquale says as necessary on is Anabolic Solution book...have you read it?
In Italy, on another forum, some guys have good results with a similar diet, these are the guidelines:

3,2g of prot x kg lbm

30-40% fats of tot calories:
-)20/30% sat ( eggs, red meat and cocconut/MCT)
-)30/20% da monoinsat (olive oil, almonds)
-)50% polinsat omega 3 (flax oil, walnuts, fat fish)
-)EFA 6/10gr x day

carbs only pre or post-wo (or both) 2,2gr x kg lbm (less (1/1,5) if  BF is too high; but you can experiment)

Calories: TDEE or 100/200 under for &quot;clean bulk&quot;

Refeed: Tipe1 (ectomorph) 2 refeedings x week each 3 o 4 days. Lasting 5 hours from post wo at 5,2gr of carbs x kg di LBM

Tipe2 (mesomorph/endomorph) 2 refeedings  x week each 3 o 4 days. Lasting 5 hours from post wo at 3,2gr of carbs x kg di LBM

(Remember to only increase the carbs during the refeedings, fats and prot stay the same: so you have more calories)

Free meals: 2 free meals x week. Use starches and lean proteins. Limit to the max fats

I beg your pardon for my english

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I beg your pardon for my english </div>
You kiding right?, your english is as good as mine, if no better. BTW, i knew you were italian, what can be with that nickname  
wink.gif
 , you are though missing the avatar of the great dottore. Myself i'm more into F1, supporting Alonso (so yes, i'm spanish)

I have read the Anabolic Diet from Dr Di Pasquale, it was my first book on keto/metabolic diets. I read it some time ago, but if I remember well, it was based on a CKD. Are we talking about the same book? BTW, thanks for your guidelines, look great!  
wink.gif
Let me know it works for you, I'm sure going to try it after my current cycle. Is there any place/book where I can find more info, like samples, or something like that?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Calories: TDEE or 100/200 under for &quot;clean bulk&quot;</div>
you mean over, right? you cannot bulk under TDEE

<div>
(ironKid @ Nov. 22 2007,11:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
You kiding right?, your english is as good as mine, if no better. BTW, i knew you were italian, what can be with that nickname  
wink.gif
 , you are though missing the avatar of the great dottore. Myself i'm more into F1, supporting Alonso (so yes, i'm spanish) </div>

My nick is not referred to Valentino Rossi...my friends call me so: doctor in italian dottore

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
I have read the Anabolic Diet from Dr Di Pasquale, it was my first book on keto/metabolic diets. I read it some time ago, but if I remember well, it was based on a CKD. Are we talking about the same book?
</div>

Yes that's the book but he gives &quot;particular&quot; guidelines for mass. It's a CKD: 30g of carbs/day with 24/48 hours of refeed but he suggests to increase post wo carbs if &quot;you&quot; feel weak or you are involved in strenght sports. He suggests to use 50Kcal x kg (with 30g x day) to increase the mass, but I and other guys think that are excessive for a drug free atlet. That way we'll only increase the fat. So we increase the post wo carbs and use 36/40Kcal x day (or better, these numbers are the weekly average so TDEE or a bit more over the week and TDEE+20-40% in the week end)

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
BTW, thanks for your guidelines, look great!  
wink.gif
Let me know it works for you, I'm sure going to try it after my current cycle. Is there any place/book where I can find more info, like samples, or something like that?
</div>

a good nutritional book is: Burn the fat feed the muscle by Tom Venuto

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Calories: TDEE or 100/200 under for &quot;clean bulk&quot;</div>
you mean over, right? you cannot bulk under TDEE </div>
No, I'm right, for that kind of diet is correct because you have two refeeds over the week were you increase the carbs and so the calories; and two free meals (carb based) were you can eat &quot;as much as&quot; you want

thanks for your guidelines dottore
biggrin.gif
, i'll try and let you know, tough i think i'll do after xmas, i'm in my second wk of 10s, and prefer to test a full cycle with your diet, to see how it goes

W/O #9

Squat   2x210
Bench Press   2x145
Bent-over row   2x145
Seated Military press   2x100
Calf raise   1x310
Rev Lat Pulldown   1x120
Close Grip Bench Press   1x125

today it was a bit hard, it took me some time between sets to recover. By far my hardes w/o since on HST.

bad news are that for work reasons i' won't be able to traing during 5 days, a mini SD in the middle of the 10s.

<div>
(ironKid @ Nov. 24 2007,14:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">thanks for your guidelines dottore  
biggrin.gif
, i'll try and let you know, tough i think i'll do after xmas, i'm in my second wk of 10s, and prefer to test a full cycle with your diet, to see how it goes</div>
Ok, I also think that's the best choise

W/O #10

Deads 2x200
Inclined Bench Press 2x145
Lat Pulldown 2x130
Upright row 2x75
Calf press 1x330
Rev Lat Pulldown 1x120
Close Grip Bench Press 1x130

Again an easy workout. After some days out of the gym due to work i thought it would be hard to keep up with planned loads, but it was quite easy actually. I finished in 25 min, and completed all sets without much problems. I'm going to increase the loads on my next w/o. I really think I have to hit my 10RM on this phase, with 1 or 2 exceptions, the last 4 wks have been a walk in the park.

W/O #11

Squat   2x230
Bench Press   2x155
Bent-over row   2x155
Seated Military press   2x110
Calf raise   1x330
Rev Lat Pulldown   1x130
Close Grip Bench Press   1x140

ok, it was kind of tough today  
cool.gif
, and the longest w/o in the whole cycle, though still under 40 min. However, I could finish all sets and reps. I struggled the most with the Military press and Close Grip Bench Press but managed with ease the bench press, which is very good because it has been by far my weakest part since I started training. It's not yet a PR, but the progress and ease I have managed the loads is very good. I don't know for the rest of the body, but HST is working for my chest.

On the bad side, I'm not gaining weight. It could be because my diet (TKD) or because I'm not eating enough (a lot of compromises and travelling lately), or probably a mix of both. Anyway, keeping the weight while increasing my strenght is not such a bad thing  
laugh.gif
. I will not try to gain weight on this cycle (only two weeks to end) especially with the x-mas time short ahead, but i'm definetly going to try a more aggressive diet approach from January  
biggrin.gif

Good results so far ironKid. Your militaries will be affected by your benching. The heavier the loads get for bench the more your militaries take a hit. Actually, your military press numbers are pretty good when compared to your bench - around 70% - even though you are hitting them after bench. My presses are only around 60% of my bench, but then my presses suck!
smile.gif

It would definitely seem that you haven't been consuming enough calories and you will be limiting your potential progress in the mass department until you sort that out. Figure out what you need to do for your next cycle and you should see some great progress to go along with the strength gains from this cycle.

Thanks for your comments Lol

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Actually, your military press numbers are pretty good when compared to your bench</div>
I'm quite happy with my development on this, however, it's bringing up my front delts with little development of back delts. This gives me an awwards side-look. Any advise to improve back-delts?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It would definitely seem that you haven't been consuming enough calories and you will be limiting your potential progress in the mass department until you sort that out. Figure out what you need to do for your next cycle and you should see some great progress to go along with the strength gains from this cycle.
</div>
you are fully right , I need to pack in more calories, but I’m a bit lost here. Let me explain this: 6 months ago I was 242 pounds with about 25% BF. I was eating 3,800 kcal and still gaining weight (most of it fat BTW  
sad.gif
) I was using a conventional training (body part split – 5days/week) and conventional diet (high carb-low fat). I was fed up with the results. Some might said I was overtrained, but my strength gains were great, so I don’t think so. Nevertheless I wanted muscle-size, not just bodyfat + strength. So I decided to start investigating myself and forgetting about any pre-conceived ideas (I think this is the reason because I'm so skeptical)
As a first step I started investigating on keto diets (the opposite thing I was doing back then), and they worked  
cool.gif
!!
This breakthrough made me start investigating about other training methods, and long story short I arrived here  
smile.gif
Bottom line, right now I’m 213 pounds with 16%bf, roughly I have lost 2pounds of LBM but 26pounds of fat, which is very good
cool.gif
. The most amazing thing is that I’m on 3,700 kcal (my previously bulk calorie intake) and I’m either maintaining weight or losing it, and this is considering that I’m spending in the gym about 40% of the time I was before.
So this is my contradiction: what was too much before is little now
rock.gif
I have come to the conclusion I’m carb sensitive, although I recognize I have to eat carbs to bulk. BUT how much,  how much should I eat to do a bulk as clean as possible (and I don't mean clean bulk, but with reasonable bodyfat gains)? I think about this almost every day trying to figure it out. I’m planning already my 2nd cycle (diet-wise, not planning any major change on w/o), starting in Jan. The advise of dottore in this topic has been useful, and I think I’m going to follow it (it packs a lot of carbs but alway around training). I'm also thinking about training in the mornings. This way, i can eat more carbs until 3-4pm, but not risking any insulin spike during late afternoon and bed time , I’ll let you know how I’m doing.

W/O #12

Deads 2x220
Inclined Bench Press 2x155
Lat Pulldown 2x145
Upright row 2x75
Calf press 1x350
Rev Lat Pulldown 1x130
Close Grip Bench Press 1x145

Again some problems with the close grip bench press, just managed to hit 8 reps. Everything else went fine. This last part of my 10s is making me sweat as ever on HST. I understand what you mean guys when you advised me not to increase much the load on the 15s.

W/O #13 - 5s #1

Squat   4x230
Bench Press   4x165
Bent-over row   4x165
Seated Military press   4x110
Calf raise   2x330
Rev Lat Pulldown   2x130
Close Grip Bench Press   2x145

Easy but long w/o, it was just 40 minutes, but I was getting used not to spend more than 25 minutes in the gym  
laugh.gif

I managed all the loads but it was tough. I'm having some minor soreness on my lower back and hamstrings. Glad about this, my hamstrings are by far my weakest body-part and thought i was not hitting them with deads and squats. On the other hand, bench press and military press were abnormally easy. I could have pushed on 2/3 more reps without much problem. I didn't do so, I'm starting to feel what HST means and I know the 5s are not going to be easy.

Back