1st Cycle...

<div>
(Oxiomeat @ Jun. 23 2008,9:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Work out #10 (10's)
----------------

Squats 2x10 @ 90kg
Flat Bench Press 2x10 @ 60kg
Yates Row 2x10 @ 60kg
Dips 2x10 @ BW
Military press 2x10 @ 32.5kg (had to really struggle to get my last 2 reps out in the second set)
Upright Row 2x10 @ 32.5kg
Lat pull down 2x10 @ (Level 9)

Workout went really well today considering I have been ill over the weekend being sick and not being able to consume any food or drink for 2 days, felt really drained and light headed after the work out though and it also took me about 20 minutes longer to complete than usual.

Thanks for the advice electric, I think I will have to reduce my 10 RM workout to 1 set for the military press and maybe for the bench press.</div>
hi dun mind me butting in.

actually when u were in yr 15s, &amp; just
after layoff just try w 1 set instead of 2,
cause u could be pushing it. I myself
just started again after a SD, e 1 set felt
like a mini cardio on its own. so if u end up
too fast (cause e weights feel light to u),
u might wanna puke etc.

another thing is maybe u could rotate yr ex into push/pull
eg. dips (push), upright row (pull), milt press (push),
lat pull down (pull). this way u give opposing muscles time to recover in between exercises. but if u feel fine then keep on going with wat u have.
laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
another thing is maybe u could rotate yr ex into push/pull
eg. dips (push), upright row (pull), milt press (push),
lat pull down (pull). this way u give opposing muscles time to recover in between exercises. but if u feel fine then keep on going with wat u have.
</div>

Thanks for the advice, I never thought about that, the way I write my work out is the order in which it is performed. It kinda follows push/pull up untill I perform the military press after the dips. Maybe thats why I struggle with the military press because its straight after dips another push exercise. On Wednesday I shall change the order to this:

Squats
Flat Bench Press
Yates Row
Military press
Upright Row
Dips
Lat pull down

Work out #11 (10's)
----------------

Squats 2x10 @ 95kg
Flat Bench Press 2x10 @ 65kg
Yates Row 2x10 @ 65kg
Military press 1x10 / 1x7 @ 35kg
Upright Row 1x10 @ 35kg
Dips 1x10 @ BW
Lat pull down 1x10 @ (Level 10)

Killer work out today feel exhausted, took note of what others have said and reduced the volume to 1 set for most exercises, next session I will also reduce the military press to 1, shouldnt really have went for the 2nd set today but the first set went so well and thought I had enough in the tank to complete the 2nd set but stopped 1 rep before failure at 7.

Also thinking of extending my 10's by a week or two and increasing the weight buy about 2.5kg each week per exercise, what are peoples thoughts on this?

actually, it should be 1 x 15s, 2 x 10s, 3 x 5s (not
set in stone though) if u can't complete e set eg.
u stop at 7 in yr milt press, u could rack e weight
&amp; try squeezing e remainder 3 out after a brief
pause of maybe 10 sec (either 1 shot or 1 then rack
then 1 then rack then last) but if u're already spent
then leave it at 7, it's not a must to finish it as long
as u've done it properly.

nothing wrong to extend by a wk but not too long
else e body will adapt.

as for &quot;increasing e weight 2.5 kg per wk per ex....&quot;
I'm not sure wat u mean... by right before u start
e workout, u should have worked out e poundages
sounds like u're relying on guess work.

if u're already in this state, then prob go by how
your body feel. if it feels too heavy, go back to e
previous weight u used. if feels too heavy then add
5 ibs for small bodyparts, 10 ibs for bigger bodyparts

maybe others could chip in?
laugh.gif

I did my first cycle about two months ago and you'll find a lot of it is trial and error. I learned alot. From my experience I would try to stick to the 6 sessions of 10's and extend the 5's. However, if you do your sixth session of 10's and can still add weight on some exercises then do another session while adding weight on those exercises that you can add. Once you're truly at your 10 rep maxes on all exercises, go to 5's.

Also, 1 set is fine in the 10's. 2 of the 10's is somewhat the standard but it's better to do each individual exercise at your highest intensity than kill your endurance doing 2 sets of squats and rows and you can hardly finish your other exercises.

HST is the best training program that I've found. I love it. I am on the last day of my 15's on my 2nd cycle after a 26 day SD that was due to an injury. At this point in my current cycle, I have regained all the size, stamina, and strength that I lost while recovering. Good luck!

Work out #12  (10's)
----------------

Squats 2x10 @ 100kg
Flat Bench Press 2x10 @ 67.5kg
Yates Row 2x10 @ 67.5kg
Military press 2x10 @ 37.5kg
Upright Row 1x7 @ 37.5kg
Dips 1x10 @ BW
Lat pull down 1x10 @ (Level 8)

Whilst performing upright rows I was getting a pain behing my left shoulder blade as I was lifting the weight so decided to stop, this has been happening past few sessions now, may drop up right rows for rest of the cycle.

Went to do 2nd set of dips but had nothing in the tank again, lowered my self and couldnt push back up
biggrin.gif

Had to lower the level on the lat pull down to ensure I could maintain good form to finish off.

Hotterdog - I done the tests before I started the cycle but have found in both the 15's and 10's so far I am lifting heavier weights then I was when I first did the tests.

Thats why I was thinking of extending the 10's so I can add another 2.5/5kg to each exercise before I move up onto 5's.

Rattle - rather than add another week i might add another session or two because I really do think I can add more weight before I am at my true 10 RM.

Thanks for the input guys much appreciated.

<div>
(Oxiomeat @ Jun. 27 2008,7:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Work out #12 (10's)
----------------

Squats 2x10 @ 100kg
Flat Bench Press 2x10 @ 67.5kg
Yates Row 2x10 @ 67.5kg
Military press 2x10 @ 37.5kg
Upright Row 1x7 @ 37.5kg
Dips 1x10 @ BW
Lat pull down 1x10 @ (Level 8)

Whilst performing upright rows I was getting a pain behing my left shoulder blade as I was lifting the weight so decided to stop, this has been happening past few sessions now, may drop up right rows for rest of the cycle.

Went to do 2nd set of dips but had nothing in the tank again, lowered my self and couldnt push back up
biggrin.gif

Had to lower the level on the lat pull down to ensure I could maintain good form to finish off.</div>
if e pain in yr shoulder blade continues, better
see a doc. i duno if it's yr execution or e position
of e grip tat went wrong. upright rows should
be done shoulder width grip.

Work out #13 (Extension of 10's)
----------------

Squats 2x10 @ 105kg
Flat Bench Press 2x10 @ 70kg
Yates Row 2x10 @ 70kg
Military press 1x10 / 1x7 @ 40kg
Dips 2x10 @ BW
Lat pull down 2x10 @ (Level 8/9)

Decided to extend the 10's by one session as I felt I could add more weight. Glad I did as I lifted 5kg above each exercise RM. Going to start the 5's next session, looking forward to it, so far so good.

Hotterdog - I think using a EZ bar would solve the problem as using an oly bar feels a bit unnatural to me. I dont mind dropping upright rows for the time being anyway as im getting drained now im at the end of my 10s.

I have to do upright rows with a fairly close grip or they are too uncomfortable. It seems to make little difference whether I use an EZ-bar or a regular Oly bar just as long as my hands are quite close together (about 6&quot; apart). For all shoulder work I have to do plenty of light, high-rep warmups too.

All the best with the 5s.

Work out #14 (Start of 5's)
----------------

Squats 3x5 @ 95kg
Flat Bench Press 3x5 @ 55kg
Yates Row 3x5 @ 55kg
Military press 3x5 @ 35kg
Dips 2x10 @ BW
Lat pull down 3x5 @ (Level 9)

Had some shoulder pain today, didnt stop me from doing military press although it hurt a little.

Find the begining of each cycle really easy, so today was a breeze, flew through the work out with minimal rests.

<div>
(Lol @ Jun. 30 2008,1:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have to do upright rows with a fairly close grip or they are too uncomfortable. It seems to make little difference whether I use an EZ-bar or a regular Oly bar just as long as my hands are quite close together (about 6&quot; apart). For all shoulder work I have to do plenty of light, high-rep warmups too.

All the best with the 5s.</div>
Lol - I will try to warm the area up a little more before I begin then to hopefully help reduce the pain.

<div>
(Oxiomeat @ Jul. 02 2008,1:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Lol - I will try to warm the area up a little more before I begin then to hopefully help reduce the pain.</div>
If the pain continues, you maybe oughta see a doctor, or at least stop the upright rows. That particular exercise can do a lot of damage to your rotator cuffs.

It might not be an issue, but it's something you want to keep an eye on. Once your shoulders get hurt, your lifting can be severely limited.

Work out #15 (5's)
----------------

Squats 3x5 @ 100kg
Flat Bench Press 3x5 @ 60kg
Yates Row 3x5 @ 60kg
Military press 3x5 @ 37.5kg
Dips 2x10 @ BW (keep forgetting my belt for weighted dips.. )
Pull ups 3x5 @ BW (holding last one for as long as I could)

Thanks for the advice everyone - I will be sure to keep an eye on the situation and go to the docs if I feel it gets worse.

Work out #16 (5's)
----------------

Squats 3x5 @ 105kg
Flat Bench Press 3x5 @ 65kg
Yates Row 3x5 @ 65kg
Military press 3x5 @ 40kg
Dips 2x10 @ BW
Pull ups 3x5 @ BW

Work out #17 (5's)
----------------

Squats 3x5 @ 110kg
Flat Bench Press 3x5 @ 70kg
Yates Row 3x5 @ 70kg
Military press 3x5 @ 42.5kg
Dips 2x10 @ BW
Pull ups 3x5 @ BW

Work out #18 (5's)
----------------

Squats 3x5 @ 115kg
Flat Bench Press 3x5 @ 75kg
Yates Row 3x5 @ 75kg
Military press 3x5 @ 45kg
Dips 2x10 @ BW
Pull ups 3x5 @ BW

Work out #19 (5's)
----------------

Squats 3x5 @ 120kg
Flat Bench Press 3x5 @ 80kg
Yates Row 3x5 @ 80kg
Military press 1x5 @ 50kg / 2 @ 50kg, 3 @ 47.5kg / 1x5 @ 45kg
Dips 2x10 @ BW
Lat Pull Down 3x5 @ Level 10

Been away for a short holiday for four days and knew today was going to be tough and it was, really feeling it now, probs going to have a few aches tomorrow.

Went too heavy on the military press as I forgot what I did last session. Had to drop down to 45 to finish off as the 7 reps of 50kg killed me
tounge.gif

So thats the end of my 5's, so now going to repeat 5's again then SD for my next cycle, ive have already reached my goal of 14stone for this cycle with 2 weeks to go, im currently 14stone 2lb so thats good. Maybe I can reach 14stone 5lb or 14 and a half stone by the end.

Forgot to mention, since I have had 4 days away and dropped upright rows my shoulder pain has stopped for the time being which is good news.

What do you guys usually do at this time in the cycle? I have noone to spot so cant do negatives and was thinking of just repeating 5's. Does anyone do 3's? if so how many sets per exercise 5x3?

Not sure if repeating 3's with the progression would be the best option. I would either go to 3's or probably better would be to continue your current cycle of 5's giving yourself a rule of trying to add weight where you can until you cannot add any weight on any exercises for two sessions. Here's how I'd structure it.

On your next exercise, add 5 kgs to whatever exercises you think you might be able to add to. Stay at the last workouts weights on anything that you cannot add to. Do this for every subsequent workout until you go 2 workouts without adding any weight to any workout. At that point, SD and start over. This could add another 2 to 3 weeks. You'll be surprised where you'll be able to add once you get going. For example, you might find you can add 5 kg to your squat while you go 3 sessions at the same weight with bench and then on your fourth session you might be unable to add weight to squats but you might find you cannot add to your bench weights.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Back