1x15, 1x10, 2x5??????

_Simon_

i was wondering if 1x15, 1x10, 2x5 was okay to do??? it keeps the total no of reps each workout fairly constant, but is it enough volume?
i'm STILL confused about volume's relationship with hypertrophy, because there has to be SOME guideline or limit/minimum. (i mean, you can't just go in and do one rep, but still progressively loading... lol)
i'm GUESSING what you guys'll say is that it's relative to the individual's CURRENT conditioning level (what they've grown accustomed to).

i dunno hey, i'm still sticking with 1x15, 2x10, 3x5, just to keep the volume (sets x reps) fairly constant while progressively loading. (i'm wondering how long the 3x5 workouts will take as i don't know if i will have much time).
but yeah, then again i also read about that volume should DECREASE as intensity rising (intensity being defined as a percentage of your 1RM). but then TOTAL WORKLOAD is dropping (reps x sets x weight/force).

i'd love to hear your thoughts, thanks heaps guys!!!

Simon

Simon, I think the true answer is that nobody knows yet how much volume is enough for any individual. There are several factors that play a part. One is conditioning (as you mention); another is training frequency; load (and therefore intensity) is definitely another.

The best thing is to do what you know works for you and adjust things as Blade (or was it Bryan?) describes in the HST FAQs here: How many sets? Read it and then read it again!
smile.gif

It does seem that there is a minimum volume required for PS at any one time, so reducing volume to account for increasing frequency will fail to produce results at some point.

I think the biggest point is that volume is required to create enough work (total poundage) to stimulate the muscle fibers.

As Lol points out the above link is indeed a good read.

On the other hand Bryan also says, if the load gest too much you can drop down to 2 x 5 on the second week of 5's but I'd only do it if it gets too much, else I keep going.

Some of these matters require one to play it by ear a bit (listen to your body).
wink.gif

I agree with what Lol and Fausto said. But since Fausto mentioned to "listen to your body" I would like to remind you that sometimes that can be counter productive. Meaning, your body will naturally want to do as little work as possible once you start hammering it and you may get the feeling that you need to reduce volume, when in reality to continue making gains you may need to keep it the same or even increase it. I guess the way to tell is if you do listen to your body and drop volume, and you stop making gains, then you probably shouldn't have listened to your body!

All that being said. I have found that my best results have come from 2 working sets throughout my cycle. So my volume does decrease throughout my cycle, although not drastically.

True...true...Bulldog!

Within reason that is, when I say listen to your body I mean stuff like don't push it too hard and ignore your body, and slack up where necessary...I guess it takes a bit of experience to make those decisions.
biggrin.gif

I understand that Fausto and agree that you should listen to your body. But sometimes some people listen to well! I know I have done it in the past. I guess what I'm recommending is somewhat "selective hearing" (like my kids have).
laugh.gif

Personaly by the time I get to the 5 rep stage I'm pretty glad for it, I don't worry about the volume at all, I find that it's much easier to do the poundage progressivly!

I did that my first cycle and did an uncontrolled bulk. I gained around 30lbs with about half of it being LBM. My 5rm increased roughly 25%. So yeah it works, but I would aim for 1lb/wk instead of 2.5lb/wk like I did! Well... I didnt really aim...
biggrin.gif

Took me 2 cycles to cut that fat off
sad.gif

There's no exact answer. However, IMO if in doubt, do less.

It also depends on the number of excercises.

thanks for your input guys!

i've already done 1 x 15 last week (my first week), NOW i'm thinking (after reading the hst faq a bit) of just doing 2 work sets for every week... (so the volume is dropping, but the load is increasing)...

i'm so daaarn confused it's crazy! is increasing total work (reps x sets x weight/force) the key factor? OOOOR is it the increasing load (regardless of volume)???
i've probably asked this, or maybe i'm asking too big a question cos i can't seem to find an answer regarding this and HST hey.
plus it seems bryan has confused things a little (NO offence bryan!
smile.gif
) but he states in the hst faq that as loads increase, volume may drop and that's fine if it does. but in another topic on this forum he voted for 'keeping the volume constant'.

thanks again guys!

Simon

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i'm so daaarn confused it's crazy! is increasing total work (reps x sets x weight/force) the key factor? OOOOR is it the increasing load (regardless of volume)???
i've probably asked this, or maybe i'm asking too big a question cos i can't seem to find an answer regarding this and HST hey.</div>

Increasing load is one of the four key principals of HST.

There seems to be a minimum time under tension to elicit response from a load that is different for everyone based on factors, all of which may not be completely known. I would hazard a guess that for a noob 1x15/1x10/2x5 would probably work just fine for at least a couple of cycles.

oh ok yeah, thanks for that!
yeah, cos while colby2152 says that increasing load is a principle, i'm SURE that one cannot do 1 rep and then just go do the next workout with an increased load and get results.
i've done research and stuff, and can't accept that tut (or even just total volume) doesn't play any part. but yeah, i do believe that it IS individual, and is based on current conditioning (what you've done in the past).
so yeah, i may not do 1x15, 1x10, 2x5, cos my previous training was definitely more than that (in terms of total volume per week), so yes. ok, i think i'm satisfied now!
smile.gif

anyways, i'd still love to keep discussing it anyhows if there IS any more to discuss lol.

thanks, Simon

basicly you need to progress the load,and do enough work to make you the individual grow,once you stop growing then increase the work.
ie if 1 set is making you grow then stick with it when it stops do 2 sets.
do as little as you need to grow why do more untill you need to.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

AHHHH ok yeah! that made things a whooole lot clearer, thanks faz!!!
ok, so i'm doing 1x15, 2x10, 3x5, do you recommend i just do 1x15, 1x10, 1x5 and ONLY increase when i stop growing? meh, i'll figure it out, i just ain't used to doing 'intuitive' bodybuilding haha.
thanks again
wink.gif

no if your already doing this 1x15, 2x10, 3x5 then your body is already used to that volume so stick with it IMO unless you take a long SD then maybe you could start back with less.

OH nah, well i JUST started 1x15, 2x10, 3x5. next week will be my 10s mesocycle. so yeah, i still WOULD have time to change it, but i don't think i will anyways, i still don't think it would be enough volume for me hey.
thanks

i just finished the 10s last week, boy they were a little though hehe. now the 5s! had my first session today, but that's the thing, it didn't seem too demanding hey... not to worry though i'm sure it will soon haha... and also yeah i know feeling 'trashed' isn't the goal lol.

i've got a question regarding the 5s, and the warmups, is it ok to just do about 10 reps of 50% of the weight i'll be using??? for warmup that is. or should i follow the many sets of warmups as outlined in the faq? actually i was thinking of doing 50%, then 75%. has anyone else tried only one or two warmup sets? how did it go, any problems???

thanks!!!

Simon

Most of us do not count warmups as actual work sets, so yes it is ok...the one thing to watch out for is not to tire yourself out before the workout.

So...1 set high reps + 1 set 5 with about 90% of the weight you'll use, then on with the business at hand!
wink.gif

Generally for 10's I'd do maximum 2 warmups at most, even 1 is normally fine, for 5's you do a bit more depending on thew weight.

This of course is my opinion and will vary from others, we're all different!
wink.gif

Back