1x15, 1x10, 2x5??????

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">yeah, cos while colby2152 says that increasing load is a principle, i'm SURE that one cannot do 1 rep and then just go do the next workout with an increased load and get results.</div>

Two reasons to debate that statement...
1) That's the time for negatives (eccentric rep only) or continuing your 1RM
2) It's time to SD

<div>
(style @ Jun. 07 2007,13:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You could also increase the volume and decrease the frequency, that would work too.</div>
Decrease the frequency?
mad.gif

AHH, my virgin ears!
tounge.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">yeah, cos while colby2152 says that increasing load is a principle, i'm SURE that one cannot do 1 rep and then just go do the next workout with an increased load and get results.</div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Two reasons to debate that statement...
1) That's the time for negatives (eccentric rep only) or continuing your 1RM
2) It's time to SD </div>

i don't understand what you're saying here colby haha, sorry!
what i meant was is that in relation to muscle hypertrophy, one rep ALL UP will not produce gains in that respect.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">what i meant was is that in relation to muscle hypertrophy, one rep ALL UP will not produce gains in that respect. </div>

Okay, I am with you now. However, if done correctly, post-5's (eccentrics, clustering, progressing upon 5RM) will produce significant hypertrophy. I do agree with you that ONE CONCENTRIC REP by itself will not grant hypertrophy.

Ah ok yeah haha i understand.

I am starting my 5s atm, and when i am post-5s i'm planning on doing my 5RM and increasing loads wherever possible. Is that how i should approach my last few weeks? also, are the post-5s mainly focused on increasing RMs for your NEXT cycle? or is it meant to still cause further hypertrophy? (OH that is i mean if you can't do negatives and are only increasing your 5RM). i'd think it would induce further hypertrophy, even if increments won't be huge (eg 1kg, 0.5kg increases etc...).

aaaalso lol, i was wondering because at the moment i'm doing 3 sets per exercise in the 5s. Should i decrease the number of sets to 2 in the post-5s, simply because it's going to be VERY taxing on me during them last two weeks if i'm working at or near my max???

thanks everyone!

Simon

Don't follow a rubric per se... listen to yourself. Is doing 3 sets overtraining for you at this point? If you can handle it, keep the volume up as long as possible. Drop it down only when you feel necessary. I would recommend getting those maxes up as high as possible in your post 5's... that way it sets yourself up for the next cycle... so basically, use your 5RM, then when you can do that 5 times, move up in weight. Keep increasing until you find a weight you can't get 5 times... then stick with that until you CAN get it 5 times. (And using however many sets you currently decide to use)

GatorDude is right about the sets. Listen to your body when it comes to how many sets you want to do. If you stick to a lower amount of exercises (3-7), then most likely you will not be doing another exercise afterwards that targets that muscle group. It's a workout; lift as hard as you can and do that extra set, but don't push yourself to failure!

Back