200, 300, 400, 500 - A quest for greatness

Nice work, Mike! Looks like you're hitting your head on the pullups - is that just the camera angle?

Here's a video of my daily Broz-ing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XppFi7OMGMI&hd=1

Of interest to me is the fact that these two singles look almost comparable in difficulty at all of 10 lbs apart, and the second one is fully paused. I really just do not get much out of my bounces, weirdly.

I also included my dipfail, mostly because it's the first time I've manned up and actually attempted the weight. I wish I had the 170 on camera, but ran out of memory literally moments before completing the rep.

The pause rep was great, Mike. Very symmetrical, very controlled. The bounce wasn't bad at all - nice 'n controlled. The dip - well, there's next time.

The pause rep was great, Mike. Very symmetrical, very controlled. The bounce wasn't bad at all - nice 'n controlled. The dip - well, there's next time.

I'm doing an interesting experiment where I'm basically singling up in bounces, then singling back up in pauses. My squat workout today looked like this:

135 x whatever
155 x whatever
185 x a few
205 x 1
225 x 1
245 x 1
265 x 1
285 x 1

then paused:

135 x 1
155 x 1
185 x 1
205 x 1
225 x 1
245 x 1
265 x 1
275 x 1

Short rests between all the sets, since no jump is ever that big. It's actually surprisingly tiring to the legs, despite being mostly singles. Fun stuff.

That's a heck of an idea, Mike. I can only imagine how hard on your legs that effort was - especially the hams for the paused reps.

Not too bad. I basically repeated the same workout today 8D

Squatting heavy daily is definitely an interesting experience. Or just lifting basically daily. Your "anytime strength" noticeably goes up - i.e. if your best unbelted squat is ~300 (that's about as much as I've done), I can probably hit 285-295 literally almost any day, and occasionally probably above that. Versus depending on an entire ~6 week cycle or whatever to get my strength that high.

Your perception of effort also noticeably changes. I can kind of semi-relaxedly go into very heavy for me singles - don't need to amp myself up or anything, I basically just go through the motions, concentrating on technique, and even if the lift is hard/slow, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

More singles from today. The singles towards the end of the 2nd wave through, i.e. pauses, started getting noticeably better, such that I was able to tie my bounced top single (in fairness, I might have been able to go heavier, but usually will stop as speed deteriorates that much) with my pause. Actually, I think a no belt, banded pause with 285 is an all time PR in this style, so that's cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_2Pf1YpdE&hd=1

Back