2016 Log

Deciding if I want to make Tuesday a PDL day. I prefer not impeding recovery from Monday’s max single, but by necessity the loads are lighter for paused than not.

Considered SLDL but they never seem to do too much for me, and they’re a world apart form wise. I don’t understand how Tom Martin gets such great value out of them, as we have not dissimilar builds in terms of leverages.

Block pulls maybe? I love doing them but don’t know about the carryover. They’re the best hypertrophy exercise for the back IMO, but deadlifting for me involves quads in the break.

Anyway, food for thought.
I found block pulls had more carryover Ethan I thought they would, but personally I think Beltless paused dl’s are king.

Maybe go for a longer pause of 3sec so the loads are lighter which would help recovery for your main dl.

Happy new year btw

I found block pulls had more carryover Ethan I thought they would, but personally I think Beltless paused dl’s are king.

Maybe go for a longer pause of 3sec so the loads are lighter which would help recovery for your main dl.

Happy new year btw

Back at you, mate.

When I was my strongest I was doing a lot of paused work.

For me, block pulls had so little effect because of leverages (my theory). I think they do a lot of good things for shorter armed people to get more reps in without the injury risk or high hamstring fatigue. Lots of fun though.

Lower height might be worth playing with.

Soph’s sleep cut the squats out again.

RDLs; 3-200kg,4x5-210kg@8.

Rows; 6x8-110kg.

Last edited:
Aaaannnddd shortened once more. Toddler sleep regression is a thing, apparently.

Anyhow;

FSQ; 4x3-100kg@7.

Deficits; [email protected].

A lot of people use deficits to improve break speed due to ROM. I think they’re useless at doing that.

I use them to practice leg drive, because your back simply can’t raise the weight with the extra leverage demands, and the slightly increased knee extension really helps to ingrain the leg drive aspect of deadlifting, i.e. ‘push the floor away’.

They are also fantastic for teaching you how to cue mentally to speed up a rep as you perform it, ala try to keep accelerating the bar. Great for lockout work, but not a speed developer the way YouTube seems to think.

LBBS; 3x5-120kg@6-7.

PDL; 3-200kg, 3x3-210kg@8 - felt like RPE 11 really, just a bit over fatigued I think.

Rows; 6x6-120kg@7.

Decided to return squats to twice weekly only, probably LBBS, given left knee issues and history.

DL; 5-200kg, 3-220kg, [email protected]. These felt fantastic. Probably had 20 sets in me.

Stopped at 8 sets so as not to chance acute recovery issues.

In future I might add OHP to this day, and just sneak extra sets in here and there.

How are you finding incorporating the Low Bar squat? I guess there are two schools of though, 1) may have detrimental effect to the deadlift because of the increased fatigue or 2) may improve your deadlift as a low bar squat movement incorporates similar muscles and movement pattern to the deadlift.

How are you finding incorporating the Low Bar squat? I guess there are two schools of though, 1) may have detrimental effect to the deadlift because of the increased fatigue or 2) may improve your deadlift as a low bar squat movement incorporates similar muscles and movement pattern to the deadlift.

Hard to say, probably too early. I’ve generally found them helpful but probably because of the bracing and quads as much as anything. For me at least, the movement patterns aren’t that similar.

I think if squat volume is high enough to impact your deadlift, there’s bigger issues at play.

I’ll probably keep them paused and beltless to manage the fatigue.

PLBBS; 5-100kg, 4x3-120kg@7.

DL; 5-200kg, 4x2-220kg@7. Trying to focus on speed and break, was quite happy with these.

Rows; 3x6-130kg@11,000 ... these felt really heavy, not sure why.

DL; 5-200kg, 3,1-220kg, 8x2-240kg@8.

Interrupted, hence single at 220kg to reset before doing the doubles.

Back