2016 Log

Beltless deficit; 3-200kg, 1-220kg@8, 1-230kg@9. [email protected].

FPDL; 3x3-210kg@8.

Volume to increase with time for these lifts.

Don’t love beltless deficits, but they probably make me re-enforce my positioning enough that I should stick with them.

Gonna see how you get on with deficits to see if you have much carry over. I've never had much carry over from them... but then maybe its because I just hate them. I dont feel like I can really pull my back flat with deficits.

Gonna see how you get on with deficits to see if you have much carry over. I've never had much carry over from them... but then maybe its because I just hate them. I dont feel like I can really pull my back flat with deficits.

I’ve never found them to be awesome, but I think I want to run two accessory movements on my second pulling day; beltless variation and paused deadlifts.

The thing I find them most useful for is practicing leg drive, and pulling the slack out.

The idea that doing a longer range of motion makes the shorter range stronger flies in the face of ‘strength as a skill’ - and I never bought into it. I had one rep of my triples our of position and that tugged on something the wrong way around left S.I., but just tightened form moving forward.

Having said all of that, I may just move to paused deads exclusively and do some beltless after belted. Am certainly encouraged that beltless deficit was basically on pace with belted conventional.

Anyway, not sure what to do for squats tomorrow as paused LBBS is not making the knee happy. Perhaps I’ll try front squats again and keep the knee travel limited if I can.

I’ve never found them to be awesome, but I think I want to run two accessory movements on my second pulling day; beltless variation and paused deadlifts.

The thing I find them most useful for is practicing leg drive, and pulling the slack out.

The idea that doing a longer range of motion makes the shorter range stronger flies in the face of ‘strength as a skill’ - and I never bought into it. I had one rep of my triples our of position and that tugged on something the wrong way around left S.I., but just tightened form moving forward.

Having said all of that, I may just move to paused deads exclusively and do some beltless after belted. Am certainly encouraged that beltless deficit was basically on pace with belted conventional.

Anyway, not sure what to do for squats tomorrow as paused LBBS is not making the knee happy. Perhaps I’ll try front squats again and keep the knee travel limited if I can.

Cheers for your input. You basically have the same thoughts on them as me. I still think Pause Deadlifts are king, but changing the movement to a new stimulus now and then is needed I feel.

As for your squats, ive always found tempo squats or box squats great when knee pain flares up.

Cheers for your input. You basically have the same thoughts on them as me. I still think Pause Deadlifts are king, but changing the movement to a new stimulus now and then is needed I feel.

As for your squats, ive always found tempo squats or box squats great when knee pain flares up.

Box squats might work.

Do you do them with the super wide stance but still down to parallel - i.e. not a Westside box squat?

Pause deadlifts and RDLs are the best accessory I’ve come across, but programming them takes a lot of fine tuning as well.

Box squats might work.

Do you do them with the super wide stance but still down to parallel - i.e. not a Westside box squat?
I do my box squats with my normal squat width, but try and sit back more leading with the hips and keeping the shins more upright, pause on the box for a second then drive up trying to keep all the tension on my quads. I like to try and get the box to as near competition depth as I can.

Rows; 4x5-150kg.

FSQ; 3-100kg, [email protected].

Imagine I’ll have adapted next week and can mildly bump up by a few reps here and there.

I’ll be looking to bring in BB hypers on Fridays, flatter torso angle for more focus on erectors and less of hamstrings.

Beltless banded maybe? Thoughts?

Beltless banded maybe? Thoughts?
Beltless yes... it helps to limit the weight you can handle so aids recovery.

Banded: no. Personally I have experimented with all types of band set ups, and never found any of them to have any carry over to my main movement. I imagine if you were a geared lifter it help would help to mimic the strength curve of squat suits etc... But personally for raw lifting never found any benefit.

Beltless yes... it helps to limit the weight you can handle so aids recovery.

Banded: no. Personally I have experimented with all types of band set ups, and never found any of them to have any carry over to my main movement. I imagine if you were a geared lifter it help would help to mimic the strength curve of squat suits etc... But personally for raw lifting never found any benefit.

Interesting. One of the underrated benefits I think bands convey is forcing you to maintain bar path.

Beltless just doesn’t do it for me as a variation. It’s like you don’t quite finish the warm ups and that’s it.

Snatch probably has too much variation and not enough load.

Maybe belted paused into beltless paused, or stick with the deficits for a few weeks.

Interesting. One of the underrated benefits I think bands convey is forcing you to maintain bar path.

Beltless just doesn’t do it for me as a variation. It’s like you don’t quite finish the warm ups and that’s it.

Snatch probably has too much variation and not enough load.

Maybe belted paused into beltless paused, or stick with the deficits for a few weeks.

I like Snatch grip deadlifts here and there as I think it helps to teach tightness in the lats, but I would do them after something like a pause deadlift and at higher reps, and is more of a hyper trophy movement

Beltless is a good option if recovery is an issue but belted imo will always make you stronger because you can handle more weight.

I’d stick with the deficits for a bit longer. Although paused is better, a new stress might provide a new stimulus for further gains (accommodation/repeat bout effect). Then when you go back to pause deadlifts then it will be like a new stimulus again. Maybe

@Browner - so what do you reckon I should do on Thursdays? Deficits always leave me feeling DOMS x1000 and I think I’m probably better off just doing heavy singles instead, with paused triples and quads after that. I want 2x deadlift movements for that day. Block pulls have underwhelmed me for a long time.

Thoughts?

@Browner - so what do you reckon I should do on Thursdays? Deficits always leave me feeling DOMS x1000 and I think I’m probably better off just doing heavy singles instead, with paused triples and quads after that. I want 2x deadlift movements for that day. Block pulls have underwhelmed me for a long time.

Thoughts?

A couple of ideas:

I think the DOMs will subside after 2 or 3 weeks of doing them but if if you wanted to ditch them what about singles and pauses as you suggested, but perhaps pause in a position that is different than the way you usually pause. ie if you usually pause 1" of the floor, then pause at the knee. That way you are still getting the benefits of the pause deadlift but changing the stimulus enough to hopefully drive new adaptations.

or maybe to throw something in completely new, the Sheiko 1+ 1/2 x2 deadlift. But that would probably cause more DOMs than the deficits with the added TUT

or dead lift in your opposite stance, ie sumo. Although I have never found any carry over from sumo to my conv, but might be worth a try

A couple of ideas:

I think the DOMs will subside after 2 or 3 weeks of doing them but if if you wanted to ditch them what about singles and pauses as you suggested, but perhaps pause in a position that is different than the way you usually pause. ie if you usually pause 1" of the floor, then pause at the knee. That way you are still getting the benefits of the pause deadlift but changing the stimulus enough to hopefully drive new adaptations.

or maybe to throw something in completely new, the Sheiko 1+ 1/2 x2 deadlift. But that would probably cause more DOMs than the deficits with the added TUT

or dead lift in your opposite stance, ie sumo. Although I have never found any carry over from sumo to my conv, but might be worth a try

What’s the new Sheiko deadlift? The DOMs from deficits for me is always hamstrings - fair point about adaptation.

Have you tried deadlifts from the top?

Not sure I trust walking off the rack with that load and the bad knee. Used to do them a long time ago, big fan on paper.

What’s the new Sheiko deadlift? The DOMs from deficits for me is always hamstrings - fair point about adaptation.

Its basically a full deadlift, then from the top do 2 RDLs then reset.

This guy is doing them Sumo, but you'll get the idea

Its basically a full deadlift, then from the top do 2 RDLs then reset.

This guy is doing them Sumo, but you'll get the idea

Eh, definitely a Russian exercise haha

I’m thinking heavy singles and my paused work. Still not sure if deficits do enough considering my leg drive technique is fine for the moment.

Back