2nd HST cycle!!!

markobenin

Workout #1

Squats: 165lbs - 2x15
Flat Bench: 110lbs - 2x15
BB Row: 75lbs - 2x15
Military Press: 65lbs - 2x15

So I started my 2nd HST cycle today and increased my RMs by about 15lbs. I completed every set today w/o too much difficulty, definitely felt the burn in all 4 exercises towards the end of each set, so I guess that fulfills the goal of the 15s!

Weight: 208lbs - I was surprised to see the scales go up since last time I checked. I don't know if this is fat or muscle...but if the scales are going up then I'm not complaining since I will end up cutting once I reach 230-240ish.

Nice work on the first cycle. Looks like you busted your weight goal by 3 lbs! Are you changing up any exercises this time around?

I actually gained that 3lbs over the 9 day SD I did, so I donno if it's muscle or not
tounge.gif

I'm keeping the same exercises and A/B routine, just upped the weight I'm pushing. So we'll see how this works out for me...

Workout #2

Deadlifts: 165lbs - 2x15
Dips: 8 assist - 2x15
Chins: 9 assist - 2x15
Military Press: 70lbs - 2x15
Press down: 100lbs - 2x10

DL's, dips and military press went fine, however I struggled a bit on the 2nd set of chins, so I just clustered the 2nd set. Overall quick and easy workout. In addition, I decided to add some iso's here and there at the end of every workout for the 15s and 10s just to kinda give my arms some direct work.

Weight: 210lbs - was surprised to see a 2lbs gain in 2 days, if that's the case i'll be 250lbs in no time
tounge.gif

Workout #3

Squat: 185lbs - 1x15
Flat Bench: 120lbs - 2x15
BB Row: 85lbs - 2x15
Military press: 75lbs - 2x15
Incline DB curls: 30lbs - 2x10

I completed every set w/o too much difficulty today. I was gonna do 2 sets on squats but was lazy so just went with the one
tounge.gif

Weight: ~210lbs

I really like your set up Mark! are your militaries seated?

Ya those are seated military presses or shoulder presses or whatever they're called
tounge.gif

Hands are a little wider than shoulder width, and just press the barbell above my head, and then coming down in front of my face and up again.

markobenin, I am not sur ehow to say this with out being offensive, but do you know what your bf % is? Your current 15RM and weight are making me think it might be time for a cut. Either that or you are gifted with very inflated muscle fibers.

Also, how tall are you?

I'm 6'5, 210lbs. Don't know my bf% but probably a little over 10% since I started my bulk, however I can still see my 6 pack and am pretty vascular when I flex, so...I donno what to tell ya!

Btw those aren't my RM's....another 3 workouts and they will be. Plus I thought the idea of HST was to look big, not necessarily lift shitloads of weight as to compete in powerlifting competitions. If I LOOK like I can lift 1000lbs, that's better than if I could actually lift 1000lbs. Either way my 1RM on Deadlift is probably 300lbs, if not more, similarly with squat. Bench is probably 225lbs, really wanna improve my chest so hopefully I can 5rep 225 soon. So I wouldn't say I'm that weak...esp. considering the disadvantage of long limbs at my height.

I'll probably do a cut when I reach 230lbs.

<div>
(markobenin @ Oct. 20 2007,21:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I thought the idea of HST was to look big

So I wouldn't say I'm that weak</div>
agree and agree

Workout #4

Deadlift: 185lbs - 2x15
Dips: 7th assistance plate - 2x15
Chins: 8th assistance plate - 2x15
Military Press: 80lbs - 2x15

Completed everything today with alot of energy and not too much difficulty. I was just gonna do one set on the deads but I felt energetic so I went for the 2nd set. Dips were just fine. Chins I completed the first set with ease, had to cluster the 2nd set 10-5 but no biggy. The military press was done w/ ease. Anyway back to studying for my exams!

At 6'5&quot; , he's got some frame to fill out . Putting on 3 lbs. over the SD doesn't suprise me as we theoretically grow while at rest, if the right conditions are created during 5's , then this would be almost expected - especially during the first week IMHO, I'm sure 1 1/2 lbs. of that may very well have been fat but he IS bulking (rather successfully)and skimming through his first cycle I see he added weight slowly but surely(no crazy &quot;larding out&quot;).

Good work Marco , and good luck with this current cycle!
smile.gif

Thanks a lot RUSS, and I've noticed a little bit of extra fat around my midsection that wasn't there before, but that comes with bulking, and as you said it's nothing too crazy. If I can still see my abs I'm far from the DANGER zone of being fat
tounge.gif

At this point it seems like eating will make or break my 2nd cycle, as it's a workout on its own trying to get in so many calories. I just hope I don't grow anymore height wise as I'm 19 now and probably still have a few more years of growth to go...

Workout #5

Squats: 205lbs - 2x15
Bench: 130lbs - 2x15
BB Row: 95lbs - 2x15
Military Press: 85lbs - 2x15

Did the 1st set of squats no problem, even though it was kind of an aerobic exercise as I start huffin and puffin towards the end of the set. I clustered the 2nd set 10/5 cuz I got a lil worn out, but still impressed myself that I did it for 15 reps, as this was just an approximate by adding 15lbs to the RM from the previous cycle. Did both sets of the bench w/o a problem, hardly pulled off the 15th rep on the 2nd set, but still surprised I completed both sets effectively. Did both sets on the BB Row pretty easily, felt like I could do more weight. Same goes for the military press, completed both sets w/o a problem.

Weight: 211.8lbs - excited to see the 2lbs boost on the scale from last time. 220lbs here i come!

Workout #6

Squats: 205lbs - 2x10
Bench: 135lbs - 3x10
BB Row: 100lbs - 3x10
Military Press: 90lbs - 3x10

I felt kinda crappy today as a result of partying for 4-5 nights straight, so only pulled off 2 sets on squats. The bench, BB row and military press were pretty easy though and I completed all 3 sets w/o a problem.

Weight: 209lbs - probably a result of my past few nights of drinking, bad diet and lack of sleep.

Workout #8

Deadlift: 205lbs - 2x10
Dips: 5th plate assist - 3x10
Chins: 6th plate assist - 3x10
Military Press: 95lbs - 3x10

The deadlifts today felt kinda weak, i don't know why but probably a result of my weekend. Regardless I completed the 2 sets but not with as much ease as I'd expect for the first 10 workout with them. The dips were completed easily. First 2 sets on chins were done fully, had to cluster the 3rd set 6/4. Did the military press sets easily.

Workout #9

Squats: 225lbs - 2x10
Flat Bench: 145lbs - 3x10
BB Row: 105lbs - 3x10
Military Press: 100lbs - 3x10
Incline DB curls: 30s - 2x10

I felt strong on the first half of each set on squats, but towards the end it got pretty tough and I had to take several second breaks b/w reps. I did all 3 sets on the bench w/o any difficulties worth mentioning, same goes for the BB row and military press.

Weight: ~209lbs - I haven't been eating enough lately and that's probably why i've been losing weight and feeling shitty on some exercises in the gym, I'm really gonna do my best from now till the end of this cycle to keep up with my diet.

<div>
(markobenin @ Oct. 20 2007,22:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm 6'5, 210lbs. Don't know my bf% but probably a little over 10% since I started my bulk, however I can still see my 6 pack and am pretty vascular when I flex, so...I donno what to tell ya!

Btw those aren't my RM's....another 3 workouts and they will be. Plus I thought the idea of HST was to look big, not necessarily lift shitloads of weight as to compete in powerlifting competitions. If I LOOK like I can lift 1000lbs, that's better than if I could actually lift 1000lbs. Either way my 1RM on Deadlift is probably 300lbs, if not more, similarly with squat. Bench is probably 225lbs, really wanna improve my chest so hopefully I can 5rep 225 soon. So I wouldn't say I'm that weak...esp. considering the disadvantage of long limbs at my height.

I'll probably do a cut when I reach 230lbs.</div>
Ahhh 6' 5&quot;, now it makes sense...

You are lifting a decent amount of weight, especially since you have such long limbs. Keep physics lessons from Highschool in mind. With long limbs you are not only pushing the weights farther, but it requires more power just as if you were on an uneven seesaw.

Workout #10

Deadlift: 225lbs - 2x10
Dips: BW - 3x10
Chins: 5th assist plate - 3x10
Military press: 105lbs - 3x10
Rope Press down: 110lbs - 2x10

I felt very strong on the deadlifts today, much better than the previous workout where I did DL's. Dips were fine on all 3 sets. Chins were kinda hard towards the end of the 2nd and 3rd set, but that seems to have been the general trend with chins. Completed military press w/o a problem.

Weight: 213lbs - was very surprised to see the scales go up 4lbs in 2 days, not that im complaining on anything, I'm basically back on track where I should be had I not deviated as a result of partying and a poor diet. I'll try and stay true to my diet as strictly as possible for the next few weeks and hopefully reach and surpass my goal of 220lbs.

Back