30 Reps Per Muscle Group Even On Final Workout Of Mesocycles?

hm85

I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere, so apologies if it's already been answered.

In recent years, Bryan has started to recommend 30 reps per muscle group per workout. Is it recommended to maintain this throughout an HST cycle, including on all the max workouts? (For example, during 5s you'd do 6 sets of your 5RM on the final workout?) And what about during negatives - are we talking 30 reps of negatives too?

Just making sure, as nothing is left to speculation/broscience in HST and I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere, so apologies if it's already been answered.

In recent years, Bryan has started to recommend 30 reps per muscle group per workout. Is it recommended to maintain this throughout an HST cycle, including on all the max workouts? (For example, during 5s you'd do 6 sets of your 5RM on the final workout?) And what about during negatives - are we talking 30 reps of negatives too?

Just making sure, as nothing is left to speculation/broscience in HST and I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

@hm85

I assume the 30 rep figure mentioned is based on the Wernbom Meta Review and if memory serves me correct loads used were based on the 8-12 rep range (I could be wrong) and 30 is considered the optimum number of reps.

You will not be able to achieve 30 reps for upper (and 60 reps for lower body) during the 5 reps phase unless you have hours to spare each session and even then it would not be recommended, there are many that believe that there is little or no benefit hypertrophy wise to be doing any more than 2 sets per muscle group

Thanks for the reply, mickc1965. I'd been supersetting during my 5s with opposing muscle groups (for example, overhead barbell press followed by rows) to fit 6 sets in per workout. But yes, the workouts were pretty drawn out.

I dug a bit deeper and found a couple of posts from Bryan addressing this subject:

Help with the progression

He recommends 6 sets of 5s only for advanced lifters, and 3 sets of 5s for anyone below advanced.

In another topic:

if bryan could re-write hst in 2014 what would he change?

He says drop-sets during the lower rep range blocks are recommended, which I assume would be to get more volume without overly taxing the CNS?

Back