_tim's Log

The other thing to try is that grip gel stuff that comes in a tube. Hell, I'd hate to have to train at a gym that didn't allow chalk!
sad.gif

I'll definitely try something. If I could get this whole hook grip thing figured out and working for me, I think quite a few of my grip challenges would be things of the past.

Lol, the gym I work out at has many, many flaws. The no chalk policy, no bumper pads or good bumper plates for heavy dumping purposes, horrid music, etc. BUT - it's the best game in town for now. There's a great power rack, dumbbells up to 165 pounds, decent bars and benches. If I move next year as planned, I may end up joining a more, um, robust establishment for my Olympic and power training fetishes. As in all things, time will tell.

Push @ 95% Day 2

Standing Press: WU: 95 x 8; 115 x 4
2 x 3 @ 135, 7 x 3 @ 130, 2 x 130 - My 95% number was right in between 130 and 135, so I rounded up. Thing is, I think 135 is my RM. So, after my second set I decided to bump down 5 pounds as I really felt I'd never get close to finishing a 10 x 3 at 135. At 130, I did well until the last set. I got the first two reps in, and knew I'd have to cluster the last one. I failed on 2 attempts - I got to just above parallel and stalled. I didn't push press any of the reps - I wanted this to be as strength focused as I possibly could - and in the end, I'm quite happy with the sets.

Bench Press: WU: 135 x 10; 165 x 4
4 x 6 @ 195 - I clustered the last rep out of fear (last set was 5-1). I should have gone for it. Oh well.

Squats: 12 x 2 @ 215 - Those sets were so hard! I got through 'em, but knew that Tabata was not necessary today.

All in all, I think I'm ready for my 100 RM week from a push perspective. We'll see how pull goes tomorrow...

You wouldn't have any fear if you had a spotter for the bench press. I suppose I am just preaching to the choir though.
laugh.gif

Agreed. Same thing goes if I would have been benching in the power rack. But - I wasn't, and I didn't have a spotter, and after that 5th rep I started thinking about that scraped up belly I'd had not so long ago.....

Bingo - I racked the bar, counted to 5, did the rep, and felt stupid for not going for the rep in the first place.

<div>
(_tim @ Mar. 13 2008,11:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Bingo - I racked the bar, counted to 5, did the rep, and felt stupid for not going for the rep in the first place.</div>
Far better to feel stupid than to be stupid and get pinned under the bar...
sad.gif

In retrospect, I completely agree TR.

Pull @ 95% Day 2

BB Rev Grip Row: WU: 115 x 10; 135 x 5; 165 x 3
10 x 3 @ 185 - Felt good - I think this was a great choice for the cycle.

Mixed Grip Chins: WU: BW x 6; BW+5 x 4; BW+10 x 3
4 x 6 @ BW+15 - Last two sets were clustered 4-2 with minimal rest during the cluster. After the last set, I did two static holds, one in each hand position. GREAT pump.

Power Clean: 95 x 5; 115 x 5 - I was quite short on time, and did a fair amount of hang clean work as a form review prior - hence only doing two sets of 5. As luck would have it, I really think I made some inroads today with the power clean. The catch-front squat was anything but awkward today. I'm definitely starting to like what I'm doing here - enough to incorporate them as a more regular part of future cycles.

On to my RM week - 100% comes Monday.

Hey tim, would you mind sending me some specifics about your 10x3. I was planning on doing korte 3x3 while cutting, but reading your log has me thinking about changing. Would you recommend it while cutting? Much thanks, Jeff.

Hey Bax -

I'll send you the specifics. As far as doing it while cutting - I guess it depends on how much of a caloric deficit you're shooting for. I wouldn't recommend doing this routine if you're looking to do a serious cut; I fluctuate just above and just below maintenance most of the cycle - but when I get into the 105%+ range, I'll be taking in at least 10%-15% more calories than maintenance consistently - that comes in week 6. So - you could cut the first 5 weeks or so if you wanted, but honestly this routine suits a slow bulk probably the best.

Tim

Thanks Tim, that would be great. I'm only looking at shedding about 5#. I pretty much keep the same diet I have for bulking, just trim some carbs out on non training days and of course the dreaded cardio 5days a week. Thanks again, Jeff

Tim, I don't use chalk in my gym either; I don't want the mess myself since it's a home gym. The electrician's cloth tape (we call it grip tape) works great if they'll let you wrap a bar with it. But when doing shrugs you'll get two blackened spots on the front of the thighs, so use another bar for those.
Skimming thru your log I see you've made some good strength increases despite low cals - and I notice you tend to cluster a lot of stuff, then move UP in weight before getting the sets in without clusters. How's that working for you, really? I tend to wait until I can get the set in clean before adding weight; I guess your method is just another method, but it seems like you'd hit a wall sooner.

Hey quad -

I found out this week that we're basically only allowed to use certain kinds of tape - on our hands only. The fact that they even restrict the type of tape we use is insane! It's a dictatorship!

The golden rule I use as far as clusters go - if I can't do at least half the sets for the required rep range without clustering, I don't advance the weight. For a couple of the newer lifts I'm doing this cycle, I actually repeat the weights twice before advancing as a built-in. So far, it's worked well; I'm able to see progress for the lifts as the cycle goes on. I'll be honest and say that I'm concerned about hitting a wall as the rest of this cycle goes, but I think I know how I'll combat it, at least as long as I can. For the lifts that I cannot advance, I'll maintain my max weight for the remainder of the cycle - while I advance the other lifts. I'll definitely induce some pretty decent CNS fatigue if that comes to pass, and I absolutely intend on either a nice SD or and extended deload after the cycle ends.

Regardless, yes - I have seen some nice strength gains this cycle.

I see two choices, basically, when you cannot advance. If you do decide to stay at max, your will either burn out sooner, or get stronger and advance again. If you seem to be stuck at your max, you may just want to back up a week in weight and deload with fewer sets, and come up again fresh. It's like taking a running start at a hill.
As for your dictatorship deal, you could just strap your way thru the big numbers and do some static hangs or gripper work on the side. Evrabuddy's happy. I seem to go farther and farther into the weight before strapping in a cycle, so the grip improves even without grip training. It all depends on how many reps I need to do, how many elbees are on the bar. But I will NOT sacrifice an exersize due to grip: that's what my hooks, versagripps, and straps are for...not that I've ever used the straps since I got the versas. No comparison.

<div>
(quadancer @ Mar. 16 2008,13:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But I will NOT sacrifice an exersize due to grip: that's what my hooks, versagripps, and straps are for...not that I've ever used the straps since I got the versas. No comparison.</div>
Which of the several different styles of Versagrips did you get?

How do you use them (their website doesn't explain anything at all)?

How hard are they to work with? Are they really that much better than clunky ol' straps?

They run $40 or $50 with shipping. That's a lot of bread for something I'm not sure how to use.

Meanwhile my power shrugs, standing calf raises, RDLs, and deadlifts are sneaking up into a range where I'm starting to need some sort of straps...

Mine are the classic:
http://www.versagripps.com/cart....at_id=1
They are undisputably far better than straps since you don't spend any time wrapping and adjusting: just reach around with your fingers and pull the large flap to the bar beneath them and roll around into position and pull. Almost fast as hooks.
If there's any problem with them, it's that they grip TOO good; you won't get any grip work with these. Also, they don't seem to wear out. Mine are like new after two years of use or more.
Oh, and they're so tough that it takes a good while to &quot;break them in&quot;...although that is very minimal in effect: the flap just starts to curl a bit making it easier to grab. I suppose you could leave it wrapped around something at night to speed the process.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Mar. 16 2008,18:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Excellent! Thank you.

(Sorry, tim, for kibitzing on your log...
smile.gif
).</div>
I am sure he enjoys the extra banter. The versa grips look intriguing as they seem to be much easier to use than straps!

Okay, I just ordered a pair (it was really a pain in the neck to try to measure my wrists -- I had to get my wife to help...).

Back