_tim's Log

Ha! Not dead quite yet, Alex. Once the load creeps into the 300's, I will be dead - 225 isn't too much of a challenge. The fun is also the 3's - 30 total reps. The overall rep count for this setup is nuts - 30, 24, 24. Quite effective.

Refining my notation to what I've used before: # of sets x # of reps @ load

Squats: 10 x 3 @ 255

Bench: 4 x 6 @ 185

Yates Row: 2 x 12 @ 95 (paused)

It's been an insane week time-wise; I did not anticipate only having 2 days this week to work out. The squats went quite well, despite the fact that this load is 20 pounds off of what my max was for 10 x 3. I kept the overall tempo rather hig across the board, and was very out of breath by the end of the Yates Rows. I paused those reps in the contracted position - great bicep and lat pump as a result, despite the baby blue load used.

Treadmill: 2.01 miles, 18:20
...this includes a break at the 1.35 mile mark; top speed was an 8-minute mile. Near term goal is to get to a full 3 miles in 20 minutes - no breaks. All part of the cardio portion of this ramp up to Mudder.

I also did some hang-grip training and a single set of pullups - not worth logging the effort, though.

That's why I love this layout, NT - it is strength and endurance focused like nothing I have ever done. I have to get in a better cadence though. Not enough work this week.

OHP: 10 x 3 @ 125

Chins: 3 x 6, 3-1-Static Hold-"Bounce" @ BW

Paused Deadlifts: 2 x 12 @ 225

The OHP sets went fairly well; pace was good and overall form was good through all 10 sets. The load was not surprising - as I've said a bunch of times here, OHP is easily my weakest compound and takes me several weeks to get to loads that I think are more appropriate. The chin sets that were complete went very well - I didn't think I'd get through 2, let alone 3 sets. I was pulling to above-clavicle on all reps through those sets. The last set - not quite like that. I got through an RP'd 3-1 and went for another and could not get the full rep. So - I held it there for about an 8-count and then tried twice to get through the rep. No dice. Still - not unhappy with that given my other huge weakness - my biceps. Though I'm heavier than normal at about 215 (205 is more me), I'm not unhappy with the work. The deadlift sets were NT-inspired. I'm still kinda out of breath, about 2 hours later. I used an overhand grip for the first set and mixed for the second. The pause was completely removing pressure from the bar on the floor. Second set was tough to say the least.

Yates Row: 10 x 3 @ 175

Bench: 2 x 12 @ 175 (paused)

Squats: 4 x 6 @ 205

The Yates sets highlights just how much work that my biceps need as the movement is mostly dependent on bicep strength. That said, I kept the load at a place where my form was solid, and the pushed pace was doable without sacrificing the form. The second Bench set was clustered in an RP-way as 8-4; the load itself was a bit of a challenge to me to show just how weak my biceps are. I probably could have put together a solid set had there been a spotter in place. Regardless, I proved the point to myself that work needs to be done. The squat sets were too light; I kept rest times to a minimum (30-45 seconds) but still, I got through the reps way too easily. I switched up the order to give my low back a rest after the Yates sets.

Not sure yet how this week will follow - I'm sorta conflicting myself on the approach for the strength week. I'll have a break through this time next week, so I want to hit things hard enough to need a rest.

1/29/2014

Deads: 10 x 3 @ 305

OHP: 4 x 6 @ 115

Chins: BW x 12, 4

The deadllifts were done with alternated pronated and mixed grip on a set-by-set basis to keep grip strength from being a factor. This was another raw dead performance with the sole assistance coming from chalk, and the whole thing was done with a pushed pace (60-90 seconds between sets). But - my lower back was fairly raw from the Yates work two days prior, and as such, these sets took a toll on me - to the point where I am resting today and through the weekend. The OHP sets were a stretch - I clustered the last set 4-1-1 in an RP fashion. Still, getting 3 of the 4 sets complete without clustering was encouraging even with the baby blue weights in play. The chins... Clusters: 8-3-1 and 3-1. My grip was cooked and no matter what, a full 24 reps were not to be had.

Treadmill: 1.58 miles, 15:00; With cool down, 1.67 miles. Top sustained pace was 7.5 MPH/8:00 mile

Complex (95 lbs, BB):
Hang Clean: 8, 8
Push Press: 8, 8
RDL: 8, 8
BB Rollout: 8, 8

Pullups: BW x 8, 3.5 (static hold at midpoint of concentric motion

The treadmill work was good in that the pace was ever-increasing over the 15:00. I've been lax in the cardio endurance arena of late, and this was a good time to push things a bit. The biggest thing out of the complex - grip fatigue. That's why the pullups were such a fun thing to do afterward; building grip strength and endurance is very important in the grand scheme.

Bench: 10 x 3 @ 215(?)

DB Row: 4 x 6 @ 85

Paused Squats: 2 x 12 @ 205

The question that I had for the bench load was primarily due to the bar. The load felt excessively hard, and I was using what I think may have been a competition bar. I got all reps without clustering, but the rest times involved were longer than I would have liked. I made a switch from Yates Rows to DB Rows after the stress on my low back a couple weeks kinda knocked me on my ass. I had also read an article on the topic here. The squats were breath-stealing demon sets today; the second set was clustered 6-6 for no other reason than lack of breath.

I'm going to try a new pattern to attempt to get on track - I'll alternate weeks between (alternated) 3 strength, 2 run/conditioning sessions and 3 run/conditioning, 2 strength sessions. Hopefully missed days will be at a minimum prior to a late-March mandated break.

Treadmill: 3.35 miles, 37:44 total time
One break at 20:00, but I did not fall below 3.7 MPH. Average speed was 6.5 MPH, top speed was 7.1 MPH, which came after the break in an attempt to push cardio endurance a bit. Goal for this month is to run for a full hour, regardless of distance. Today's target was 40 minutes, but I did not feel like puking today. I got nauseous at about the 35:00 minute mark, and hit the Cool Down button. Had I been outside, I would have puked and been done with it. In the gym though - figured vomit was not a good idea, nor would be terribly appreciated.

Chins: 10 x 3 @ BW + 15; Partials: BW x 5, 3

Paused OHP: 2 x 12 @ 105

Medicine Ball Exchangers: 10 x 6

I checked my BW at workout time and I was an even 217. That said, after the last session of chin triples kinda failed, I bumped the load down 5 pounds and got all 10 sets. The third rep of sets 9 and 10 were a struggle, but they were complete. The partials were controlled from the top of the pull, down halfway and then back up and held at contraction briefly. I did those sets while I set up for the OHP sets. The second set was an RP cluster of 11-1-x, but that was an improvement over the last attempt at 95 pounds. I was very timeboxed today, so the deadlift 6's had to be bounced as both chins and OHP need more work. The medicine ball work was a test of my core, and a clear example that I need to do more to strengthen my core for sure. Regardless - progress is being made, and I love that.

Closer...

Treadmill: WU + Main Run (6.5 MPH/9:00 mile) - 31:00, 3.24 miles; Total Distance - 3.44 miles; Total Time - 34:00

Ok - so endurance is coming along nicely; I wanted to break at 20:00 again, but pushed to 31:00. Also - I ran (no jogging) a full 5K; there was no slowdown at all after the warm up, which lasted 2:00 at speeds of 3.1, 4.1, and 5.2 MPH. I know that this distance and time are far from impressive, but it is one hurdle from a continuous distance perspective that I didn't think I would hit without a break or slowdown for a couple more weeks. So - next target is a 10K for a continuous run at a constant speed.

This likely was the last WO for the week as I look at the schedule. No matter what, I'm happy with the work and the progress.

Treadmill: WU + Main Run (6.7 MPH) - 34:00;
Break - 3.1 MPH - 2:00
Jog - 5.6 MPH - 3:00
Run - 6.7 MPH - 1:00
Total Run Distance (with break & WU): 3.97 Miles; Cool Down - Total Distance: 4.43 Miles

Really wanted to hit 4 Miles in 40:00, but it wasn't to be today. I elevated the pace by .2 MPH for an extended stretch, which truly pushed the envelope for the full 34:00.

Running is coming along nicely, and though I considered removing the lower body strength movements, I think I'll keep things just as they are for now.

Treadmill: 25:00, 2.25 miles
This was a return to running, if nothing else. I was really sick for about a week, and my schedule has been abysmal. So - this was a walk/jog/walk/run/walk thing, just for time.

Squats: 3 x 15 @ 175

Bench: 2 x 6 @ 205; 2 x 6 @ 185

Kroc Rows: 65 x 25

The squats were done "strength endurance" style - right around 30 seconds rest between sets. I was completely and totally out of breath as I started the 3rd set, but pushed through and was able to complete the sets without clustering. Thing was - those three little sets sacked me of all energy, and when coupled with the fact that I hadn't really done any push-based strenght movements in a while, the effect was intense. The second bench set was RP clustered 5-1 and the fourth bench set was RP clustered 4-2. I knew after the first set that getting through all four sets at 205 was highly unlikely without risking injury, especially as I didn't have a squatter. The Kroc sets were done without clustering, and truly showed me just how much the sickness and my running focus took away.

Ok - so the whole change to the 3's slot is going to be made for the posterior chain movements in support of distance running, based on what I've read thus far. I'm going to keep the 6's and 12's in place as is, and do those sets more in concert with a strength cadence. I'm clearly still figuring out the balance between strength and cardio, as I think they are both essential for the race that's definitely on the books and another race that is a strong potential. Each is at least an 8-mile course, so as soon as the weather consistently remains above freezing and the ground is not complete mush, I'll start running outside again with a whole hill component that likely is not going to be fun at all. I think my maximum run distance at the moment would be 5 miles at a slower pace; I feel as though I should double that comfortably prior to race day. So, the cardio component must remain - but I will not concede the strength component in any way whatsoever going forward.

Looks like I've missed a few changes since I've been away. Interesting...

Hope you all have been well. I'll do my best to get you caught up on the happenings and the plan moving forward. Since my last post, I worked out for strength 8 times and ran a bunch with the average distance being around 4 miles. I ran my first Tough Mudder over the past weekend in Mansfield, Ohio which was brutal and lead to a mild sprain in my left knee. That's just about healed, which is good; I'm starting training today for Tough Mudder #2 bearing lessons learned.

The new program will essentially mimic the rep progressions of classic HST: 15-10-5-3. Where this differs is in the total volume per lift; for the 15's I'll do 3 sets, for the 10's I'll do 4 sets, for the 5's, I'll to 5 sets and for the 3's I'll do 6 sets. Nearly every lift will be a compound, and the only iso's in play will be to help along a lagging muscle group. The next Mudder is in September, so I have some time to really hash this out in a fun little periodized macrocycle. I'm not sure how rest/SD will play into the plan - I'm going to listen to my CNS for the cue to slow down or stop (with my preference to be to slow down a-la WS4SB/WS/DG/Wendler/etc.). I'm planning a steady progression of loads, no matter what. And, as a side project in this little setup will be to master the muscle-up from a dead hang. So - vertical pulling and pressing movements will get some noticeable work over the next 17-ish weeks.

All the above will be balanced by running and outdoor conditioning.

So - Mudder 2 training is up and going. First session begins in about 90 minutes.

Hey Tim, all the best with your new training program. Hope you get that knee healed up soon and stay injury free.
Is the Tough Mudder a triathlon of sorts? I think I've heard about it. My bro did his first sprint triathlon last weekend in a time of 1hr 11mins. I could never do such a thing. Way out of my comfort zone.

Thanks Lol! So far, the knee is feeling a ton better than it was the day after the event. The Tough Mudder is an obstacle-filled mud run; mine was 10.25 miles with 25 obstacles. The overall effort just to finish the thing was rather intense. So - knowing that, I'm preparing vastly differently this time. I'm with you on the sprint triathlon front; that's not my cup of tea in the least.

Ok - so I got the first session in the books....

Bench: 155 x 15, 15, 15
Last set was clustered 9-3-3; the clusters themselves were RP-based.

Cable Row: 125 x 15, 15, 15

Dips: BW x 15, 12+5 half reps, 4 partials

I had very little rest between sets as I was sharing the dip bar; I got a bit creative.

PG Pulldowns: 110 x 15, 15, 8
Second set was clustered 11-4, and the 3rd set was clustered 5-3. Too heavy for the first go.

Medicine Ball Exchangers: 10 x 6, 3
|
Plank: 30 seconds, 15 seconds

Core was not happy with the first test of it in a while.

So - first one done.

Today would have been a run day. Thing is, my knees are not yet healed from the weekend to take even a mile's worth of impact - and I haven't yet replaced my running shoes. I also was a tad light on time, so I did one of my favorite workouts that I do when I travel. It's tweakable in a bunch of ways, and if you keep rest times low between sets (of complexes), it is challenging.

Air Squat: 10, 10, 10
|
Pushup-to-Plank: 10, 10, 10
|
Burpee: 10, 10, 10
|
Mountain Climbers: 10, 10, 10
|
Rollout: 5, 5, 5

So - the way to read the above more concisely is Complex: 3. Average rest time was about 60 seconds.

Back