A HSN Omega 3 Product in the Works??

Camelia

Being a Zone diet devotee, one of my mainstain supplements is plenty of fish oil. However, in the country I live in, we have no access to good quality (either mollecularly distilled or pharmaceutical grade) Omega 3 oils.

I was wondering Bryan if there was an Omega 3 product planned to join the HSN supplement line. Just curious as I would like to support your company if I can.

I realise you probably have 1,000,000 other projects on at the moment, though I was just curious. Thanks.

Hi Camelia,

Thank you so much for wanting to support HSN. I definitely do have a fatty acid product in the works. Fatty acids fall well within the scope of HSN’s view on supplementation. I hope to be able to introduce a product that is of the highest quality and purity, and at the same time, perhaps be able to improve the effectiveness of fatty acids so that less can be used and still get the same results.

Thanks for that Bryan.

It seems Sears and Omegabrite have the monopoly on high grade fish oils at the moment, and I look forward to switching to a HSN product.

I second this!!

Been looking for a high grade fish oil supp for quite sometime and i am puzzled as to why so few manufacturers have caught onto the benefits of fish oils....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spencer @ Jan. 01 2003,2:19)]...i am puzzled as to why so few manufacturers have caught onto the benefits of fish oils....
It's all about profits. Because fish oil isn't "new" and because you can't try to patent it, or claim to be the only company selling it, small companies won't sell it.

This is something that people should understand about supplement companies. You see, small companies can't compete with the big guys by selling "nutritional" supplements like vitamins, minerals, protein, creatine, or fatty acids. That's because they are so widely available. Only the huge companies that you see in all the grocery stores and everywhere else can sell a high enough volume to make the profits they want.

Smaller companies (with the acception of HSN) will always focus on selling what are called "exotic" supplements. These are products with "made up" drug-like names and extreme claims about effectiveness. The company will also claim to be the only company who sells it.

Because exotic supplements have not been tested, and likely never will be, they can charge outrageous prices for them, and reap huge profits. In fact, most supplement companies don't want tests performed on these exotic products...because they would fail the tests and they would be cought in a lie. That may sound a bit harsh on my part but for the most part its true.

Here are the reasons why HSN won't sell "exotic" supplements. 1) They have not been shown to be effective by independant researchers in peer reviewed journals. 2) HSN won't sell products that don't work. 3) I, being the formulator of all HSN products, refuse to sell anything that I wouldn't personally use.

I hope this doesn't sound like a rant...it's just the facts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spencer @ Jan. 01 2003,4:19)]I i am puzzled as to why so few manufacturers have caught onto the benefits of fish oils....
Just to add to what Bryan has written, Sears author of the Zone commented that when fish oil supplements were released in the 1980's, they tasted just as bad as the existing cod liver oil products and therefore consumers largely rejected using them. Encapsulation greatly remedied this problem, but the amount of capsules people had to take to gain the same serving as a tablespoon of cod liver oil further put off people because of the gastric problems so many experienced with these products.

Sears also explains that the birth of the low fat-high carb 'revolution' in the 1980s was another nail in the coffin to the benefits of fish oil supplements with many people scared to add the extra unwanted evil fat to their diets.

Fish oil is one of the few products I have noticed anything from taking it, and is the foundation of my supplement and nutrition program.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Jan. 01 2003,12:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spencer @ Jan. 01 2003,2:19)]...i am puzzled as to why so few manufacturers have caught onto the benefits of fish oils....
It's all about profits. Because fish oil isn't "new" and because you can't try to patent it, or claim to be the only company selling it, small companies won't sell it.
Following the thought on fish oil, it not being new, and can't patent it, and using/supporting/producing only products that work, I have a question about another supplement that is out of style, but used widely years ago.
I have read alot about going back to the basics, and a supplement that kept coming up, and looks like a worthwhile product to invest in, is Desicatted Liver tablets.
Bryan, what are your thoughts on this supplement, and any plans on producing it through HSN? It looks like it would fit in with the HSN line very nicely, and from what I have seen, basically only 2 other companies make & sell this, I won't mention their names so you won't have to edit my post, lol.

Thanks,
StoneSour.
thumbs-up.gif

Back