Add very little fat during bulking

jwbond

Obviously, when bulking we are all looking to put on the most amount of lbm with the least amount of fat. I am finishing my cutting cycle this week (est. down to about 10-12% bodyfat, middle of my abs are starting to peek through). I will be starting my bulking cycle after 7 days of SD.

Can we start a list of tips to minimize fat gain when bulking?

umm... don't eat too much? Do cardio? Fish oil?

And if you are going to SD, do it longer than 7 days. I like doing 14.

Not exactly what I was looking for...I was hoping for some more specific help

ie
-how many cals to eat above maintance (maybe try 500 and go from there, or is that too much?)

-% of carbs

-etc.

would anyone else like to chime in without oversimplyfying it. I am simply looking for tips to try, not anything set in stone to live by...

500 over maintenance.......Eating for Size is the place to start. Just do calipers once a week and if calorie adjustments need to be lowered just up your cardio before you start lowering calories. Once cardio is maxed then reduce Fat/Carbs. Make sure carbs are around 50% and try and time them around your workouts; good luck.

dude, don't ask questions like this and then bitch about the answers you get. If you would take the time to read the FAQ it will answer any question you have about a proper bulk. Maybe you should do a little research for yourself, instead of asking questions like this which only frustrate people who have taken the time to figure things out for themselves.

wow that's the most hostility I have seen on these forums yet.

Didn't mean to sound like I was bitching, I was simply trying to rephrase my question letting everyone know that it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

I have read the FAQs and found them very useful, but I was looking for some additional tips to try, as the FAQs have a lot of good info, but they don't have EVEYRTHING and that's what the boards are for.

baby a, didn't mean to offend you but if you are going to get that upset over someone asking a question on a forum meant for questions then you may want to rethink your outlook on life my friend, good luck with it...

zoomz, thanks for the input, its appreciated!

If you want a slow bulk with little fat gain, I would shoot for 250-500 over maintenance, adjusting as zoomz suggesting based on how you gain over time. To gain without much fat, you have to take it slow, so think in the long term. Keep track of your weight change over the course of several weeks to see how you are progressing.

Although i find it hard to do, i'd say slow, consistant and dedicated attention to your diet/working out would be key.

I tend to go for the extremes, it's either a cut or bulk. And i tend to go low for cutting, and high for bulking. Guess i havn't learned the patience yet for this game ... but i still get results. Just not as ... optimal ... as they could be. Eventually i'll get into a set schedule and do everything exactly right.

I prefer about 300 over maintenance. The key is to determine what your maintenance is as it will change dpending on frequency and volume of your workouts.

ill shoot for 300-400 over maintenance. I think I have a pretty good idea of what my maintenance is, as I eat very similar foods from day to day and the same amounts.

I noticed my maintenance went up when I switched from 3x a week to 6x, so I will have to adjust appropriately for that. I started SD yesterday, which I will do for 10 days. I'm looking forward to eating more again and looking fuller. Thanks for all the info guys, it's appreciated!

Adding to what has already been posted. It really varies between individuals. I tried a 250 over maint cycle and got 0 gains. Didn't make any new RM's on any of my exercises. This comes after 8 straight cycles of continuous gains.

Went back to 500 over maint and the gains are back. So, for some of us, a slow bulk does not work and have to resign ourselves to the 2 steps forward one step back bulk/cut cycles to make any worthwhile gains over time.

Back