adpowah's training logs

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by adpowah, May 12, 2014.

1. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

430 was the best pull there, obviously.

I would definitely keep your RDL's happening. Potentially I wouldn't hate a slightly lower starting position for your hips, but as quads get stronger that will happen anyway and the shins will straighten out a bit more.

Looking good.

Instead of myo-reps, I would do the Alex Hormozi program. High volume, low load, very high reps. Just my thoughts.

2. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

Mini update, I hit 435 on Friday, again on Sunday and once more for good measure Monday. Will tackle 440 this Friday.

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

What's your DL programming atm?

4. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

Same as last time (pretty much). PR Friday, repeat on Sunday (optional) and Monday, go up 5lbs next Friday. Then for volume I do RDLs in an HST format (not sure I will get to 5s with it unless my recovery is really on point). For the rest of my body I do HST for the 15s but then I am going to do myo reps for the weeks 3-8 (which would have corresponded to the 10s, 5s and 2s) because I don't feel like my body is responding well to both the intensity of the regular deadlifts and the increasing intensity on the other lifts but volume seems to be a non-issue so I am keeping that higher.

Last cycle I added 25lbs, I am going to attempt to do the same this cycle and end in the 450+ range.

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'd suggest having 7/8RM as your upper limit on RDL's - recovery being one consideration, but the primary one being injury risk. Lower back and hamstrings etc. 15, 11, 7 etc. or 18, 12, 8 etc. Something like that. No need to stick to humanity's strange obsession with multiples of 5.

6. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

Yeah I've just been cranking up the reps and its been good lots of hamstring and psoas stimulus. Right now I just do 185x3x15, I'll prolly go to 205 in the near future.

7. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

8. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

9. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

Hit a bit of a roadblock. I worked up to 450 and failed twice on Wednesday which would have been a 3rd PR in about a week which was unwise but I went for it anyways. Anyways on 445 I had strained my neck a little, it healed up but Wednesday but I felt like something was off. I just couldn't get the explosiveness I had wanted. Anyways work had been a little stressful too and I think I just overreached. So at this point I went light and got some extra sleep.

I am feeling back in the game but I am going to work back to my next PR over the next two weeks. Also I started my warmup a little different. I am going to pull one set of light high rep RDLs before I work up to my heavy singles. I am hoping the extra stimulation will help me engage my hammies during my max effort. We will see how that goes. Anyways weight remains in the 195-197 range. Back to work.

10. mickc1965

mickc1965 Well-Known Member

Are you still using HRV as your guide for max loads?

11. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

@mickc1965 No I slacked off on that. I will get back to it soon but I want to draw up a new lifting schedule where I can include that and sleep.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  12. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

The lack of explosiveness is due to a need for recovery - you're not overtrained, you just need slightly more rest before trying again.

pphuang likes this.
  13. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

@Jester agreed, I deloaded a bit this week and I start my ascent again. Will attempt 450 likely in about a week in a half assuming everything goes well. Then I will attempt to continue into the 460 range. Rest and repeat until I hit that 500.

14. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

You just do a work up to max single then no back off sets for DL days, yes?

15. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

@Jester Yeah I am not doing any rep work for actual Deadlifts (all singles for anything over 315). I do all of my volume on RDLs and I am keeping that all high rep, lighter load. Most I have gone up to is 225x15, not sure I will go over 225, probably just increase the number of sets.

16. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

Feeling good, had a few friends join up yesterday so we messed around and maxed on DL and Bench. I ended up pulling 440 and it went pretty easy. I had needed some recuperation time but now I am feeling good again. I will work on getting my volume back in today and Wednesday, then probably go for 450 Friday assuming everything is on point.

I also recently hit a mobility breakthrough, I had an issue with one of my shoulder blades that would cause me some minor discomfort on bench. I was working on my back last night and was able to get it released. It was a bit weird I had a lacrosse ball up in there and I just left it there for a few mins while I watched TV. The area kind of made a soft clunk sound a few times and then it relaxed. It was pretty awesome. Its tender today but the tightness is definitely relieved. I am going to baby it for a little while and strengthen it up but it was really a great breakthrough.

17. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

450 went well enough, will attempt 455 next week.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Lol likes this.
  18. mickc1965

@adpowah, great lifting I would go for 460, is there any particular reason you didn't deadlift in just socks this time?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  19. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

@mickc1965 thanks man. I am just incrementing up 5lbs at a time and taking it slow. I usually feel like I keep 10lbs+ in the tank so I am sure 460 is in the cards but I'm trying to keep it steady. Also regarding the socks, I am it is just the way the camera was setup.

20. mickc1965

I can see that now, think me needs to go to an opticians :oops: