Anavation Training Log

Anavation05

Hello Everyone!

First of all, I want to introduce myself to you all. I am an undergraduate at the University of Findlay (Ohio) and going into my junior year this fall. I am majoring in Strength and Conditioning and have been constantly learning in this field long before I began college. I have taken a keen interest in HST above nearly every single training program I've ever employed or used simply based on the ridiculous scientific foundation that lays at the base of this philosophy. I've read the entire HST FAQ E-book, and the entire Pimp My HST E-book along with probably every single thread in this entire forum (including Max-Stime E-book,)and decided to simply join so I can contribute to the knowledgable members of this forum.

After I receive my bachelor's in S&C, I plan on attending the Eastern Tennessee State University to get my master's in exercise physiology and my PhD in Sports Performance and Physiology. This would mean that I would be able to expand upon all of the research that has already taken place on HST and for my dissertation hopefully refine the methods to maximize hypertrophy even more than has already been done by wonderful people like Bryan.

I could ramble on and on here but I decided that once my junior year starts to dedicate all of my time to the advancement of one of two areas that I have a keen interest in. Crossfit or HST. I've been leaning toward HST more as of recently and haven't come to a conclusion yet however later today I am testing my 15 RM for my routine that I will employ. I figured the cycle is going to like like this

8 Week HST Cycle - 15's, 10's, 5's, 5RM

Routine A:
Squat
Bench
Row
Press (Standing Overhead)

Routine B:
Dead
Dip
Chin
Press (Standing Overhead)

Volume - I know this may seem ironic on a Core routine like this but I only plan on using one to two sets throughout the cycle to serve as a base of progress that I can measure future cycles from. I don't plan on doing just one HST cycle, but rather a lifetime of them. I don't mind making slightly subpar gains for the first cycle but I feel that this may be all of the volume I will need as I have already established a great mind-muscle connection and can bring extreme intensity to this core movements especially when the weights get heavy. My form has become nearly perfected on every lift listed here (squats break parallel, deads don't surrender lumbar curve, pendlay rows start at horizontal etc.) Overall for the volume the main reason I want to start at such low amounts is because I want this cycle to be as plain as can be and serve as a progress baseline for future cycles. Based on previous training exeperience and similar routines I know I can handle more than this, but I guess it's just a psychological thing to start so low (maybe someone can convince me to change my mind?)

Well I think that's enough for my first post, I look forward to hearing from all of you and possibly advancing the research of HST and it's methods in a clinical setting with access to more studies than most people can dream to have available

By the way I also check this forum on a daily basis so any additional queries will be answered within a short amount of time.

Almost Forgot...Anavation = Anabolic Activation (I made this word up years ago since I've always followed bodybuilding and wanted to create my own program for training/nutrition/supps but HST blew whatever I could have come up with out of the water) maybe I'll come up with some additional conclusions after grad school so I can finally coin that term :cool:

Firstly... Welcome, Anavation. I think it's a noble undertaking to try and further Bryan's (et all) research. Regardless, more research can never hurt.

To your comment about volume. If 1-2 sets across (considering load) induces enough stress in your body to procure hypertrophy, so be it. If you are at all experienced with these rep targets, you may prove to yourself that this volume is not sufficient, even if this first cycle is meant to do nothing more than serve as a starting point for future work.

Thanks for the reply Tim,

I agree about the volume issue, in all honesty I am probably going to simply to adhere to the increase volume if, maintain if, and decrease if recommendations everyone on this board is familar with in the e-book since we all do respond differently to the minimum effective volume. Getting ready to head to the gym to get the numbers though so I'll be back with them for you guys soon.

I also want to let everyone know about my diet that I'll be employing and I'll of course have before after pics, measurements, daily macronutrient intake, alongside the max weights.

I think you'll see dedication like never before evident in my quest for muscular hypertrophy :cool:

You seem to have good track on things, long term progress and goals are almost the most important imo since most guys aren't that consistent. Even if you don't look big now you'll take a huge **** on everyone you know in 5-10 years from now.

Haha thanks fredh I certainly have no doubt that HST is the most efficacious means to getting there and since I'm only 20 time is on my side.

LDU - I appreciate the kind words and I will most definitely be checking out your log after finishing up some more reading on this forum glad to see you have some stats to show for your cycles as well only adds to the credibility of HST as a whole and what better things to hear that you had great gains in both areas! Perfect way to end the night...:)

Don't worry I haven't forgot to keep the updates coming! I'm simply having a tough time deciding between whether or not to pursue HST or Crossfit, its been a long and hard day just thinking about the ups and downs for both and combining them isn't really an option...Fortunately I got my 15 RM's regardless but it'd probably help if i decide before tomorrow's 10's come around and sneak up on me...Sorry for the lack of information to everyone that is following this log

What is CrossFit? It's simple, make a decision based on your goals. How bad do you want it bro? The satisfaction of being a huge musclehead must be incredible, i've comed to believe.

Haha that's a true statement, and all my life I've been considering the pursuit of such a physique, but now that the time comes down to it I'm having second thoughts. I've always been intrigued by bodybuilding but also great performance feats as well. Crossfit is about maximizing fitness through traing for as broad a stimulus as possible maximizing the 10 areas of "fitness" which they determined to be strength, stamina, cardiorespiratory endurance, power, speed, etc. and becoming a master at none (i.e. jack of all trades) Constantly Vaired, High Intensity, Functional Movements is their perscription and the means are running jumping biking sprinting weightlifting olympic lfits kettlebells gymnastics etc. and as you can tell training for hypertrophy would obviously not maximize all of these attributes...decisions, decisions...:confused:

CrossFit seems pretty unmanly. If you want to gain skills in various fields, become a spec ops or something for christ sake. Guys practising CrossFit just want an excuse for being classified as athletes. Same with bodybuilding. Learn to live with it son, you're only an athlete if you have an athletic skill, being aesthetically gifted is not one of them. Either become huge and get plenty of ass or become a spec ops and force females to providing ass.

OK - don't mean to hijack here, so apologies Anavation.

Fredh - I think you're starting to get into some very bad habits very early on here in the forum. This isn't BB.com, and many folks who post here do so because it's as much a support community as anything else. You comment about Crossfit is nothing short of immature and ridiculous. You are judging a form of exercise that actually is one of the most effective strength and conditioning methodologies being used today - quiet a few folks here use Crossfit very successfully, and have hit new PRs in strength lifts because of it. Before speaking your mind about things you know nothing about, please have the decency to research these topics, and when you comment, do so in a constructive fashion. To reiterate - this is not BB.com.

I heritate from MD, i don't hang over at BB.com. This forum is great for gaining scientific knowledge. At least i comment, most guys just view the threads and don't leave feedback. Some journals here have 1000+ views and 50 comments. By commenting i atleast contribute to Anavations journey. That is not an bad habit. I came across 1 journal beside mine that had pics in it, and as stated before, most journals gets viewed but not commented. That's bad habits for you, son.

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate the fact that you're getting involved with my thread even though I haven't even started the training cycle yet.

fredh - I really do feel strongly about Crossfit being what I consider the best S&C program for GPP ive ever come across and their goals are very clear, unique and the program does exactly what it's set out to do. I followed the Main Site WOD regimen (scaled of course) for a little over a month and it was hands down the toughest thing training I've ever participated in, and I've played football, hockey, track, done full body workouts 3x/week, jumpstretch - you get the point. As a born-again Christian, I'm not into the whole chasing after girls and putting myself on a pedistal lifestyle, I simply love to train and track my progress, but I really do appreciate your participation and conntribution to my log, I just hope it's more constructive the demeaning like your previous comment and I still hope you decide to follow my log on here even though I may be doing HST for different reasons than you.

That being said yesterday I talked this over with a good friend of mine and I'm leaning evern more toward the HST route so I'm going to come back today with my 10 RM's.

Here are my 15RM's just for the record

Squat - 135 (clearly breaks parallel plane)
Bench - 105 (bar at nipple level)
Dead - 185 (pulled from dead stop - no touch n'go, back reset every rep)
Press - 60 (same form as Rippetoe's SS employs)
Row - 95 (pendlay rows with horizontal back parallel to ground)
Chin / Dip - Band Assistance (Only do 3 strict form pull-ups, 5 chin-ups and 4 dips where elbows are above rear delt level)

Every rep had a controlled descent and explosive concentric portion and was completed to perform it's duty in the 15's - burn! Although my squats are lower than they've ever been I didn't do too many back squats these past 6 weeks with crossfit more air squats for endurance box jumps, overhead squats etc. so that's probably the reason

Once again I can ASSURE every that as long as i pursue HST I will post my diet, supps, measurements AND pics so we can have one of the most credible and informative logs available on this forum. Just for info pertaining to the lifts I'm 5'11" 170 lbs at about 9-10% BF

Sorry for the spelling errors, my contacts still aren't in :eek:

I wasn't serious in that post regarding CrossFit and training for girls attention. Only a weak and pathetic human would train for such a bad reason. You have good intentions and like you i train because it's so darn fun and improving is always a great tool of satisfaction. One day i'll be a hardcore pro bodybuilder. You're a true Iron Warrior and i wish you success.

.I'm glad to hear that! Thanks for the kind words and hopefully I'll be back this evening with some good numbers for the 10RM's, can't wait to hit that iron!

I also want to let eveyone know that I have been a victim to all of the supplement hype for I'd say about 5 consistent years and I've tried a large majority of non-hormonal products leading up to this point but the only products I'd recommend to anyone right now are the pre-workout supplement AEN Pre-Surge Unleashed, Intra-Workout Supplement Intrabolic, and daily Beta Alanine/antioxidant supplement IntraXCell. Outside of that stack the only product that could get me mentally zoned for a workout is USPLabs Jack3d. I honestly don't know if I can say Pre-Surge Unleashed or Jack3d is superior in the mental prep department but based on the ingredient profile I would have to recommend Pre-Surge Unleashed (it's relatively new if you haven't heard of it).

Pre-Surge Unleashed Link
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ae/pre-surge-unleashed.html

Intrabolic Link
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ae/intrabolic.html

IntraXCell Link
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ae/intra.html

Jack3d Link
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/usp/jacked.html

Just as an FYI Jack3d is THE #1 Selling Supp on BB.com and I'd probably say anywhere in any supp store right now, just on bb.com alone theres 1800 reviews with an average 9/10 rating, most products hardly reach the 100 review mark!

I would love to try some Jack3d, it seems to be a potent fat burner aswell. Too bad it can't be found in Sweden. Can't you give a rundown on other supplement categories other then pre-workout? Would be nice too get an unbiased opinion on what's worth buying by someone whom was a victim for supplement hype. Or did you just get hyped on pre-workout supplements?

Oh yeah, I would definitely advise that you find some way to get a hold of it, I just can't describe the clarity and intensity it gives you (definitely not placebo effect, goes welllll beyond your training session) but I can give you a rundown of all the supplements I've taken, if your unfamilar with any of them just check out bodybuilding.com and type the name into the search box for more information. Here goes:

Staples: Creatine Monohydrate, Beta Alanine, Multivitamins (Animal Pak, Activite, GNC Mega Men), Fish Oil,
Protein Powders (Optimum Nutrition, EAS, Syntha 6, Designer Whey, GNC 100% Whey, Nitro-Tech, Muscle Milk etc.),
Weight Gainers (Up Your Mass, Serious Mass, N-Large 2, Muscle Juice 2544 etc.)

Nitric Oxide / Creatine:
Blitz Cycle, Blast Cycle, Mass Cycle, Ester-Bol, Xplo-Bol from Fizogen,
NO-Xplode, Volumaize, CellMass, Nitrix from BSN,
Plasmajet, Superpump250, SizeOn from Gaspari Nutrition,
Nano Vapor, Thermo-Gain, Cell-Tech (all samples from Muscletech)
Pre-Surge Unleashed, Intrabolic, IntraXCell from Athletic Edge Nutrition
Body Octane, Clout from MAN sports
LeuceMine, Creagen from Myotrend Nutritional Technologies
Jack3d from USP Labs
Myozene from Bioquest
Xtend from Scivation

Other Products:
Hyperdrol X2, Mass FX, Trisorbagen from Anabolic Xtreme (Test Boosters)
Anabolic Pump from USPLabs (Glut 4 receptor activator)
X-Factor from Molecular Nutrition (Inflammatory fatty acid (arachidonic acid) amplifying the effects of resistance training)

I'm sure there's more but honestly that's just what I can remember right now, almost everything except for the Muscletech products were taken for at least 1 month cycles or more and my nutrition has always been a fairly solid regimen for either maintaining or gaining weight, almost never dropping weight except for when I had to cut to make college track team for the 60m/200m races.

Only products I would recommend to anyone are Man Body Octane and Clout, Jacked from USP labs, Xtend by Scivation, and the AEN products, of course if you need protein ON 100% Whey is the worlds favorite and definitely cheap/tasty. These recommendations are based off of ingredient profiles and doing a LOT of additional research into studies that actually have studies supporting their claims, Myozene has a double blind placebo controlled study and I would recommend it but its a postworkout product at over 3.00 a serving! If you have the money I'm sure its very well spent on these products for the following reasons

Creatine monohydrate
Beta Alanine
Essential / BCAA's
Caffeine
Citruline Malate

All of the products I recommend may have some additional ingredients in them that may or may not be beneficial but if you want products that have time tested, science backed research and couldnt afford anything else, I'd buy these bulk ingredients and itss doubtful you'd ever need anything more (assuming that your staying natural) Great book that everyone should read is William Llewellyn's Sport Supplement Reference Guide. It lists all of these studies as references and categorizes supps based on clinical and empirical evidence of efficacy. Plus you can google scholar them to read the actual studies themselves!

Hope this helps, it took me a good 20-30 mins just for this post!

That's a ****load of supplements! Out of those i've tried Scivation Xtend and ON 100% Whey. I'm currently using ON 100% but when i run out i'm thinking about swithing to Gaspari MyoFusion. I'll make sure to get some more Xtend, it tastes godly and i enjoy drinking my aminos rather then swallowing them.

I'll make sure to get that book, thanks for the tip.

Haha yeah Xtend is definitely one of the best BCAA/Glut/Citrulline supps on the market priced good too. But like I said I was a victim to the ads and hype prior to deciding what I wanted to do/where I wanted to go with my life and actually delving into the research to sort out the hype from the science. You can purchase that book on bb.com as well for around 25 bucks

Just got back from the gym and found my 10 rep maxes

Squat -175
Bench -135
Dead - 225
Press - 75
Row - 115
Chin / Dip - Assistance bands I have yet to order

Friday is the big 5RM day so I'll be excited to see where I am for that - Deads after squats are just brutal on the posterior chain!

Also took my pre-surge unleashed prior to this max test unlike monday's 15RM's and could tell a WORLD of difference. It's like there's no other world but me and the iron when that stuff is in my system and I only took 1.5 scoops out of the max dosage of 3 - powerful stuff! I might even back off a bit next workout I got a bit lightheaded during stretching which is unusual but happened before when I took a little over 1.5 scoops a week or so ago.

Good work on leaning towards HST.

The Jack3d is a great supp, im using Vasocharge by scivation and i must say that rates amongst the best ive used. Other than that i just use BCAA caps, creatine and a multi.

Good luck with your 5RM's.

Back