And old, new approach to HST

You never know until you try something.

We all love HST and swear by it.

Many people over at T-nation have tried it as well as bodybuilding.com and they hate it.

So you never know!

<div>
(quadancer @ Feb. 26 2007,10:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">P.S. - I could give you my leftover Tribex crap. If Trib worked, wouldn't it be most noticable on us guys with lower hormones?</div>
It made me hornier than a two-peckered billy goat.

I read here and there that it does raise libido in some; my real reason for trying it 3x, but it doesn't work on me. Raised libido doesn't mean your test came up: those tested showed no improvement.
Joe, you're right about that man! And as you know, most of the folks on here are pretty intelligent; it takes a mental shift to accept the ease of HST after failure training, so therefore I shall deduce that the aficondo's here are a different breed than the obstinate and clueless masses elsewhere!

Bump for anyone who has been doing this beside myself.
biggrin.gif

Comments suggestions?

I have one simple question:

I want to embark on this variation,but don't want to do both deadsand squats each time, say I want to do deads once p/week, which variable doI use 15, 10 or 5's, or should I just start withy say 10's and push through then start doing 5's say after week 6.

What is the overall opinion.

By the way...welcome back Steve Mc, haven't herad from you in avery long while.
wink.gif

After close to 5 yrs of doing the standard progression of HST, I'm ready to try this out.

I plan to do :

Monday - 15's
Wednesday - 10's
Friday - 5's

This works best with my energy levels. For some reason, Mondays always seem to be my biggest struggle and as the week goes on my body wakes up.

I'm thinking of continuing to do what I have been set-wise - 1 set of 15's, 2 sets of 10's and 3 sets of 5's.

Anybody else give this type of training a shot and if so, how did it go? I'm thinking varying the reps during the week will give my body some new stimulation. For years my reps have only changed every two weeks.

I realize that at the end of week 6, I will be training at my maxes for all 3 rep ranges. I think I can handle it since in my normal HST cycles, I train at my 5 rep max, at least 5 workouts a week for 4 or more weeks.

What do you think?

Thanks

Firm

And there I was thinking I had invented it..

Well, a year ago I tried my first HST cycle, and I got great results, however, I trashed my right shoulder.  It happened during the 5's.  I think at my age (44), it was too much weight, too frequently that did it.

Anyways, I have tried a few variations of HST that gave me more rest time between workouts, but they haven't worked as well, and, &quot;weirdly&quot;, my shoulder would tend to hurt more than when I was doing it 3x per week.  

So I went to 2.5 times per week, and sure enough, into the 5's, I started feeling the pain.

So either I accept doing light weights 3x per week forever, or I came up, independently, with this idea.  

My thinking is this, my shoulders like to be &quot;used&quot; 3x per week, keeps them limber and &quot;greased&quot;, perhaps, they just dont like the 3x loading of the 5's.  So I decided to do:

&quot;M&quot;: 12's
&quot;W&quot;: 8's
&quot;F&quot;: 5's

I put the days in quotes, since I often start my &quot;week&quot; on a day other than monday, but the spacing remains the same.

With the hopes that I can keep at least one day per week of fairly heavy loading.    I have only done this for one week though, so I can't say if its working.  I just did the 5's this morning, and I'll know by the next workout (Saturday) how the shoulders are holding up.

<div>
(Firminator @ May 26 2007,10:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">After close to 5 yrs of doing the standard progression of HST, I'm ready to try this out.

I plan to do :

Monday - 15's
Wednesday - 10's
Friday - 5's

This works best with my energy levels. For some reason, Mondays always seem to be my biggest struggle and as the week goes on my body wakes up.

I'm thinking of continuing to do what I have been set-wise - 1 set of 15's, 2 sets of 10's and 3 sets of 5's.

Anybody else give this type of training a shot and if so, how did it go? I'm thinking varying the reps during the week will give my body some new stimulation. For years my reps have only changed every two weeks.

I realize that at the end of week 6, I will be training at my maxes for all 3 rep ranges. I think I can handle it since in my normal HST cycles, I train at my 5 rep max, at least 5 workouts a week for 4 or more weeks.

What do you think?

Thanks

Firm</div>
After 3 weeks of this training - I had to stop. I have a chronic problem with my left elbow and by the end of my 5's it is usually what makes me end my cycles.

Using this method - 15's on Monday, 10's on Wednesday and 5's on Friday - my elbow troubles flared up immediately to the point where I hated to go to the gym. Apparently I need the higher rep stuff for a few weeks before I go heavy - must be an age thing  
mad.gif

So I am going to 15's and will stay there until my elbow calms down then progress thru the rest of a normal HST cycle.

So for me the all three rep ranges in one week didn't work.

Firm

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jun. 19 2007,11:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do you have tennis elbow?</div>
No - it's on the knot of my elbow around the funny bone - triceps insertion area. A trainer friend thinks that I may have a calcium deposit there. My elbow looks like Popeye's.

i have been doing a similar shedule for a while and saw this thread and hoped perhaps my experience might prove useful.

i have very low recovery ability and constantly overtrained on the standard hst routine when i first started it years ago. i was acctually getting weaker and growing frustrated, so after thinking of many different ways to tweek hst. i thought up the 15,10,5 mon/wed/fri routine, and decided to give it a shot. straight away i noticed i wasn't over training anymore, my stength was constantly rising and i felt really good. eventually i burned out again ( but at my biggest ever size). due to this and various other ongoing things in my life, i decided to pack in traing for a while to sort things out.

when i started back up i decided to buy a bench and workout from home as the local gym changed into a female targeted gym, i.e. brough in all machines and i could literally lift every one at the heaviest setting. i bought a decline/flat/inclide bench and a bb+db's.

i decided to change the reps, but kept the same frequency i.e. mon/wed/fri

so mon - 8 reps x2
wed - 6 reps x2
fri - 4 reps x2

every week my weights moved up 5lbs each db and 20lbs the bb. i noticed the added upper body mass immediatley. i feel this was a fantastic workout routine and can say without doubt it is better than the standard hst routine in every aspect bar 1 for me at least.

bar 1 - i eventually had to stop due to left shoulder strain, that will not go away, so perhaps the reps were too low. although i never do warmups, so it was probably only a matter of time before something happened. perhaps if i had kept the original rep ranges recommended by bryan i would be better off.

i am going to try a few high rep set for the shoulder to try to get it sorted before i get back into it.

mikeynov - did you try the 15/10/5's? if so how did you get on? any injuries, over training, stength and size gains etc? i think i will go back to that rep range.

quaddancer - have you tried the 3 set 15,10,5 per excercise you were going to try as it too is something i have been toying with in my head, as hitting all 3 muscle types at once along with warmup, conditioning, power, stength, hypertrophy all in the same workout makes sense. i think i'd have to reduce frequency to twice a week though to accomodate the increase in workload. but the studies show no real change in results from 2 to 3 times a week frequency anyway.

Dragon: no, for miscellaneous reasons we aborted that idea, but I can't say it won't work, since some have done similar things. Just like your lowrep scheme working...it is a shock to the system and will work for a while...then you have to do something else when that plateaus, but you probably know that.
There came up some intrinsic problems with the 3 range workouts, especially at the time of maxes. You'd be doing all 3 maxes at once, and IMO everything would suffer except the first set. That was the main thing. I feel like having these guys to discuss it with helped save me from a failed experiment, but I still don't know.
Another possibility would be to just use the 3 rep stuff to replace the 15's. I might try that yet, if I can figure out it's value.
Here we go again!
laugh.gif

the reason i ask is there a few really strong/big people use a similar system.

ifbb pro phil hernon, uses a similar system with his clients and did on himself too.

also theres a guy called john casler a.k.a. bio force that also uses a similar system and although he is older his strength increases were spectacular !!

i would use undulating loads with it were i to try it. so the max day would be followed with 2 days of lighter loads or a change in excercise, like westside does to avoid burnout !

I don't know if it has been mentioned but Mikey did you notice this was the idea Lyle originally proposed for Sporto(fairly advanced natty bber) in one of his &quot;block training&quot; threads. No doubt his loading and progression parameters would be different being advanced, but it did strike me as an amusing coincidence.

Is it just me, or is it lyle's size that I just can't get over? He IS the diet guru in a way, unless my reading of Tom Venuto's stuff takes over soon.
I know I shouldn't be prejudiced, but he strikes me like a doctor who smokes.
(exasperated smiley here...)

<div>
(codz3 @ Jul. 07 2007,23:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don't know if it has been mentioned but Mikey did you notice this was the idea Lyle originally proposed for Sporto(fairly advanced natty bber) in one of his &quot;block training&quot; threads. No doubt his loading and progression parameters would be different being advanced, but it did strike me as an amusing coincidence.</div>
I think that's the type of periodiozation lyle recommends to anyone, not just the advanced lifter. He's written a series of articles about it. This is an excerpt from part III:

Periodization for bodybuilders Part III

Type of training Reps (%1RM) Rest Tempo Set length Exercise
Strength training 1-5 (85%+) 3-5' 2-3/0/X 20&quot; or less Compound
Int. bodybuilding 4-6 (80-85%) 2-3' 3-4/0/1 20-30&quot; Compound
Ext. bodybuilding 6-8 (75-80%) 1-2' 3/0/2 30-40&quot; Compound
10-15 (70-75%) 1-2' 3/0/2 40-60&quot; Or Isolation
Really extensive N/A (60-65%) 1' 2/0/2 60-120&quot; Isolation

This has been discussed at HST before.

He is a speed skater, not a bber.

Unnecessary size would most likely be counterproductive to his sport.

apparently his degree is in physiology or excercise science, rather than nutrition, yet he is known for being the diet guy.

although in my eyes he looks like a pure ecto, and hence any diet would work wonders.

i'm waiting on the day some endo becomes a diet guru, strange how they are trying to lose weight the most yet yet none are gurus?
biggrin.gif

maybe i could be the first !!!

dragon diet rulz
laugh.gif

Back