And old, new approach to HST

I am finishing my third week of doing 15's, 5's and 10's each week. It is much less boring than the standard 2 weeks at each rep range. I see no big difference in gains but I am at a point where I rarely see significant gains anyway. The advantage I see is that I think I can do longer HST cycles this way. Granted that I will be working at my max for any time after week 4 or so but I don't think RBE will be as big a problem as it normally is because I hit each rep range only once per week. The only disadvantage I have come accross is that it requires a lot more changing of weights over a week"s time frame and requires meticulous record keeping for old farts like me who can't even remember what we had for breakfast, if we remembered to eat it, more less than what we lifted for 15 reps 7 days ago and then have to adjust that amount upward.  
laugh.gif

I have been doing a linear progression approach to my max-stim workout and find that lifting heavy all the time is wearying...I would like to try this approach of different loading throughout the week.
Incidently westside power-lifting training does something similar to this, once/week going really heavy and other days they do lighter speed work/etc. It works for the...one of the most successful power-lifting training programs in the world.

Based on my knowledge of training and hypertrophy this seems to be a legitimate version of HST. Anybody doing this currently?

Yeah Scientific.

I have played with this version.

It is similiar to Waterburys HFT routine.

Except of course with HST the volume is lower.

Bascially you use your 65 to 70 percent max on high rep days 3 sets of 12 reps

and for 4 sets of 6 reps use your 80 to 85 % rep max.

All sets start 2 reps shy of failure.

Again adjust the volume to hst style and I try to increase the weights by 2% each week.

Not as big of a jump in weights as HST but its way more fun.

Oh to add here is what a sample routine looked like for me.

Monday

3 sets of 12 reps

Wednesday 4 sets of 6 reps

Friday 2 sets of 18 reps

Monday 4 sets of 8 reps.

Again this was using Watebury's HFT plan.

Its more complicated than hst to make sure you are using more weight...but again its fun to do.

Also if you notice he recommends 24 to 36 reps depending on load.

So you could just change that to HST style of say 15 to 30 reps!
biggrin.gif

thought i might bring this back up as it sounds interesting. Looking to try something a bit different and i might give this approach a bash.

Does anyone else have any experience with this method

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Oct. 12 2006,20:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am finishing my third week of doing 15's, 5's and 10's each week. It is much less boring than the standard 2 weeks at each rep range. I see no big difference in gains but I am at a point where I rarely see significant gains anyway. The advantage I see is that I think I can do longer HST cycles this way. Granted that I will be working at my max for any time after week 4 or so but I don't think RBE will be as big a problem as it normally is because I hit each rep range only once per week. The only disadvantage I have come accross is that it requires a lot more changing of weights over a week&quot;s time frame and requires meticulous record keeping for old farts like me who can't even remember what we had for breakfast, if we remembered to eat it, more less than what we lifted for 15 reps 7 days ago and then have to adjust that amount upward.  
laugh.gif
</div>
Are you doing all rep ranges in one week ? If so, that doesn't seem progressive. If you're doing one rep range per week, then are you still arriving at your max on your last workout day?

My current cycle uses 15, 12, 8 and 5 reps, all in the same week but on different days. I progress in weight with each workout in any given week and from week to week in each rep range. I start initially at about 80% of my rep max and rep out and end my cycle at about 105% of my rep max and finish the required reps by using a lift and pause technique. It's a bit of a cross between HST and Waterbury's TBT routines. Although I realize the difference between Max Stim and Lift/Pause, it was actually in studying Dan's theories that got me into doing the Lift/Pause.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Nov. 26 2006,00:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have been doing a linear progression approach to my max-stim workout and find that lifting heavy all the time is wearying...I would like to try this approach of different loading throughout the week.
Incidently westside power-lifting training does something similar to this, once/week going really heavy and other days they do lighter speed work/etc.  It works for the...one of the most successful power-lifting training programs in the world.

Based on my knowledge of training and hypertrophy this seems to be a legitimate version of HST.  Anybody doing this currently?</div>
Since you are focusing on strength, and looking for some variety, you might also consider the 5x5 version that Vagrant is using; a high, low, medium day in each week, and see what you think about using that.
Just a thot.

Quad...I don't know if you noticed but that post of mine you responded to is a few months old. And I am currently doing a routine which maxes out once/week with lighter workouts between.

Last week I started a routine based on some of these principles.  Here's a quick look at what I'm doing:

Monday

A)  Trab bar DL 5x5
B1)  Bench press 5x5
B2)  Parallel grip chins 5x5
C1)  decline close/parallel grip DB press 4x5
C2)  ez bar curls 4x5

Wednesday

A1)  split squat 3x12
A2)  glute/ham raise 3x12
B1)  incline DB press 2x12
B2)  close grip supinated chins 2x12
C1)  decline DB tri extensions 2x12
C2)  incline DB curl 2x12
D1)  DB upright row 2x12
D2)  rear delt raise 2x12

Friday

A)  squat 3x8
B1)  dips 3x8
B2)  wide grip pronated chins 3x8
C1)  Behind the neck barbell press 3x8
C2)  DB row 3x8
D1)  BB extensions (with chains attached) 3x8
D2)  incline hammer curl 3x8

As per HST principles, I'm working up towards my 12, 8, and 5 RM's over the course of 6 weeks, so that in my last week each workout will be at or above my previously established maxes for each rep range.  Will keep members posted as to how everything is going.  

FYI, I'm coming off of a &quot;standard&quot; HST cycle.  Did 2 weeks SD.  Haven't taken off more than a week in as long as I can remember!

Ken

Forgive me if this has been asked somewhere else; I can't find it in this thread though.
What would happen if you did each workout in a pyramid, say, one set each for 15 reps, one for 10 reps and 5 or 6 reps using HST principles.
I see the same problem occuring here in the last week of maxes, but that week could be Mon 15rm, Wed. 10rm, and Fri-5rm for 3 sets each.

It seems to me that you would be increasing mitochondria, conditioning, and strength all together in a progressive scheme, eliminating the single function effect. Or no?

Quad I dont see anything wrong with it.

I personally like it, and I have done it.

I think as long as you stop around 2 reps shy of failure and you are increasing the weight as often as possible you will be okay.

I have done a ton of reading this past year and one thing I am certain of is once you understand the technical info around training.

You can do Lyles routine, or Max-stim, Hst or whatever and make good gains.

Just make sure you are keeping fatigue at bay.

Thanx Joe.
Near as I can figure, since there are 3 sets to be done per exersize, I need to stay closer to strength parameters for this and use the 4 main compounds and only a few iso units. I may still only do arms once a week and see if they improve on this.
Probably alternate squats with deads (I wanted more dead days anyway) bench with dips, but my wide dips are at 110x8 now and the bench is hurting the shoulders again...then T-bar rows alternating with pullups, and do standing bb presses, rotator cuff stuff, static grips now that Steve has shamed us all...and the arms once a week as I said before.
I think that will be enough; you?

Sounds good 3 sets will be fine I think.

Since I have gone to just compounds and 20 reps for the past 3 weeks my strength is up like crazy.

However I think that eventually I will shoot for 30 reps at that weight....( I hope).

One thing I am doing though is for chest.

I am doing incline bench 20 reps on Monday and Friday.

However on Wenesday I am busting out 3 to 4 sets of just flys...high rep stuff.

I am doing this b/c Steve got great improvements with his chest this way....and I think its helping mine as well.

Its also feels good to flush the muscles in the chest area / injured area with high rep pumps.

Im doing this since I am pushing the strenght envelope more than ever with my tendons!

Okay, here we go:
HST 3 - WAY
Workout 1:

Bench warmup 120x8
x15  x10  x5

Deads warmup 135x8
x15  x10  x5

T-Bar Rows warmup 135x8 if needed
x15  x10  x5

Arms no warmup, no 15's
x10  x5

Leg Raises
Rotators

Workout 2:

Standing Overhead Press warmup 45x8
x15  x10  x5

Squats warmup 225x8
x15  x10  x5

Pullups warmup BWx8
x15  x10  x5

Dips no warmup
x15  x10  x5

Situps
Rotators
Static Grips

Linear by default. This can be a pretty short routine (HA! The 5x5 was supposed to be too!) I'll take my maxes and set up like a normal HST cycle, incrementing the same with larger jumps for the bigger muscle groups.
Not wanting to blast into 5's just after a deload, I'm thinking that the first two workouts could be 2 sets of 15's before starting this program. Just to get the metabolism rolling and to adjust the weights for each exersize if needed.
As I did the HST in my linear progression thread, I'd repeat anything that I did not make reps in until I get it. If a stall occurs, I will zigzag that exersize only, like in 5x5.
If most of them stall, I zigzag the whole program or deload, or change to just 5's, or go to a 3x10 or Max Stim or....you see?
I can only guess as to how this program will work for me or you or whomever, but I've had it in my mind for a while. It was fun to finally sit down and think it out yesterday - and I'm open to suggestions too. Personally, I can't see anything wrong with it regarding volume, load, conditioning, strength or boredom factor.

Back