Are leg exercises necessary?

radical

Is it necessary to include leg exercises for HST to produce good results?

Can I just do upper-body exercises? Or will that mess up the training system?

Radical,
I have just finished a cycle of only upper body exercises mainly due to not having time (12 hour shifts - ow!) and have got fair gains. No figures sorry, but it definetly shows :)
However, I'm sure everyone here would agree that any gains would have been a lot better including legs.
Jazzer :)

I would say no. The HST principles are just as valid even if you're not specifically training your legs. However, you will of course not put on as much overall body mass, since you're not likely to build as much muscle on your legs as you would if you incorporated leg exercises in your training. As you probably are aware of, there are compound movements (deadlift etc) that also will hit the legs to some extent.

But it all depends on what your training goals are.

Regards,
/R

Nothing is more funnier than a big guy with chicken legs...

true BBers are noticed by the bulk of their legs
tounge.gif

I have to say that a chicken guy with monstrous legs would look even funnier :) .

But I agree to some extent. However, I also feel that todays pro bodybuilders have proportionally to big legs. I prefer the proportions of "old-school" bodybuilders such as the Schwarzenegger or Draper of the seventies or early eighties. No one can say that those guys had chicken legs, while they still not were looking as freaky (in a bad way) as todays bodybuilders.

Regards,
/ R

Lol, yeh. Some of those guys can't even walk properly. I've got to agree with Rain on the proportion thing.
Jazzer :)

Exactly. The point is that the HST principles by themselves do not say anything about which muscles to train -- except for emphasizing compounds, in general. The principles only says that research shows that your muscles will grow optimally by doing things the HST way. Which muscles? Your choice.

Regards,
/ R

There are a few guys at my gym who just look ridiculous. I mean, it looks absolutely embarrassing in my opinion to have a monstrous upper body with legs that have never been trained.

Heavy squats are the hardest exercise of all in my opinion. They are not only physically demanding but also mentally demanding.
Seriously, why would you not train legs? People look for all types of excuses when not to do something. Mate, if ya serious about your training, you will find time to train legs.
If you are not squatting, you are not really training.The fact is, you are not going to make any appreciable gains unless you incorporate a serious squatting routine into your overall programme.

I will guarantee, once you master the squat, it will soon become your favourite exercise.

Don't find excuses. Squat, just do it!

Good luck. Mick.

I don't know, a lot of people think that deadlifts are an acceptable substitute for squats. Personally, I like both and use both.

If you don't want to train legs, I would still include either squats or deads as they work more than just your legs. They are the best thing, in my opinion, for building a strong core.

....yeah, deadies are great for mass too, but I find that the forearms give out before you can really hit the lower body the way you would want.
Deadlifts are great to incorporate before squating, kinda like pre exhaustion, but in this case we go from compound to compound.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you are not squatting, you are not really training.The fact is, you are not going to make any appreciable gains unless you incorporate a serious squatting routine into your overall programme.

That is a load of . . . .

I haven't done squatting for 2 years or so now, started HST in Dec, put on ~9kgs in LBM from Dec-April this year.

You don't NEED squats for "appreciable gains" for either general or lower body...seriously, when nature was evolving humans she didn't decide that this one exercise would be the only one that could add mass to the legs . . .

Jester is correct. Brisbanemick, sorry, but you don't need to squat if your goal is bigger arms, a bigger chest or thicker back. Deadlifting, however, would help with your biceps and back greatly, due to the stretch married to the load in the exercise, assuming you use an over-under grip and alternate each training session.

Deadlifts will also do just as good a job at building a strong core as squats would, but direct core work is advised for athletes, so there's no use arguing for squats in terms of a strong core, either. There are alternatives.

However, if you want explosive ability (olylifter, sprinter, any kind've MMA or grappling), or you're looking to increase your vertical leap, it is (in my opinion, and the opinion of many others) absolutely vital that you include squats. After building a strength base, you can switch to speed work, and reactive work, but there's no need to get into that now.

Don't get me wrong, I love squats. They're a great exercise, and very functional when done correctly. However, don't pull the veil over people's eyes that they need squats to grow other parts of their body, aside from the legs. Sorry, it just doesn't work that way.

point taken fellas. I can appreciate those comments.

I just view squatting as an important exercise selection to build mass lower body in one, functional, compound movement as opposed to a few isolation exercises to target the same areas.

The ONLY lower body part of my routine is squats. Hit them hard, hit them fast, glutes, hams, quads and calves are done.

With all respect Jester, you still train legs right? you just don't use squats to train them.I believe squatting is the single best exercise to train legs, I didn;t say the only exercise mate.

The original posting of this thread was wheather to train legs at all and to add mass to your frame, one must target all those big prime movers down there right? A lot of weight in muscle can be added by making those legs grow.

What I was trying to get at I suppose, is that by adding a serious squatting routine, it is the quickestt route in adding that mass due to the compound mechanics of the movement.

You know what I mean?

Back