Beer drinkers beware!!!!

BIZ

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hepatic estrogen receptors and alcohol intake.

Colantoni A, Emanuele M, Kovacs E, Villa E, Van Thiel D.

Department of Medicine, Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA

Human liver contains estrogen receptors (ER) which render it sensitive to estrogen. Chronic ethanol ingestion in humans and rats results in alterations of circulating sex steroid levels and expression of sex hormone-dependent phenotype. The analysis and quantitation of hepatic estrogen receptor (ER) activity and sex hormone-responsive proteins have been performed over the past two decades. Alcohol abuse appears to induce an increase in ER content of human liver, especially in patients with alcoholic hepatitis actively drinking. This observation is reproduced in an experimental model of chronic alcohol feeding of rats. In male rat liver, the increased ER expression induced by alcohol is associated with an elevated proliferation rate of the hepatocytes. In female liver, the ER content is not affected by alcohol intake and apoptosis prevails over proliferation. The feminization of the liver in males may protect the liver from the severe alcohol-induced liver injury seen in females.
Whoever wants more estrogen receptors in your liver, raise your beer!!!

Beer is estrogenic, but it makes women photogenic. :)

I heard that beer's "estrogenic" properties are far worse than soy, and is the reason for "beer gut." You figure this applies for hard liquor too?
butbut.gif

cheers,
Jules

Yeah, I think the study just used alcohol actually. That explains why my lazy friend who drinks a lot of beer has a beer gut and nice boobs too!

Does he like drinking from his bra?
laugh.gif

I heard that the estrogenic properties from beer has to do with the alcohol being made from grain. Wine doesn't have this problem, but liquor would.

You know, I wonder if beer and soy makes women's . . .

:)
Jules

He could if he really set his mind to it! Maybe I can convince him to try it for a party gag...

Beer has just been removed from dietary requirements handbook. Man, I'll miss that ice cold cheap beer on Friday's.
sad.gif

Oh well, if I can save some muscle I'll give up the booze.

Are you with me vicious??

I like to periodize my training. Usually I switch between HST and PST (party specific training.) MY PST cycle is 2 weeks with progressive shots of vodka and whiskey (though not to failure, no sir!) followed by a 8-week strategic deconditioning period. Strategically, I do HST during it. :)

But seriously these studies apply more to boozers than the occasional pisser. Perhaps hydrate oneself (thus aiding the liver and decreasing alcohol's damaging effect) while drinking helps. Detox while intox.

cheers,
Jules

HAHAHA! Good one vicious! Bryan one said that one should avoid alcohol as much as possible, not due to estrogenic effects, but due to suppresion of testosterone production. I guess one who drinks even occasionally would be wasting his money on prohormones and such due to this effect? The prohormones may just be serving to bring test back to baseline after a binge weekend?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Bryan one said that one should avoid alcohol as much as possible, not due to estrogenic effects, but due to suppresion of testosterone production.

And that could be why. Higher estrogen levels tanks test levels. We know beer hurts protein synthesis (your firend's glycogen is "beechwood-aged")

However, yes, I can see how drinking (or smokingsnortingshootinggobbing) can hurt your hormonal profile. People forget that alcohol is a poison. Your body is not accustomed to ingesting large amounts of poison. Beer does a body good? (I wish.)

On the other hand, didn't Budweiser come out with low-carb beer? Woohoo a Ketogenic hangover!! Talk about wanting to die . . .

cheers,
Jules

Oh yeah. The commercial for low-carb beer was hilarious! A bunch of athletes training and working out and drinking beer. Can't you see it now. People at bars asking for diet beer with their buffalo wings and cheddar fries. "Hey, I'm on a diet!"

Who do you think will be the first pro team to serve it on the side line?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Who do you think will be the first pro team to serve it on the side line?

Sometimes I wonder about that Brett Favre. . . .

Hello mate, this is Lee Priest. After me and my mates do our 20-sets of wrist curls, we drink Lagerabolics, the new alcoholic postworkout drink from Fosterstech. Low in carbs so it's less filling, yet high on the glycemic index and has that famous Foster's taste. Delightful. Fortified with 40g of Fostertech's special wheat-myosin protein and creatine, Lagerabolics's unique Alcohol-Matrix Delivery System guarantees maximal Creatine upload. Crikee I can feel the creatine in my bloody head already! Ayyyy!!

Lagerbolics. Australian for post-workout drinks.
And coming soon, Absolut Orange, the vodka energy drink that will help you set new PR maxes!!

I am a bit confused ... it seems to me that the study said beer raises estrogen receptors in the liver. Is this the same thing as raising the estrogen level itself?

tounge.gif
tounge.gif
worship.gif
OMG, ROFL/LMAO. Is this the comedy relief thread?? Thanks guys, you cracked me up. Very creative. I'd say Vicious and Biz have a career in stand up comedy just waiting. Keep up the good work, and remember, "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder."
Have a fun weekend.
Arcturus

I really don't know Virtualcyber. Liver metabolizes fats. Possibly the more estrogen receptors, the more fats get converted into precursors for estrogen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

What's the difference between my girlfriend and a beer? One is cold and bitter, the other comes in a nice shiny package. Which is which? Better question: when you're drunk, does it matter?
laugh.gif

cheers,
Jules

Beer.. hmmm.. very nice.

Actually i worked out during one year for about 5 times a week, with one cardio day added. Looking back, i think it was mad, spending so much time in the gym, but life as a student let me. Anyways, i would go out twice a week, on Thursday and Saturday night, clubbing and drinking _mad_ amounts of beer. On Sunday i would even go to the gym (after sleeping till 1 in the afternoon) and i would be stronger than ever! No ####, really.

It really suprised me, but i would have so much energy on Sunday (i guess due to the carbs in beer). I was so fit (and younger) back then the late nighters wouldn't hurt me at all.
As i got less into cardio & less fit (and slightly older) I nolonger was able to pull the same stunt on Sundays... too bad really, but it was awesome for a while. ;-)

Here's another one: i noticed i sometimes had awesome workouts, when i drank a couple of beers about an hour before my workout. I actually experimented with it for a while, having a small Bud before going to gym.. it didn't always work, but when it did i felt as if i was on speed, being extremely strong! Someone told me it might be because the alcohol makes the blood thinner, and the carbs of course.

Anyways, these two things in mind, i never feel bad when i occasionally have a beer night. ;-)

Pieter

Back