benefit of cardio on off days

I may try this for a while on off days to see how it can help with fat loss... Thanks again!
smile.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Dec. 08 2006,02:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It always helps, try doing a before photo now and then post after 8 weeks to see difference in results!
wink.gif
</div>
I really should do that. I already notice a difference after two weeks HIT (mostly just learning which lifts I like), and now 1 week HST. Maybe it is just the creatine, but it feels good.

I tried Tabata for the first time this morning. Wow, that was hard. I am not even sure if I did it for 8 times or just 6. But I was worn out. It reminded me of how I felt after running the 800m in high school (not that bad, but close). I feel good now, 3 hours later.
biggrin.gif

fausto when you said this
For now it is on off days, I am doing a 2 x week protocol so the other three days I do Tabata, I am tempted to start doing it in the morning fasted...might find interesting results.

i hope you were talking about ss-cardio or joking.
if you do tabata fasted your BPM will be way above 135 so you will be in the carb burning zone,and as you have none you will be using muscle.

After doing some reading, and thinking... I think I will do my Tabata after my workouts. Is there any negative to doing it right after my workout at night (9:00pm)? That way it will give me a full 24 hours for recovery. That is what I did tonight.

It probably isn't a good idea to be doing it after workouts if you are nearing the end of your day because you will need to eat a lot more to make up for the glycogen depletion from all that excercise.

If you still insist on doing it all in one day try this:
Tabata 20-30 minutes before dinner, Eat dinner, then workout (HST) as you normally would.

It has been some months since I read the Tabata stuff, but if memory serves me there was elevated GH release with Tabatas as well.

I usually do my cardio in the morning.  I tried it fasting for a while thinking that it might burn off more fat, but I found I just couldn't get a good enough workout without some more fuel.  I usually take a workout shake before and that seems to do the trick -- breakfast comes after.  I would be interested in what Fausto's experience is if he tries this.

You would probably have the most success(in terms of energy) with your workouts if you add some oatmeal or some form of carb in with ur morning protein shake. I just eat oatmeal with some whey protein and L-carntine.

Faz

To curb your fears, I'd be eating my oatmeal (about 300 g at least loaded with protein powder (120 g - equivalent to 48 g protein + carbs), I don't think the muscle will be wasted dude.

Then its hiho...hiho...its off to work I go, I should be fine, will keep you posted!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Dec. 12 2006,08:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Faz

To curb your fears, I'd be eating my oatmeal (about 300 g at least loaded with protein powder (120 g - equivalent to 48 g protein + carbs), I don't think the muscle will be wasted dude.

Then its hiho...hiho...its off to work I go, I should be fine, will keep you posted!
biggrin.gif
</div>
good man
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Cova @ Dec. 12 2006,00:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It probably isn't a good idea to be doing it after workouts if you are nearing the end of your day because you will need to eat a lot more to make up for the glycogen depletion from all that excercise.

If you still insist on doing it all in one day try this:
Tabata 20-30 minutes before dinner, Eat dinner, then workout (HST) as you normally would.</div>
Just out of curiousity and because that is what I did last night, what would happen if you did Tabata right after lifting, at night? I did take my protein shake after as well as a bowl of rasin bran, but didn't eat much. I love the way I feel at night after I do all that, I sleep really good. But obviously don't want to do it if it causes me to not gain muscle.

The only time I have is in the morning, or at night. So maybe I will go back to my original plan, and do Tabata in the morning.

As long as you are not doing it on an empty stomach you shouldn't have to worry. The only problem with doing it after lifting weights is you are prone to overtraining, even if you eat after weights.

For morning routines of tabata...do not do it on an empty stomach because there is a potential to breakdown the proteins in your muscles while burning fat.

the idea of tabata or HIIT is to lose fat due to EPOC.

now seing as weights are basicly high-intensity and also use EPOC i cant see the point of doing one after the other.

do HIIT or tabata on non weight days,if you want to do cardio after weights do ss-cardio.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

I'd like to hear the opinions of Totentanz, Dan Moore and Bryan Haycock about this. Also, in the studies that showed more muscle mass gains in the weight training+cardio groups versus weight training groups, was the extra mass gain uniquely in the legs or also to some extent in the upper body?

Traps

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just out of curiousity and because that is what I did last night, what would happen if you did Tabata right after lifting, at night?</div>

This will send you into catabolic mode, whcih is not what you want, rather do it in the morning if you do it the same day, else on the day off, do them as hard as you possibly can.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Tabata squats hurt</div>

This Tabata variations are for madmen out there!
laugh.gif
The original was performed on stationary bikes, but you can do it with basically anything if you really want to...but squats
rock.gif
You gotta be kidding me
biggrin.gif

I have been doing it with the thruster as described here

I have only been using 10 lb dumbbells, because if I use any more I cannot finish. I sure feel it in my legs when I am done. I figure that maybe adding this in will force my legs to grow.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This Tabata variations are for madmen out there!
laugh.gif
The original was performed on stationary bikes, but you can do it with basically anything if you really want to...but squats
rock.gif
You gotta be kidding me
biggrin.gif
</div>

I was kidding myself. They were too much!
sad.gif

Back