bromocriptine

Its a prescription drug

you can do a search for it on google, which is the simplest

or on pubmed

or go to www.qfac.com I think for lyles book.

or you could be like 1/2 the people on mfw and say its rubbish and full of false one sided information, without actually reading it.

hmmm

I was wondering because
Lyle McDonald has written about it
(he has a new book out on that -- but I have not
purchased it yet).

I have read that bromocriptine fights prolactin, which is
partly responsible for fat deposits. (Prolactin is said to
increase as we age). But I have not heard anything major.

Other info: it is supposed to be dopamine receptor
agonist, and pro BB's use it for cutting.

Well - I've ordered the book and got hold of somme bromo. If anyone's interested I can give an update when I finish my cycle.

Lars,

Let us know what Lyle says. This is really interesting.
I have been taking CLA -- but god knows when the
effect of that stuff will kick in. (The only reason I am
taking it is that ... the effect is supposed to be
quite long-term, toward leanness).

There's lots of info om Bromo on the 'net, so I don't think I'll go into detail about too much of what's only in the book.

I don't think you can compare CLA with bromo, though. One is a drug while the other is fat. Some research I found from 1996 (?) said the bromo group lost between 1.2 and 4.8kg per week on a moderate low-caloric diet. No work-outs were mentioned. Also, it seems bromo target fat when you lose weight. :)

On the other hand, bromo, as most drugs, has its bad side: headaches, diarhea, low blood pressure etc etc.

One more bromocriptine application...

Dopamine Extinguishes Smoking

WEDNESDAY, Sept 4 (HealthScoutNews) -- Medicine that mimics increased levels of the brain chemical dopamine could help extinguish a smoker's desire for cigarettes.

That's the finding of a study, appearing in the September issue of Nicotine and Tobacco Research, that focused on 20 heavy smokers. They were given drugs that either increased or decreased their brain's dopamine levels. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that affects motor function and is believed to affect emotion.

Animal studies show nicotine causes dopamine release in brain areas linked to feelings of pleasure.

This new study found that when the smokers were given the dopamine-mimicking drug bromocriptine, they smoked less than when given a drug that impedes the effects of dopamine.

Bromocriptine is used to treat Parkinson's disease ( news - web sites), some tumors and menstrual problems.

"Overall, these results imply that smoking behavior can be manipulated within the same subjects in opposite directions by alternately stimulating and blocking dopamine, which strongly suggests the importance of dopamine in reinforcement from cigarette smoking," says lead researcher Nicholas H. Caskey, of the Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System and the Neuropsychiatric Institute at UCLA's David Geffen School of Medicine.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm....inter=1

I have had chance to read more about it, and the drug basically fools your body into being "happy" about its current state, via "helping" dopamine receptors.

We know that food intake is modulated by dopamine.  So, the idea here is to increase the dopamine activation at the receptors, via bromocriptine (via means I have no clue about).  The increase will compensate for the decrease in dopamine level due to the lessened food intake.  From what I understand, nicotine works similarly.

Like other stuff that bb's take, you probably have to cycle it ...

It then indirectly increases leptin - which counteracts the effects induced by dieting (lowered metabolism most importantly). It affects nutrient partioning - making more glycogen go to muscles. It affects sexual arousal AND performance - acting as a prolactin-inhibitor=increasing your interest in sex and giving you better control over orgasms, giving you stronger orgasms, and shortening the refractory period (making men able to keep going after orgasm). It affects endogenous hormone levels positively - most importantly post-cycle in AAS users.

In other words, I really need to try this stuff!  
thumbs-up.gif

Blade

Perhaps I did not get this right, but what I remember is that bromo does not directly increase leptin, but it makes your brain _think_ that your leptin level is fine, because dopamine receptors see more dopamine (either due to increased dopmine level of due to increased sensitivity at the receptors).

Let us know how it goes ... it seems that some folks have severe sides and others actually LIKE it.

I can't seem to find a place where people are offering unbiased feedback after a month or so of use. The only thing that I have found are the people that are having problems with dizziness, nightmares, etc., no results.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what I remember is that bromo does not directly increase leptin, but it makes your brain _think_ that your leptin level is fine, because dopamine receptors see more dopamine (either due to increased dopmine level of due to increased sensitivity at the receptors).
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yes. You are so right - my mistake...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only thing that I have found are the people that are having problems with dizziness, nightmares, etc., no results.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Those effects should disappear after long-term use.

I'm interested in purchasing Lyle's book but was wondering how e-books work. Do you just download a file to your CPU?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ryan @ Sep. 05 2002,11:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can't seem to find a place where people are offering unbiased feedback after a month or so of use.  The only thing that I have found are the people that are having problems with dizziness, nightmares, etc., no results.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Most people are probably using it when they dont need, ie when they are fat thinking its going to make them lean quicker.
It will be only of use when your body fat is below set point, probbaly significantly below set point.  And even then it only 'helps' with the fat loss.]

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Dopamine Extinguishes Smoking[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> Nicotine and brocriptamine work on the same principal in terms of dopamine

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
Nicotine and brocriptamine work on the same principal in terms of dopamine
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Not exactly. Nicotine raises dopamine levels in the brain. Bromo does not increase dopamine levels in the brain. Rather, it attaches to the D2 receptor in the brain and sends the dopamine signal.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron_F @ Sep. 07 2002,3:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It will be only of use when your body fat is below set point, probbaly significantly below set point.  And even then it only 'helps' with the fat loss.][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Assuming Lyle is correct in his theory (I think he is, for the most part, but I think he is too general), then this is not totally true.

Partial saturation of leptin transport at very low plasma leptin levels, and fat people have significant leptin resistence (and unlike peripheral leptin injection, Bromo is not hindered by BBB transport), so there is certainly room for improvement.

Though, the very lean will indeed benefit the most, as they would with leptin or pro-leptigenic compounds.

Yes, and he talks about that in the e-book. Also discusses different usage for different populations. I'm more interested in the effect it has on sex drive and hormone levels anyways :D :D :D

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm interested in purchasing Lyle's book but was wondering how e-books work. Do you just download a file to your CPU?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

His way of implementing it is requiring a username and password to access the text online. Unfortunately, it uses Java so you can't select text and copy it into your own word-document - you have to be online to read it...

Back