Brown rice seasoning?

magneto576

I just started my bulking diet today. Two of the meals have brown rice in them (in all, 3 cups of brown rice per day). I cooked the rice 2 days ago and am eating it now at work. I've mixed it with green beans. It looks really gross, some of the grains are tinted slightly yellow. Its been kept in the refridgereator the whole time. I feel like i'm eating something on fear factor, the stuff just looks and tastes gross. Soooo
wow.gif
, what do you guys put on your brown rice to make it edible but still healthy?

It sounds to me like you overcooked it, or cooked it too fast. when you do that, the grains split, and spill the germ out as gelatinous whitish-colored mass. (I've never seen yellow, but it could be the variety you're using.) Try soaking one cup of rice in 2.5 cups of cold water in a cooking pot with a tight-fitting lid for about 4 hours. Then, put the pot onto the stove and bring slowly to a boil. As soon as it boils, cut the heat to as low as it will go, and let it simmer for about 45- minutes. Do not stir, nor lift the lid until this much time has passed, or you can hear a gentle "crackling" sound in the pot. Sample a couple of grains and see if they're done- brown rice should have a chewy consistency, not at all like white rice. If it's not done, cut the heat completely, and let the covered pot stand for another 10 minutes, but whatever you do, don't stir the rice. For some inexplicable reason, this will completely disturb the moisture balance in the pot, and you need that to continue steaming to the desired state of doneness.
Let the rice get to room temp prior to refrigerating it- you want the excess steam to evaporate off. Oh- also, for each cup of rice, you could try adding about 1 tablespoon of butter- this helps the grains stay separated after they're cooked. And, I'm assuming you're putting in about .5 teaspoon of salt per cup of rice- without salt in the cooking water (add it with the rice), it will taste so flat it's vile.
I have a feeling this might be way more information than you need, but I hope it helps- good luck!
Jake

Thanks guys. I didnt add any salt at all to this rice and I also sealed it with one of those machines that takes out all of the air. When I opened the bag it was all stuck together in a huge mess. Thanks again for the help, hopefully the next batch will turn out better!

Back