Browners Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Browner, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Browner

Browner Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

Its been a while, but I'm back on the HST forum. I have been training over the last few years, just not HST, and haven't been using the Forum. But after consideration, and review, HST has the best results for me, so I'm going to get back on it! I also need to loose the Christmas belly, and I find HST really boost my metabolism, and is great for getting and staying lean. My program will be 2 weeks 15 reps, 2 weeks 10 reps, 2 weeks 5 reps then 2 weeks negs. First two weeks will be as follows;

Workout HST to be done on MON/WED/FRI
    Squats
    SLDLs
    Leg Ext
    BB Bench Press
    DB Flyes
    Lat Pull Down (WG)
    Bent Over Row
    Shrugs
    Military Press
    Dumbbell Lat Raises
    Bicep Curl
    Tricep Pushdown
    Calf Raises

TUE:
    Foorball Training

THUR:
    HIIT Cardio

SAT:
    Football

SUN:
    Rest

With regards diet and nutrients, I'm going to eat under maintenance calories because I have christmas belly to shift;

Calories: 2400
    Protein: 240g
    Carbs: 220g
    Fat: 50g

Its good to be back!!

2. Browner

Update from last nights session;

Squats: 2 sets of 60kg x 15
    Bench: 2 sets 55kg x15
    BOR: 2 sets 50kg x 15
    Shrugs: 2 sets 60kg x 15
    Military Press: 2 sets of 30kg x 15
    DB Lat Raise: 2 sets of 6kg x 15
    Seated bicep curl: 2 sets of 8kg x 15
    Tricep Pushdowns: 2 sets of 55kg x 15

Followed by some steady state cardio. Incline treadmill. Incline set at 5.0, and speed of 6.5 mph - 20mins

3. Browner

Update from Friday's workout. 2x 15 rep stage;
    Squat - 62.5kg
    SLDS - 40kg
    Leg Extensions - 28kg
    Bench Press - 62.5 kg
    Lat Pull Down - 40kg
    BOR - 52.5kg
    Shrugs - 62.5kg
    MP - 32.5kg
    Lat Raise - 6kg
    DB Bicep Curl - 10kg
    Tricep Pushdown - 45kg
    Calf Raises - lvl 6 (machine standing)

Finished the session with 5 x 250m sprints on the rowing machine.

4. Browner

Before I post last nights workout, I wanted to share a revelation I have had thanks to this you tube clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1b7ejKOb5g. Im always someone who wonders what program to do, and thinks about changing programs all the time, but after watching this, I am making a commitment to sticking with HST for a year. So if anyone has any tips, tricks insights, on tweaking or improving the standard HST program I would be very interested to hear what you guys think. Now time for last nights workout;

2 x 15 reps on each exercise;
    Squat: 70kg
    SLDLs: 50kg
    Bench Press: 65 kg
    Lat Pull Down: 45kg
    Bent Over Row: 55kg
    Barbell Shrugs: 65kg
    Military Press: 35kg
    DB Lateral Raises: 6kg
    Seated Bicep Curls: 12kg
    Cable Triceps Pushdown: 40kg
    Calf Raieses: lvl 7 (Machine Standing)

I also finished with a 5K Run on the treadmill as I am trying to cut down bodyfat %

Would love to hear what you guys do in your HST program, and how you put your exercises together, or if you have any variations on the HST program.

5. Browner

Latest entry to the log;

Week 2, Day 1 (2 x 15 reps on each)
    Squat - 80kg
    SLDLs - 55kg
    Bench - 67.5kg
    Seated Row - 40kg
    Military Press - 37.5kg
    BB Shrug - 67.5kg

Ended the work out with a 2k run on the tradmill, at a steady pace of 10kph

I have also decided to do arms/abs/calfs on Tue/Thur/Sat. So I will do the above ecercises on Mon/Wed/Fri then on Tue/Thur/Sat I will do the following workout;

Ez Bar Curls
    DB Hammer Curls
    Skull Crushers
    Cable Crunches
    Calf Raises

If anyone has any thoughts on whether this would be good or bad, I would like to hear about them.

6. Browner

I am thinking about starting an Intermittent Fasting diet, however I am unsure how to start. Does anyone have a dummies guide on how to start IF?

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Pick a log - no need for two .. ?

8. gbglifter

gbglifter Member

I use leangains IF. Google that and you should find the page. Theres all the info.

9. Browner

Week 2, Day 2 - 2 x 15 reps on all

Seated Row - 45kg
    Military Press - 40kg
    BB Shrug - 80kg
    Leg Press - 150kg
    EZ Bar Curl - 15kg
    Leg Extensions - 30kg
    Incline Bench Press - 50kg

Followed by 20 mins HIIT on the treadmill.

I have also decided my IF diet plan will be:

05:30 Black Coffee
    10:00 Black Coffee
    13:00 Grilled Chicken Breast/Brown Pasta/Mixed Veg/2 Boiled Eggs
    15:00 Tuna Wrap/Handful Almond
    18:00 Pre workout Shake
    19:00 Post Workout Shake/Low Fat Yogurt
    19:00 Dinner - Steak/Veg/Sweet Potatoes
    21:00 Protein Pancake with Poached eggs

Macros will be for a cut;
    Cals: 2400
    P: 235
    C: 165
    F: 83

10. Browner

Week 2 - Thursday (2x15reps)

B/B Close Grip Bench Press - 50kg
    Cable Pushdowns - 45kg
    EZ Bar Curl - 24kg
    D/B Hammer Curl - 10kg
    Machine Calf Raises - lvl 7
    Cable Crunch - 50 kg

Week 2, Friday 9 (2 x 15 reps on each)

B/B Squat - 85kg
    Leg Press - 160kg
    Bench Press - 70kg
    Seated Row - 45kg
    Lat Pulldown - 52kg
    Military Press - 42.5kg
    B/B Shrugs - 85kg
    Machine Leg Extensions - 34kg
    D/B Lat Raises - 8kg

Saturday morning completed a 5K run as football was called off at a pace of just under 9 min per mile.

Looking forward to ramping up the weights for the 10 reps! Loving my return to HST

11. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of your Tu-Th-Sa plans. Simply put; it doesn't make enough sense, and here's why (my $0.02);

a) They're tiny muscles. Not yours per se, but arms and calves. They're getting plenty of work M-W-F.

b) You're going to run the risk of fatiguing those tiny muscles (in terms of an ongoing state), which means your compounds are going to suffer. The extrapolation here is that when your compounds get better (i.e. you get stronger), EVERYTHING gets bigger. I'm yet to see a tiny guy who can hit the 500-400-300 with ease. Of the smaller guys I have seen do this, they only classify as 'small' because they're either short, or have minimal body fat. Furthermore, what's building bigger forearms; heavy deads or heavy hammer curls?m

c) Potential connective tissue damage. They're all isolation movements, with the possible exception of the crunches. These days, you couldn't pay me to do curls and crushers 3x a week from an injury-avoidance perspective (and that's not even taking into account how inferior they are at buildingarm- muscle compared to chins, rows, deads and pressing).

If anything, I'd run an extra normal full-body session on Tuesday and then post-football on Saturday I would do 1x warm up + 1x heavy working set for everything, minus the curls, pushdowns and lat raises.

P.S. I presume football relates to soccer, rugby or AFL - not NFL ?

12. Browner

Thanks for your views, and putting at as constructively as you did.

I was in 2 minds as to whether or not to move the isolation to Tue/Thur. However after review, and looking at your comments, I think I will move one bicep exercise, one tricep exercise, and one calf exercise to Mon/Wed/Fri or remove them completely, depending on time in the gym, as I try and keep my weight sessions under 1hr 1/2 if I can, then keep Tue/Thur for cardio or rest.

Yes football I play is what you probably call soccer. Due to the weather here in the UK, most of our games are getting cancelled due to waterlogged pitches, and that's why I have increased my cardio work, to maintain my aerobic fitness.

Thanks again for your feedback.

13. Browner

Before anyone Laughs, I am thinking of taking up yoga one night a week to help with flexibly, and potentially gain strength, discuss.......

14. Browner

​Update from last nights training session.

Week 3, Day 1 - (2 sets of 10 reps on each)
    BB Squat - 90Kg
    SLDL - 60kg
    Leg Press - 170kg
    BB Bench Press - 80kg
    Seated Row - 50kg
    Military Press - 45kg
    BB Shrug - 87.5kg
    Lat WG Pull Down - 60kg
    EZ Bar Curl - 20kg
    Cable Crunch - 55kg

20 Mins Steady State Cardio on Bike

Ive also decided to give Yoga a go, once a week on a Thursday. Really want to increase flexibility, and also loose body fat, and I have been told that yoga is really good for burning fat. Whether its true or not I don't know, but thought why not give it a go. I'll keep you updated with my progress on that too.

15. Nothing wrong with yoga! Only guys hating on that are those who are trying to compensate for some manner of shortcoming... I'm thinking about trying a yoga class in the middle of the week in order to improve my flexibility and therefore increase my ability to avoid injury. I'm not sure it will make you stronger per se, but may increase the strengh of stabalizers, which could translate into strength gains; but will translate into greater injury avoidance.

16. Browner

Thanks! I also think improving my flexibility will help with the other sports that I play too.

17. Browner

Week 3 Day 2 - 10 reps

Warm up - 25 minute walk to the gym
    Chin Ups - 1 set @ BW
    BB Bench Press - 2 sets @ 85kg
    DB Flies - 2 sets @ 14kg
    DB Shoulder Press - 2 sets @ 24kg
    BB Squat - 2 sets @ 100kg
    Romanian Deadlift - 2 sets @ 70kg
    Lat Pull Down - 2 sets @ 65kg
    DB Shrug - 2 sets @ 28kg
    Cable Crunch (15 reps) 2 sets @ 60kg
    25 minute walk home*

*As I am trying to loose bodyfat, I will be walking to and from the gym. I find this is great for low intensity cardio, especially as on the way home its all up hill. I also will use it as a chance to listen to audio books, as I dont often get a chance to sit down and read. Last night I started listening to "The King Within" by Robert Moore.

I would be interested to hear what you guys and girls read or listen too.

Tonight will also be my first Yoga session, so I will also let you know how that goes.

18. Browner

Yoga is HARD!!

So to start with, I did my first Yoga class last Thursday, and I had no idea how hard that is, and how inflexible I was. It made me realise I have a lot of muscle tightness I need to address, so I will be sticking with the yoga at least once a week, and I hope to make progress each week, and improve my flexibility.

Firday's update to the HST log
    Week 2, Day 3 (10 reps)

AM - Fasted Cardio - 3 Mile walk
    PM - HST (2 sets of 10 reps on each)
    • Close Grip Chin Up - BW
    • Deadlift - 110kg
    • Leg Press - 200kg
    • DB Incline Bench - 28kg
    • DB Flyes - 16kg
    • Lat Pull Down WG - 70kg
    • DB Arnold Press - 20kg
    • BB Shrug - 90kg
    • DB Lat Raises - 10kg

Thanks for stopping by!

19. Browner

Second week of 10s Begin

Week 3, Day 1 (MON-10 reps)
    2 sets of 10 on each;
    -Barbell Bent Over Row - 60kg
    -Lat Pulldown WG - 72kg
    -Barbell Bench Press - 90kg
    -DB Flyes - 20kg
    -DB Shoulder Press - 28kg
    -Barbell Shrug - 95kg
    -Barbell Squat - 110kg
    -SLDL - 70kg
    -Tricep Pushdown - 50kg
    -Alternate DB Curl - 18kg

Now I am well into the 10s, starting to see and feel some progress. I have also just purchased a foam roller, in my continued efforts to improve flexibility. If anyone can recommend good exercises or a program for the roller I will be all ears.

Cheers
    Browner!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  20. Browner

Advice Please

I am currently doing a 'Transformation Challenge' to try and win £500 worth of vouchers for MyProtein.com. However I have a slight dilemma I wondered if you guys could help me with.

I coincided the start of this challenge with the beginning of this HST cycle, with the aim of shedding as much body fat as I can. My 8 Week HST cycle will come to an end on 28th Feb, and when I should start my SD period. However the competition end date is 9th of March, giving me an extra week of training.

What do you think would be the best use of this week;
    a) SD anyway
    b) Carry on with 5 reps
    c) Drop to 3 reps
    d) Use this week for Negative reps
    e) Another plan I haven't thought of

Answers on a postcard please, and I would be very grateful.

Cheers